Crimson Trace for my G23 got here!

This is a discussion on Crimson Trace for my G23 got here! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I ordered my Crimson Trace Laser Grip, LG-19, for my Glock 23, from Nightvisionsales.com, on-line. That was Wednesday, 04Jan06. The box showed up today, Tuesday, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crimson Trace for my G23 got here!

Crimson Trace for my G23 got here!

I ordered my Crimson Trace Laser Grip, LG-19, for my Glock 23, from Nightvisionsales.com, on-line. That was Wednesday, 04Jan06. The box showed up today, Tuesday, 10Jan06. I donít think thatís too bad, considering I didnít opt for a faster shipping method, and stuck with their free shipping, which turned out to be USPS Priority Mail. ($259, free shipping.)

In fact, I thought that was pretty darned good! Until I placed that order, most all the post on several different web forums had people talking about how they would order on, if it were only available. Nightvisionsales.com showed the LG-19 as being ďin-stock,Ē and a phone call to them confirmed it.

I did buy the laser with concealed carry in mind, primarily for a vision problem, described below. I had two worries about the CT, one was how would it change the feel of the grip and the other, would it interfere with my holster. (Blackhawk carbon fiber, with the SERPA retention system.)

Itís just like the folks at Blackhawk.com told me, no problem with the CT, at all. And although the CT does make a difference in the feel of the grips, it wasnít nearly as much as Iíd thought, and will present no problems for me. Some may object to the ďnew feelĒ to their Glock, but I suspect that if they gave it just a little time, it would feel ďnormalĒ to them.

The box it came in felt so light, it could have been empty! In side, the CT grips were wrapped in a neat little black piece of felt bearing the company logo. There was an instruction booklet, and a zip lock bag that contained the install tool, the replacement pin, a pair of batteries, two warning stickers, and a pair of leaning tools for the laser.

Putting the CT grips on my G23 was as easy as they say it should be. I like the fact that the instructions tell you to clear the weapon, and then, clear it again. All you really have to do after that, is to put the batteries in place, use the tool to remove the existing grips pin, slide the laser grips in place, and push the new grips pin in.

Thatís really it, nothing more to it!

I saw that when I used the iron sights to line up on something in very close, the laser dot was off a little down and to the right. At a much greater distance, it was off just a bit up and to the right. In either cast, the point of my sightís aim was close enough to the dot that Iíve no doubt that shooting Center of Mass at any practical distance would yield the same results, using either the iron sights or the laser sight.

Iíll know more when I can get to the range in a couple of days.

Right now, this is looking very good, for me. As Iíve said elsewhere, I shoot quite well at the seven yard target. Beyond that, Iím having problems getting a good sight picture with my glasses (Transition lenses.) Sometimes, even with one eye closed, I see two front sights. Thatís a little hard to work with. This is where Iím hoping the laser will help me out.

I did take the G23 outside at home and ďplayĒ with it. (This, after making certain I was not being observed.) It was late afternoon, overcast, so it wasnít in what Iíd call ďtypical Florida daylight.Ē I have to say I was surprised at how visible the dot was when I aimed at a tree, about 50 feet away. At longer ranges, the laser dot can be hard to pick up, greatly slowing down target acquisition. Using the iron sights to get the muzzle close to on-target, however, made picking up that little red dot very easy. Even with my vision deficit.

Iíll be trying that again, on a nice, bright day, when I can.

One thing Iíve already learned is that it is very easy to make a ďstealth draw,Ē if the occasion requires it. By that, I mean I can draw the G23 and have it out of the holster ready to go, without activating the laser. It takes just a little practice, but most certainly is doable. As for actually firing the weapon without triggering the laser, I donít know for sure, but I rather doubt it. But I used to tell my Infantry fire team that ďNoise and light discipline pretty much goes out the window after the first shot is fired.Ē So for me, firing with out the laser being triggered is a non-starter.

I think I made a good move in buying the Crimson Trace laser for my G23. I think it will serve my purpose well. I do not feel that it is going to be incompatible with concealed carry, at all.

Besides, it really does drive the cats ďnucken futz!Ē

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Haha - the cats - tell me about it

Glad they came thru Mike - and indeed I think you will find them everything you hoped, and then some.

You can Mike set up the sighting almost 100% before you even get to the range. Using those wee lil' 0.028 Allen wrenches - put one in each adjustment set screw - and then set up a target point approx 20-25 feet distance. Doing best you can with the old eyes and gun rested - get the best sight pic you can using irons.

Then notice where the spot is. I have found that if you then adjust (clockwise on each Allen wrench will take you right or up) - such that spot is just visible in bullseye, meaning it will be the smallest smidgeon higher than foresight - when you do get to range and shoot, you should find it is almost spot on.

Mind hold setting 100% and as you will have already noticed they sure as heck show tremor!! If dry firing too - they will easily help indicate any bad trigger habits.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Madmike can i get ya to measure the width without the CT's then with them attached..

I wanna know how much it fattens it up just wondering if i want a set or not maybe for the G20

Administrator

Thumbs up madmike

I'm happy that you bought one.
    Congratulations.
    I used to be a true fence sitter concerning the use laser equipped firearms. I could (pretty much) take them or leave them especially when they were only available as "bolt on" exterior attachments.

Folks with some vision problems can (for sure) derive some real, true, benefit by using a firearm that is equipped with one.
    The laser units are extremely reliable these days. The manufacturer guarantees are A~1 & they stand behind their product.

Any reliable device that helps any shooter HIT BETTER who otherwise would not be able to so...has found a very valuable tool.

I know that Laser Max tests every single laser unit with 100 hours of ON time & they will go 1,000 or more hours.

I'm sure Crimson Trace has a similar form of quality control.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Welcome to the CT club! I’ve had them on my 3 revs for some time now and wouldn’t be without them.
    livin in the woods...feelin mighty good

Lead Moderator
    Nice. From the pict. the Serpa holster looks like it was formed with CT fit in mind. In fact ordered 1 for myself(Serpa that is). Glad you like those CT grips. I know a laser helps my 70% blind friend shoot much better.

Bud,

The one picture I've seen posted somewhere on this Forum did look like the CT grips made the grip wide as a barn. But what you see in that pic is not what you actually feel.

The only place your hand feels the grip on both sides of the grip at the same time is along the thumb and the "web" between the thumb and first finger. At that point, the grips are at their thinnest, maybe 1/16 of an inch. (No micrometer, here.) You only feel it on both sides at the same time when you have your trigger finger extended along side the guard. You may have to lower a bit, if it normally touches the slide, as it would block the laser beam. For me, not a problem.

The thickest part of the new grips is where the batteries are installed, one on each side. Now that part may be 3/16 in. thick. But one of those points falls just about in the center of my palm, where it has the least impact on my grip.

That same point on the other side of my grip happens to fall right at the tip of my 4th finger, so it doesn't add to and felt thickness.

FYI, in the hospital setting, we count "digits," not fingers, and the good old thumb is the first digit, so the "pinky" is the 5th digit.

I'd say the biggest impact on the feel of the grips is the broad lip at the top, rear. It does remind me of what a 1911 feels like, in the hand. This top rear area just kind of settles on the hand, quite naturally, in my opinion.

Mike

Good to hear positive news about CT grips ! Thanks for the post. While I have internal lasermax systems in my Glock models 23 and 30, I ordered CT grips for my revolvers recently.

They both arrived today and I wasted no time getting them on both my S&W Model 637 38 cal. 2 inch stainless, and on my S&W model 686+ 7 shot 357 cal. 2.5 inch stainless.

Have yet to go to the range with the CT grips, but all indications are that I will REALLY like them !

I also think I like the steady laser dot rather than the pulsating dot like the Lasermax units have.

Thanks for the tuning tips on getting them sighted in, y'all make it much easier to understand than those written instructions, LOL !

Thanks for the info i know local range has a set for the G-17 on one at the range so ill get down there and try to get the feel of them .

I also appreciate the "tuning tips!"

Mine seems to be factory sighted in at 50 ft, per the manual, as far as I can tell without having taken it to the range, yet. That may work out, just fine.

One thing I'm going to think about is another theory on how to use them, that is to set them up without the parallax offset.

By that, I mean the beam is a know distance from the center of the bore. By adusting the beam so it points parallel to the bore, the dot should appear that same distance from the point of impact, at all ranges.

The laser would give a POA that would be off just by the distance of the distance between the emitter and the center of the bore, regardless of range. And that distance is certainly close enough for self-defense purposes.

Being a know and fixed difference, should you have to make a very precise shot, it would be far easier to accomplish than if you had to figure out if at your shooting distance, would it be low and to the left, or high and to the right.

Of course for that, you'd need to clamp the gun to a bench and have some time available. I wonder if some sort of bore sighting tool would help?

Mike

Assistant Administrator
    Bore sighting never IMO all that accurate with short barrel guns but it could help. In theory if beam totally parallel then offset would be all consistent at all ranges - and instance my SIG, approx 3/4" to right and down.

That would mean a good iron's aim into center black would equate to a spot still in the black but at say, 4.30 o'clock - set that center and shot will go a bit high left.

For all practical purposes I don't think the parallax problem will really feature too much at combat ranges and if a long range shot were needed then at the 50 yard mark, the ''cross-over'' effect would still probably only represent a small error margin - bit high and left, making for a POI slightly low right.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I just checked that item out....... Looking at it, does it fit well? and does it bother your palm you when you shoot?
    http://www.crimsontrace.com/default.asp?id=513
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Thanks for the info. I have had 5 CT's & a G-26 with LaserMax. I'm seriously thinking of another Glock now that CT has these new ones out.

For SD, I've adjusted my spot to be at center of an actual grouping, shooting several groupings to be sure. I feel this makes allowance for individual variances in gripping, trigger-pull, and sighting at the spot - and it's a realistic SD simulation. I like the feeling that the bullet will hit where my spot is. If my bullets are hitting on-spot, I don't care where my iron sights are (but I do keep practicing with iron). I also have old eyes, & lasers have brought me back to the range and to CCW without "point" shooting.

CLASS3NH,

The new grips fit the G23 like a glove. No wiggle, no slide. And it does feel good in the hands.

As for how it feels when shooting, I may be able to tell you tomorrow. I'm off Thursday, but back to work Sat. & Sun. Then a few more days off.

I'd have found out today, but I had to go help my father test-sail a Westerly Centaur he wants to buy. (It's a "go." )

Kind of like with a swimming pool, better than owning one is having a friendly neighbor with one.

P95,

Since the book says they are "factory aimed" at 50 feet, I'll try them out, as is. If the POA/POI are closed enough for "gummit work," I'll most likely leave them alone.

Thanks, all!

mm
    Last edited by madmike; January 11th, 2006 at 10:40 PM.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Congrats! I have CT on two of mine - wish they made them for my S&W CS45 - maybe one day...
    For God, Family and Country!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links