How do you scan?

How do you scan?

This is a discussion on How do you scan? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here is why I am asking. About 3 weeks ago I am coming out of Wally World with the wife heading back to the truck. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you scan?

VIP Member

Question How do you scan?

Here is why I am asking. About 3 weeks ago I am coming out of Wally World with the wife heading back to the truck. As usual I am doing my side-to-side head movement looking for things out of the ordinary when my wife makes a comment about some female’s wardrobe that was so loud it made Liberace look like a Mennonite. I went “where? where?” and she pointed at the woman. I couldn’t care less about the woman but what shocked me is that I did not register her at all even though I had scanned the area where she was!
    The following days were ones of readjusting and trying to absorb everything I watched but all of the sudden I was confronted with way too much information and my scans were not as effective because I tended to focus too much which it is not bad if you are stationary, but it is hell on the move.
    I went on to dissect what I was doing originally: Head moving side-to-side, looking for potential hiding places for BG’s, giving people a brief examination for attitude, pose, hands and eyes. Do they belong in the area? Yes? No? I guess I do a sort of mental quick checklist and discard the person if I feel he/she is not a threat. And all in an almost subconscious state of mind (P95’s spidey sense I guess) which is easier to do than the full “what-is-she-wearing” observation and I reverted to this type of scanning.

Now, I have no idea if I am doing it right or wrong or I am missing something and I want to know what you guys do and think while scanning.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Always scan for pretty wemen first, BG's second. J/K
    I usualy scan around and make sure nothing out of the ordinary is happening, then head tward my vehicle continusly scanning my surroundings. I make a point of keeping my 6 scaned as I would rather be attacked from the front or side rather than the back.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Be aware of any threat in your surroundings , you cannot have perfect recall of everything " i saw today " for a school report . you seem to be doing a fair job on identifying threats and regulating all else to background noise , as you spend more time armed and scanning it will be easyer to remember / notice the non involved all i have to say is i feel your fairly new to ccw and its all good , dont get your knickers in a knot lol you cannot get decades of experiance with it in weeks or months , but look at hands , look at " body posture " if someone is tense on either front there is a reason , it may not be a threat to me and mine but i will watch closer , if some gal is beat down and " huddled up " at wallmart i will be aware before i see the boyfriend who did it

Assistant Administrator
    To be honest - I am not sure that even with assiduous scanning, we can ''catch'' everything all the time.

The environment you mention is sometimes so loaded with input data there is a limit to how much we can take on board. I doubt you failed yourself at all really.

Within your scan (making of course too - good use of peripheral vision to catch movements) - the best we can achieve probably is a recognition of what seems odd or makes us uncomfortable - it may be movement in a particular zone, the nature of that movement or - simply , yep - ''spidey sense''

I try and practice rapid data input and analysis - to include if possible even asking myself what garments I see (and sounds I hear) - just as practice, but frankly, repeating myself - there is simply a limit - data saturation if you will.

I guess in the end - we can only attempt to ever hone our skills - but seriously doubt even the best and most alert can take in the whole enchelda every time!

I would say - sorry, still rambling - I would make sure to prioritize scans in terms of distance. Sounds obvious and probably we mostly do it - but everything within let's say 10 yards is top priority - and as things become further away then they receive a lesser importance. We have to do something like this - simply to handle all the input (IMO).
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    oo( i would be all over p95 and his dammed " spydy sense or how eaver da hell he says it ) if not for the fact that he trys to lable a hard to quantify quality , its situational awareness and tho i rebel at the lable applyed here all he says in support of it is valid its that " something is wrong " that you know and have to think about to come up with *** is it that i belive he is talking aobut , we all have felt it , some of us have been able to identify it , the rest of us just " redeployed or relocated " till it went away , guys this " gut intuition is real , pay attention to it , but damm me i cant lable it to spydy sense LOL

Lead Moderator
    I try to notice

1 out of place, dress folks.(this includes demenor and attitude)
    2 possible vehicles ,areas of opportunity for an ambush
    3 possible pretty women who might be single.

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    I try to notice
    3 possible pretty women who might be single.
    But by the time you can clearly see their fingers they are already in the "kill" zone, (10 yrd zone)

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy
    As usual I am doing my side-to-side head movement looking for things out of the ordinary when my wife makes a comment about some female’s wardrobe that was so loud it made Liberace look like a Mennonite. I went “where? where?” and she pointed at the woman...what shocked me is that I did not register her at all even though I had scanned the area where she was!
    Since you are male, you are psychologically programmed to involuntarily evaluate every human female as a possible mate. Therefore, there are two possible reasons that you did not "register" the woman you referred to:

A. She did not meet your appearance standards, and was therefore unfit to bear your children. This reaction is necessary for continued evolution of the species.

B. She was more than acceptable, but your "married self" overruled your "animal self," eliminating her from consideration. This takes places subconsciously thousands of times per day. It prevents staring at attractive women, and is required for survival of the individual (especially in the presence of your betrothed).

Okay. Sorry. Lame attempt at humor. Shame on me.

On a serious note, I read that when "scanning," you should scan in "spokes" rather than in "arcs." IOW, rather than sweeping your eyes from side to side like a radar, pick a direction (say, 12 o'clock) and scan along that line from close in to farther away, then repeat for 10 o'clock, 2 o'clock, etc. This is supposed to keep your eyes from fixating at a certain range, which may cause you to overlook or "underlook" (if there's any such word) an item of interest. I have been working on it for quite a while, and I think it helps.

SSKC

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SSKC

A. She did not meet your appearance standards, and was therefore unfit to bear your children. This reaction is necessary for continued evolution of the species.

B. She was more than acceptable, but your "married self" overruled your "animal self," eliminating her from consideration. This takes places subconsciously thousands of times per day. It prevents staring at attractive women, and is required for survival of the individual (especially in the presence of your betrothed).

SSKC
    At least ya didn't say Miggy was ''the other way''!.
    Last edited by P95Carry; January 10th, 2006 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Small typo correction

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    At least ya didn't say Miggy was ''the other way''!.
    Thank God for small favors.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Always look at peoples eyes.
    If you make eye contact , most will quickly look away (sheep)
    Some will match your glance (sheepdogs)
    You will know when you see a Wolf.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Miggy,

I don't think you are doing anything wrong, at all. It may be that you are still in a learning phase.

After a while, what you are doing should begin happening in an automatic or subconcious mode. You'll do this without making a concious effort, but you will do it. It becomes part of your nature.

When that happens, you will probably be more aware of those things that are not a threat, such as pretty women!

Hopefully, you'll get good enough that you'll pick up on anything that isn't right, while taking note of the babes, and your wife won't notice either.

Or, just stay right where you are, at least the only threat you might not see coming will be the one from her.

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

VIP Member
    mike, I do it (I think) like you said, but my wife managed to make me doubt related to what I was NOT seeing. I don't know if I am making any sense. It was like "How the hell did I miss that?!" I got worried I was missing important signs.
    Then, when I tried to absorb more info, I found myself overloaded and unable to keep up with what was going on because I was paying too much attention to one individual... sort of missing the forest because of one tree thing.

but your "married self" overruled your "animal self," eliminating her from consideration.
    True..very true, if I don't eliminate her from consideration, Mrs Miggy will eliminate me from hers in a very slow and painful manner
    Randy Cain.

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    Miggy, A very interesting thread. I haven't been jumped or mugged, so I'm not sure if what I do is correct or adequate. However, here goes.
    Try not to overload the senses. A full 360 scan of the area when starting and then rely on perpheral vision and keeping track of what's behind you. Let your subconscious warn you of anything out of place, i.e. a rapid movement towards you, or a change in direction, or an out of place type (like a cover garment maybe over a weapon when everyone else has T shirts and shorts). I also look carefully at vehicles I pass or that are next to me when I get to my vehicle. Last week I was parked next to a large van with a side door next to my car and the van had very dark windows. You can bet I looked that one over carefully and had myself primed to act if that door even cracked. As long as you are keeping alert, I think you will see or sense a threat. Hope this works and helps both of us.

Lead Moderator
    you shouldn't need to see every detail. Just watch for the signs everyone has pointed out and be ready to react. It's like asking "Am I paranoid? Or not paranoid enough?"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links