Conceal Cary, yet visible

This is a discussion on Conceal Cary, yet visible within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, I understand that by law if you have CCL you have to hide the weapon, now is it a big deal if your concealed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conceal Cary, yet visible

Conceal Cary, yet visible

Ok, I understand that by law if you have CCL you have to hide the weapon, now is it a big deal if your concealed gun is slitly visible, either when you bend over or when you go for your walet etc...

Is it a big deal?

2. Remove Ads

jfl
    Depends on the state.
    Here in Florida it is not a big deal at all if it is NOT intentional.
    Happened to me several times, including in front of a few deputies, enough for them to see what kind of gun I was carrying and pulling my leg about tupperware (a derogative terms for Glocks - they use to come in a box that looks exactly like black tupperware).
    Then again, I have short hair, clean jeans, shirt, and vest and old enough to be their dad !
    When they pointed at me that my vest was tucked in exposing, I didn't look scared or confused, I thanked them with a big smile...

Now, in some states, I believe it would be serious trouble !!!
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Yes, could be a big deal, depending upon the state and the LEO who sees you or is called to talk to you.

Stay armed...concealed IS concealed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

In Texas, open carry I believe is illegal, so yes, keeping it concealed would be advisable.

However, Texas is one of few states where I believe open carry is illegal. Most states allow for open carry, even though LEOs in some areas might not be up to speed regarding that. Also in those states, having a concealed permit in no way limits you to concealed carry only. Though I wouldn't recommend switching from concealed to open every 5 seconds.

It really just comes down to your state.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Pennsylvania, OC is legal. So if I were to expose, it's ok. I carry in a Blackhawk SERPA and quite often the bottom of the holster sticks out a bit under my jacket.

In TX it is supposed to be concealed. IF it prints or shows a little your issues may vary depending on the "Man with a gun" call and how the LEO responds, etc. Some may call it brandishing, even though bending over and a little glimpse is not brandishing. Some may tell you to do a better job of concealing, etc. And others may write you a ticket, since technically you can have you CHL suspended, IIRC.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Is it a big deal?
    Even the "gold star" open carry states (AK, AZ, ID, KY, MT, NM, NV, SD, VA, VT, and WY) have no-carry zones. If you are in one of these states and not in a no-carry zone, accidental exposure is obviously no big deal. Anywhere else, it could be.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    In a former life I was a soundman for a number of bands. Both big and small. If a fight broke out, the biggest guy was the first to be attacked. (Take out the big guy or greatest threat firstt)

Exposing a gun, eventhough unintentionally, may open you up to be the initial target or the greatest threat in a bad situation. Keep everything well hidden, know and understand you environment and use exceptional judgement.

The more people know about you the less defence options you may have.

Craig

Don't know how big of a deal it is in the eyes of the law, but it would definitely be a big deal to me personally. If my concealed carry became even partially visible that would mean I'm not very good at what I'm doing. I usually put forth a 100% effort in anything I do, and if I ever get caught 'flashing', it would be a crushing blow to my self-esteem. That's big!

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Even the "gold star" open carry states (AK, AZ, ID, KY, MT, NM, NV, SD, VA, VT, and WY) have no-carry zones. If you are in one of these states and not in a no-carry zone, accidental exposure is obviously no big deal. Anywhere else, it could be.
    You forgot MN

We have "carry" permits not concealed carry permits so no big deal. Most people are
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

VIP Member
    Well the law in my state is you can open carry. So exposing your carry gun is simply a transition from concealed to open carry. We are by law required to open carry anywhere that serves adult beverages for consumption on the premises. So for some people there is a lot of transitioning.

If you are concerned about where you live you will probably want to consult a lawyer who specializes in criminal law. I would recommend that everyone do that before carrying. If you should ever find yourself in the position of using your firearm or really in any situation involving a criminal activity, it is money well spent.

I would suggest reading handgunlaw.us extensively and then talking to a lawyer. It will help focus your areas of concern and maximize the use of the time as handgunlaw.us researches and links to the current state laws on concealed carry and in many instances other guns laws and deadly force laws if applicable.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

duh- that's why it's a CONCEALED CARRY LISCENSE

you can lose it.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."
    -Thomas Jefferson

2 Chronicles 7:14

In SC, 1/3 of the gun can be exposed and still be w/in legal.

However, if the clothing is intentionally small so that a firearm can and would be exposed w/o bend, stooping, reaching, ect, then you're not legal.
    Printing is ok, too. Just no exposure beyond 1/3.

This info is directly from a state constable.

But remember, concealed means concealed. No ever needs to know you're carrying.
    Grassroots SC, SC CWP, NH NR-PRL

I prefer to fly under the radar and not be on the receiving end of "a man with a gun" call, much less a target.

VIP Member
    To me, why would I want to carelessly give away my tactical advantage? If my weapon is not concealed then I might as well open carry!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links