How do you scan?

This is a discussion on How do you scan? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok there is a difference between wide focus and narrow focus. This is taught buy some martial artists in defense courses. Wide focus is not ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do you scan?

Ok there is a difference between wide focus and narrow focus. This is taught buy some martial artists in defense courses. Wide focus is not really scanning, its like speed reading where you look at the page and let you brain absorb the information all at the same time. Narrow focus is like tunnel vision looking at each word in the sentence. I was told (this works for me) that to practice wide focus you need to just relax not looking at anything in particular kind of like staring off into space but your not. You then asses things by zooming in on what your brain picks up as out of place. This might not work for everyone and you might ask some self defence experts for more info.
    -Diplomacy: The art of saying nice dogie until you can find a rock.
    -The truth is a three edged sword.
    -Your brain is your primary weapon everything else is just a tool.
    -When the only tool you have is a hammer then everything starts to look like a nail.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Bryan - I do think that is the method par excellence.

Tunnel vision is not good IMO as a prime approach - too limited. The broad scan - a ''wide angle'' snap shot does allow for quicker appraisal and then as you say - a zoning down/homing in - on anything odd. Peripheral vision is part of this - exploiting it to the full.

I would also say that our hearing can be used similarly - an attempt to take on board the whole panoply of sounds but filtering quickly to ID anything out of place.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Talking Ghost Busters: "LISTEN! Do you smell that?"

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    I would also say that our hearing can be used similarly - an attempt to take on board the whole panoply of sounds but filtering quickly to ID anything out of place.
    When I teach the CCW classes I frequently use the example of a vehicle passing you as you walk along the sidewalk next to a major street. Without even turning your head, you can tell by both tire noise and engine noise if that vehicle is speeding up or slowing down. You can feel in the passing wind pressure against your skin about how close it has come to you....I try and instill in my students the need to establish a 30-40 foot moving perimeter. Within that area they should be aware of every living thing as it passes through. That's where I start to instill the threat levels and how they should be reacting....THEN we do some dry runs in various danger areas.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Rgr5280
    EX...I agree. I'll sidestep a highjack and start a new thread. After lunch of course...
    Okay....where is it? It sounds really good.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links