CCW question for South Carolinians

This is a discussion on CCW question for South Carolinians within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For those of you familiar with the Koger Center in Columbia, I'm taking my daughter there to see the Nutcracker. Does anyone know if CC ...

Thread: CCW question for South Carolinians

CCW question for South Carolinians

For those of you familiar with the Koger Center in Columbia, I'm taking my daughter there to see the Nutcracker. Does anyone know if CC is disallowed there?

2. Remove Ads

Do they serve alcohol? Then no carry

Also, if it's on USC campus, then NO carry also.

ETA:
    The Koger Center is located on the campus of the University of South Carolina at the corner of Assembly Street and Greene Street.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

I didn't realize that the Koger Center was part of USC. I was more concerned about it being posted. That takes care of that.

Thanks

Ok, so the issue is still being "hotly" contested...

having read the posts in another thread about CCW is SC restaurants that serve alcohol for on premises consumption; I gather that still tends to be the general impression or has it changed?

I'm heading thru there next week and was wondering.
    "J.R." Ewing
    Common Sense isn't always Common Practice!

There remains some debate among some as to what the law actually says versus what SLED says it says. CCW instructors are required by SLED to teach that it is not permissable. Some people believe that if they are well concealed, not drinking, and not in the bar area...who's to know. Some have determined that the penalty is too great to risk it. I guess the choice is yours.

Quote Originally Posted by JR Ewing View Post
    having read the posts in another thread about CCW is SC restaurants that serve alcohol for on premises consumption; I gather that still tends to be the general impression or has it changed?

I'm heading thru there next week and was wondering.
    JR you are all over the place and I'm hot on your tail.
    No you cannot carry in a restaurant serves alcohol in SC.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Fox View Post
    There remains some debate among some as to what the law actually says versus what SLED says it says. CCW instructors are required by SLED to teach that it is not permissable. Some people believe that if they are well concealed, not drinking, and not in the bar area...who's to know. Some have determined that the penalty is too great to risk it. I guess the choice is yours.
    Sums it up nicely. I might just add that SLED appears to be teaching it because that is the opinion of the AG that they "meant" to make it that way. And its not so much "who's to know" but whether or not the law even says that. Or what would they exactly be charging you with? So its all a matter of what you chose to believe IS the law after you read the law. But most of us simply assume its too risky to be a test case so we just don't carry there.

Swampfox, jframe, and cphilip, thanks for the replies. I tried posting for SC and GA separately, but didn't get any replies...so, I created a separate thread specifically to address my questions/concerns for both.

Thanks!
    "J.R." Ewing
    Common Sense isn't always Common Practice!

To take this a step further,...

In many counties in S.C. establishments can't sell alcohol on Sundays. So, I wanted to know if they can't sell alcohol on Sundays, then is it legal to carry in those places on Sunday?

Apparently the answer is still "no". If the establishment is licensed to sell alcohol - period - it is not legal to carry there regardless of what day it is.

This according to "Grassroots S.C." ( GrassRoots South Carolina - Our Goal: Citizens carrying arms whenever and wherever they choose. )

As gun friendly as SC is, there are some quirky laws that just don't seem practical. For instance it is lawful to use a firearm while intoxicated for self defense (23-31-400(D)) but unlawful for a CWP holder to graze at the salad bat at Pizza Hut.

Quote Originally Posted by Vtxdpm View Post
    To take this a step further,...

In many counties in S.C. establishments can't sell alcohol on Sundays. So, I wanted to know if they can't sell alcohol on Sundays, then is it legal to carry in those places on Sunday?

Apparently the answer is still "no". If the establishment is licensed to sell alcohol - period - it is not legal to carry there regardless of what day it is.

This according to "Grassroots S.C." ( GrassRoots South Carolina - Our Goal: Citizens carrying arms whenever and wherever they choose. )
    Have you joined GRGR in SC? If not, do so. As I said in the other thread, a bill will be introduced to take care of the easting establishment problem ans also the driving on shcool property deal.

If we stay on it this year they will both pass. If not we may be in for a wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Fox View Post
    As gun friendly as SC is, there are some quirky laws that just don't seem practical. For instance it is lawful to use a firearm while intoxicated for self defense (23-31-400(D)) but unlawful for a CWP holder to graze at the salad bat at Pizza Hut.
    There is even yet another law covering Discharging of a firearm while intoxicated making that illegal.

Some of it doesn't make sense, for sure.

Particularly the interpretation on carrying in an establishment that serves alcohol. A careful reading of the law finds that Concealed carry in there, with a CWP is indeed, by definition, Lawful Carry. But yet the AG keeps insisting that the Legislators "meant" for it to be a prohibition by making it part of an "additional Charge for unlawful Carry". He really is grasping at straws there for sure. But he insists... And so thats where it comes from. That interpretation. Not the actual reading of the laws.

But... what are ya gonna do? You just hope for some point some clarification or another law clarifying that.

Taken from SC SLED Website: South Carolina Law Enforcement Division

Hand Gun Section

SECTION 16-23-420. Carrying or displaying firearms in public buildings or areas adjacent thereto.

(A) It is unlawful for a person to possess a firearm of any kind on any premises or property owned, operated, or controlled by a private or public school, college, university, technical college, other post secondary institution, or in any publicly-owned building, without the express permission of the authorities in charge of the premises or property.

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    There is even yet another law covering Discharging of a firearm while intoxicated making that illegal.
    That is part of the section I quoted above - here is an excerpt:

(B) It is unlawful for a person who is under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance to use a firearm in this State.

(C) A person who violates the provisions of subsection (B) is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined not less than two thousand dollars or imprisoned not more than two years.

(D) This article does not apply to persons lawfully defending themselves or their property.
    As far as the AG opinion vs how the law reads, I'm really more concerned about what would happen if an hysterical restaurant patron/employee was somehow suspicious that I might be carrying and then what would the fall out be? I think we have discussed once before about what the cops are being taught on how to handle but I don't know if a conclusion was ever reached.

Yes. I was just pointing out B and C exist. But one wonders how being intoxicated might risk the favorable determination of self defense in a situation were things might be a little cloudy. However in a clear cut case that is certainly helpful.

Yea. Anything we could figure would be conjecture. I would imagine they would ask you to leave and be put on trespass notice, just as if the place was posted... but... again... just conjecture.

Links