Todays CWP class..

This is a discussion on Todays CWP class.. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It was really good. Taught by the local police Sargeant. 18 people in the class, about 6 of them from the same church. The pastor ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Todays CWP class..

Todays CWP class..

It was really good. Taught by the local police Sargeant. 18 people in the class, about 6 of them from the same church. The pastor and his wife were there as well as a few from their church.

Most of what we went over I had already learned from reading the statutes and such. I did ask the question Mikey bought up about the gun maybe printing or showing a bit and was told by the instructor that if he gets the "there is a man with a gun" call he is first going to ask you to show your CWP and explain to him exactly what you're doing step by step while you take your ID and CWP out. Then he is probably going to tell you that its supposed to be concealed and for you to make sure it is.

He said other cops locally wont be so nice but some will.

We went to the range and shot 50 rounds each. My wife outscored me. She shot a 247 and I shot a 242. We both had 50 hits. She shot my Keltec and I shot a Hi Point C9. She scored 100 on the test and I scored a 98 (I went a bit fast and didnt read the question right)

It was nice to meet other likeminded folks and anyone who wasnt aware of Grassroots Guns in South Carolina is now.

I have everything ready to send off Monday to SLED. Im also sending both Keltecs back to the factory for a fluff n buff.

My Keltec had narry a hiccup. The Hi Point had one FTE.

Its was alot of fun.

2. Remove Ads

Congrats on what sounded like a great class. You'll be safe as a couple, and certainly safe in church.

Was everyone required to shoot 50 rounds?

Don't worry about the wife out shooting you, I'm sure if you're kind to her, she'll give you a few pointers.

Stay armed...two armed in the car is better than one...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Sounds like you both had a good time. I like to warn guys about teaching their wives to shoot... you'll always be playing catch up!

Congratulations to the both of you.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    yes everyone has to shoot 50 rounds and congrats on the class. Your wait should be around or close to 90 days for the permit
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Congrats; I know y'all can't wait to get that envelope from SLED! Welcome to the board as well.

Sounds like an awesome time was had by all. Glad your Pastor was there too, a shepherd in more ways than one!
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

VIP Member
    I hope you know they send out the permits by test/shooting scores, so your wife will get hers first! j/k

Congrats on the class.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Congrats! It nice to see it when couples take the class together. The family who shoots together, stays together!
    Randy
    "The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down". -unknown

Quote Originally Posted by mp45fan View Post
    The family who shoots together, stays together!
    In more ways than one!
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    Sounds like an awesome time was had by all. Glad your Pastor was there too, a shepherd in more ways than one!
    Not my Pastor but a great guy just the same. He says he carrys while at the pulpit.

Quote Originally Posted by XD 45 View Post
    yes everyone has to shoot 50 rounds and congrats on the class. Your wait should be around or close to 90 days for the permit
    Yeah the pastor said he knew folks that got it back in 2 weeks but the instructor said it ALWAYS takes 90 days.

Everyone I talked to said 90 as well. Now I need to find a nice holster for the Kel Tec in the $35-$50 range. Ive decided to not go with the IWB but rather OWB.

My wife borrowed a nice nylon one today which was like a pancake. Had 2 loops for the belt. Not sure but maybe an Uncle Mikes?

She really liked the holster and it concealed well with just a t shirt over it. Id rather have leather but...Hmmm high noon bare skin.

Quote Originally Posted by AllAmerican View Post
    Yeah the pastor said he knew folks that got it back in 2 weeks but the instructor said it ALWAYS takes 90 days.

Everyone I talked to said 90 as well. Now I need to find a nice holster for the Kel Tec in the $35-$50 range. Ive decided to not go with the IWB but rather OWB.

My wife borrowed a nice nylon one today which was like a pancake. Had 2 loops for the belt. Not sure but maybe an Uncle Mikes?

She really liked the holster and it concealed well with just a t shirt over it. Id rather have leather but...Hmmm high noon bare skin.

No one says you have to have just one hoslter!
    Randy
    "The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down". -unknown

Quote Originally Posted by mp45fan View Post
    No one says you have to have just one hoslter!

He is just starting this illness...

He'll soon learn.

Congrats on the class, and welcome to the CWP fold
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Mine took 86 days and the wife got hers in 84. SLED takes all the time allowed by the statutes

Quote Originally Posted by XD in SC View Post
    He is just starting this illness...

He'll soon learn.

Congrats on the class, and welcome to the CWP fold
    Thanks and thanks to all. No Ive already learned. Ive got a few holsters here already and dont like em much. Tried to do the IWB but then Id have to buy new jeans to fit it in there. Got an OWB that I hate. Got a paddle which is for the Hi Point but I aint carrying that thing unless I want to beat the BG with it. Like the gun good enough though as its pretty fun to shoot. Its just not a carry piece IMO.

Now I want to make one wise purchase that works which is why High Noon is on the list with their satisfaction policy.

Side Guard Holsters are in the running too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links