How do you scan? - Page 2

How do you scan?

This is a discussion on How do you scan? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good post for thought. When I'm leaving a store of any kind, I always pause outside for a few moments outside to "check my bags" ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you scan?

Good post for thought. When I'm leaving a store of any kind, I always pause outside for a few moments outside to "check my bags" and do a overall scan of the surroundings. (It is especially necessary for me to do this because of no perpheral vision on my right side.) Then I take an indirect route to my vehicle - never a straight route. Last year my wife and I had just left a local mall and were two rows over from where our truck was parked, when I realized that a car was slowly following - not looking for a space because there were plenty available. We quickly turned, crossed the two rows and they had no choice but to continue up the row. Luckly, they left the lot without any trouble. It could have been an innocent situation, but we'll never know. Purse snatchers love to use that method.

Wow some great posts on this thread. Having read them all thus far, I'd have to say I identify the most with Older Gunner in my own habits...but I also strongly believe in the Spidey sense because mine has saved my hide many times over the span of my adult life. Somebody made a comment here that has inspired me to start a new thread with a new question....
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Patient asessment training has done it for me. I couldn't tell you what kind of clothing I just cut off, but I can tell you about wounds, angles, depth, possible mechanism of injury, skin color, deficits, etc..

As stated, generalities reveal specifics- look at the total scene. If someone "after you" is totally appropriate in the environment, and gives no "tells" before contacting you.....USSOCOM/CIA is out to remove you.

VIP Member
    I like sunglasses and their ability to hide my eyes while I can observe people without their knowledge. I've also noted that people who cannot see my eyes tend to not bother me or look at me as I walk by. Eyes project a wide range of emotions, and when covered, people have a harder time figuring out if you're friendly, food, or a predator. Removing the shades to give someone the evil eye is a great way to say "bug off" if evasive maneuvers haven't worked.

When not wearing shades, I will give hard eye contact if I feel like I'm being sized up, and I will acknowledge a person who is looking at me with a good ol' Southern howdy-do ma'am, but seem to ignore everybody else. You can observe people without giving them eye contact.

I prefer to scan with my head forward and eyes moving with an occasional over-the-shoulder glance, but when there's lots of objects and people in my surroundings, then I have to move my head around like an owl. Now if I could rotate my head almost completely around like an owl, that would be cool... and freaky.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Miggy,
    I do the spoke approach, drives my GF nuts. Hey, if I save her baccon once she'll never say another word.

Regarding you missing something. I suspect you didn't. You just disregarded it as a thread, well except for Mr. Blackwell perhaps. You can't remember everything. You likely noticed the lady, sized her up and said, nothing that could be a threat, so move on.

The biggest question is do you pick up on percieved threats?
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule
    Always look at peoples eyes.
    If you make eye contact , most will quickly look away (sheep)
    Some will match your glance (sheepdogs)
    You will know when you see a Wolf.
    This is the approach I normally take. The eyes will tell you almost everything you'll ever need to know. Watch your surroundings, know where you are, and look everyone dead in the eyes.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

When I took my CHL course those many years ago one of the presentors was the local district attorney and he spoke of situational awareness. He said that every time you enter into a different situation (not just new) look at things and ask yourself a series of quiestions. Is what's supposed to be here really here? Is there anyting here that is not supposed to be here? What does your gut tell you? And, finally, do it all the time. As you enter a restaurant; a church; a bank; a department store; and so on. To this day I still do this, even when I go into our local coffee shop, the bank, see someone along side the road who maybe looks strange. It is a mental exercise but it will give you an excellent sense of your surroundings and the rest is up to you.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    I like sunglasses and their ability to hide my eyes while I can observe people without their knowledge. I've also noted that people who cannot see my eyes tend to not bother me or look at me as I walk by. Eyes project a wide range of emotions, and when covered, people have a harder time figuring out if you're friendly, food, or a predator. Removing the shades to give someone the evil eye is a great way to say "bug off" if evasive maneuvers haven't worked.

When not wearing shades, I will give hard eye contact if I feel like I'm being sized up, and I will acknowledge a person who is looking at me with a good ol' Southern howdy-do ma'am, but seem to ignore everybody else. You can observe people without giving them eye contact.

I prefer to scan with my head forward and eyes moving with an occasional over-the-shoulder glance, but when there's lots of objects and people in my surroundings, then I have to move my head around like an owl. Now if I could rotate my head almost completely around like an owl, that would be cool... and freaky.
    Betty,
    I suspect that women have a harder time separating casual male interest in a gal from the potential threat. Also, women have the greater risk of predators who may look for opportunistic rape victims. I don't envy you the task of keeping safe. Glad you stay armed and alert.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dpesec
    The biggest question is do you pick up on percieved threats?
    Yes, and in a couple of occasions they were real threats. One I already posted in another thread and most I just changed directions, attitude or returned to point of origin till the percieved threat had passed. That they were real threats? I don't know, but I don't dismiss my gut.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

VIP Member
    Betty,
    I suspect that women have a harder time separating casual male interest in a gal from the potential threat. Also, women have the greater risk of predators who may look for opportunistic rape victims. I don't envy you the task of keeping safe. Glad you stay armed and alert.
    You're right. A lot of times I deliberately ignore men if I think they're not just giving me a polite "howdy, ma'am." That might be mean to a truly nice guy who wants to find out if I'm single, but it can be hard to separate nice guys, even those who just want to make general conversation, from the creeps out there. Most of the time when I'm out in public, I tend to want to be left alone anyway, and I'm well spoken for. So I just make myself unapproachable from the start and choose the environment when I want to meet new friends (male or female) so I have better control over the situation.

One flaky guy kept "running across me" in the grocery store, saying "hi," looking me up and down, and kept trying to greet me. I observed him but deliberately ignored him past my first and only "acknowledge nod" to him, and knew if I spoke to him, he probably would've stuck around and orbited me the entire time. It was no surprise the man happened to leave the store the same time I did, and he passed my truck as I was moving my groceries. He finally got mad at me ignoring him and sneered under his breath loud enough for me to hear him, "You just think you're too good for me." I would've liked to give him a head of lettuce upside his head, but he walked back to his construction site down the street. He'll never know why my right side (and hand) was not in view.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Spidey Sense

Spidy Sense:

Would this be survival/hunting instinct?

Depending on the environments one has experienced in life, I believe this is where this "sense" is developed. The attitude most CCWers have that folks call paranoia is just the outward signs of survival/hunting instinct, IMHO. All methods discussed so far has made me take a more serious look at how I've done things in the past and incorporate a few of the suggestions in this thread. Two or more heads are much better than one...this forum proves it to me.

Regards,

Fred
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    "You just think you're too good for me."
    There is perception. And truth. Truth hurts, bud.

Way to go, Betty!

Situational awareness

Always watch the hands

Include push-off drills in your training in case you get lazy or miss something
    "May God be with you and may the devil be crushed underfoot as you march for peace on the skulls of our enemies, for goodwill, security and a quality of life that comes only with democracy, " - Ted Nugent

Exclamation Survival Instinct

Quote Originally Posted by Kompact9
    Spidy Sense:

Would this be survival/hunting instinct?

Depending on the environments one has experienced in life, I believe this is where this "sense" is developed. The attitude most CCWers have that folks call paranoia is just the outward signs of survival/hunting instinct, IMHO. All methods discussed so far has made me take a more serious look at how I've done things in the past and incorporate a few of the suggestions in this thread. Two or more heads are much better than one...this forum proves it to me.
    I would agree with this observation almost 100%. I think that everybody (even the sheeple) have this "spidey sense" but what makes them sheep is that they either deliberately ignore it in a sense of denial...and they happen to have things work out most of the time OR they were raised by sheep parents and never developed the ability to use it as it is meant to be used. These are the folks who usually will go see a psychologist for anxiety issues.

In other folks, the survival instinct is present and recognized as one layer of information processing by which we conduct our daily lives.

Wolves have a highly developed sense of survival. They lead dangerous lives. They're not too smart, which is why they keep getting apprehended by the cops, but they are more concerned about each other in terms of actual survival. They are also becoming more aware of the existence of sheepdogs amongst the "prey" and of course this is very worrisome. Of course it's a regional issue. Areas with lots of gun control are criminal paradise. Areas with less and particularly having a CCW permit makes for crime hell.

I think sheepdogs come by their attitudes based on one of two routes (usually) either they're raised that way...and enhance the sense as a result of life situations (mine was particulary sharpened in the military and as a parole officer). The other way folks become sheepdogs is thru trauma and it's a natural backlash, IMHO, for people who aren't deep in their DNA (lol) sheep. When real sheep are traumatized..they usually call for more gun control and grow even more sheepish. At least that's my take.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

EX...I agree.
    We're really talking about CQB here...civilian style. The first part of which is SA (actually training and preparation would be...but anyway). Reading this thread you can't help but think about reacting to the 'wolf'. Which brings to mind a subject for the creation of another thread...and dovetails with an article that I read this morning. I'll sidestep a highjack and start a new thread. After lunch of course...
    "May God be with you and may the devil be crushed underfoot as you march for peace on the skulls of our enemies, for goodwill, security and a quality of life that comes only with democracy, " - Ted Nugent

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links