Defensive Carry banner

Thieves loot valuables (guns) from parked cars. Memphis TN

2K views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  Agave 
#1 ·
Thieves loot valuables from parked cars : Local News : Memphis Commercial Appeal

Just a quote from the article:

"Nobody should leave a gun in their car," said Scott. "That's stupid. If you're not going to have your gun with you, it's not doing you any good in the car."-MPD Maj. Joe Scott
May I point out to the good Major, and I will in an email, that his boss, the Mayor of that dreadful city he works in, the Mayor of the County the city is in and other politicians here have fought to keep our stupid "No guns in Restaurants" law in effect. We can't carry into a restaurant that serves alcohol, so we HAVE to leave them in our cars.

But now that the Republicans control the House and Senate in Tennessee we may be able to change that thank God.

#2 ·
Send him a letter with that comment. You're absolutely right, it's a stupid law. Virginia has an even more asinine law- Concealed carry is prohibited in restaurants, but open carry isn't. So, when I go into a restaurant in Virginia, I tuck in my shirt so that my XD45 in my IWB holster is visible. Makes SO much sense.

#4 ·
Jimmy Naifeh may be on his way out. His party no longer runs the house so we may just get rid of him and the stupid restaurant law in one fell swoop.

Keep your fingers crossed!

#5 ·
TX has the correct answer to problems like this...someone breaking into your car at home is fair game...the way it should be.:yup:

"This crime is affecting everybody," said Maj. Howell Starnes, assistant commander of the MPD's organized crime unit.

Police are simply overwhelmed by the volume of break-ins and they're frustrated by the revolving door at 201 Poplar for the people they do manage to catch.

A Memphis police campaign urges citizens to "Stow It, Don't Show It," and the Shelby County Sheriff's Office urges people to "Park Smart," but clearly many people aren't listening.

"The citizens can stop this crime today," said MPD Maj. Joe Scott. "If you don't leave anything in your car, nothing's going to be taken."

This raises the cost of living expenses for everyone, these BG dirtbags value nothing...they deserve TX justice.:congrats:

The police answer to this is stop the crime by not leaving valuables in your car? What's next, don't leave valuables in your house either?:hand1:

Stay armed...this crime will get worse...stay safe!

#6 ·
I am glad you're sending him a letter. As a soon to be carrier in NC, with many similar stupid laws, I can see having to leave my gun in the car on many and varied occasions due to these type of restrictions. The only alternative would be to leave it at home, therein leaving myself unarmed for the whole druation of my outing vs just the time I am in a restaurant or whatever. I do not see that as an acceptable alternative, so I know I will have to leave it in my car from time to time.

#7 ·
I agree with you TN Mike. He as well as the mayor's need a letter addressing the comment.
Pointing out the fact that current laws prohibit carry in certain places, forcing citizens to leave their firearms in their car.
Of course them being politicians and not "real people", they will probably say leave your gun at home.

#8 ·
It is not quite so cut and dried in Texas. At night, yes, burglary on your property is a leathal force event. During the day it is not, unless of course, you are in the car at the time. Here in Fort Worth it is as they describe in the article, the police are powerless. They even down-graded the crime of auto burglary so the courts wouldn't have to deal with it at such a high level.

In the article they pose the question, I paraphrase; do you want us to let murderers and robbers out of jail or car burglars? My answer, I want you to keep the robbers and car burglars in jail and I want you to give the murderers a dirt nap to free up bed space.

Without effective punishment and effective retalliation from the citizens, which they make more difficult every day, the criminals will just continue to overwhelm the law enforcement and legal system. Look for more and more crimes to be given lower and lower classification of offense (felony goes to misdomeaner).

#9 ·
I love the line:

"If you don't leave anything in your car, nothing's going to be taken."

....are they serious?!

So instead of dealing with the criminals, they're just dealing with the citizens.

I guess we should stop carrying wallets and jewelery in the event that we get mugged.

OH and don't go down alleys. Actually just don't go downtown. In fact just stay home. No wait... that's dangerous, too.

OK just kill yourself? If you aren't alive, you can't be a victim of a crime!

oh yea grave robbers... surely they'll come up with a solution to that soon, I hope!!

#12 ·
I was on vacation in Nashville about a month ago and I must say that no carry in a place that serves alcohol is stupid. I went to the Loveless cafe for Breakfast and I'll be damned if I didn't see a sign prohibiting carrying because of alcohol!:rant:

Also I'm just a country boy so walking the streets of downtown Nashville unarmed felt like the dumbest decision I have ever made. I felt like I needed to carry the most there than anywhere else I went during the whole trip. I'm not used to having panhandlers and druggies just shouting crap out at myself. I will go back to Nashville but your state needs to change some idiotic laws before I feel good about it. :comeandgetsome:

#13 ·
Mike,

I will be glad when they change the law as well. I never did understand it in the first place. Then maybe I won't be so hesitant to go visit up there and have to deal with the restaurant issue.

I guess when I visit that way I could go to church in TN and out to eat in MS. Funny how the little differences in the laws of each state come into play and how you must learn them all.

#16 ·
I know I have posted this before, but I can not stress how important it is to contact YOUR REP......

Now I have heard that Naifeh has brokered deals with some Repubs that will allow him to retain his Speaker position. Remember the Naifeh republicans?

We all better call our state rep and tell him Naifeh's time is up. I heard on the radio all the Republican reps pledged to vote for a Republican speaker if we won the majority. Time to hold them to it!

Here is a copy of my letter to Dolores Gresham and her reply.....

Not as strong as I would like.......

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for your good wishes! We will be working very hard to put together a governing team that everyone can be proud of!
Dolores

Sent: Thu 11/6/2008 12:22 PM
To: Dolores Gresham
Subject: Speaker of the House

Congratulations on your victory Tuesday. It was a bright spot on a otherwise dismal Wednesday to find out that Tennessee is leading the way AGAINST bigger government by electing a conservative Republican legislature. I was also pleased to hear Robin Smith comment that Republican members understood the necessity of unity when electing leadership. It is with this in mind I sincerely hope that Representative Naifeh has no chance at arm twisting his way into the Speaker's chair. Please do all you can to help in that effort.

Again congratulations and I look forward to supporting your efforts

#17 ·
Hey State, thanks for your stupid laws but...no thanks. I've followed enough laws my whole life. When rotten people go to jail, police start obeying the speed limits that are set for me only ( apparently), when politicians go to jail like I would have to, doing what they do..When someone takes the millions from corporate people, and stop them from walking away with millions of dollars, while my life plans have been ruined, when illegals are sent home and barred from coming back, when terrorists of all colors and stripes stop their bull---, perhaps I'll be more interested in a sign that says I can't 'carry'.

#19 ·
Don't just leave it up to one guy to do the emailing, these are issues that affect all of us and all of us should be voiceing our feelings to our state and federal Represenitives...

#21 ·
I found it unsettling as well.
My lady-friend, her kids, and myself went to Memphis a few months ago and she wanted TGI Friday's.
Dang, no carry!
We also went to your zoo.
Dang, no carry!

I couldn't see leaving it in the car, so I put the magazine in the trunk, the frame in the glove compartment, and carried the slide into those places that were off limits.
I don't know if it was the right answer to the problem, but I wasn't giving a crook a complete 1911 either.

Also, I think the zoo is a strange place to limit CC. After all, I don't have a lion tag on my hunting license and I don't even know how to field dress one.

Good luck with your officials.

#22 ·
Also, I think the zoo is a strange place to limit CC.
The zoo, in-and-of-itself, is not off limits. The fact that it sits in a park makes it off limits.

This past year, we had a nice bill to repeal the two incredibly stupid rules from our five rules. And due to Jimmy Naifeh's ability to kill it in committee, it got scraped. When the legislative branch changes hands, I'm going to start sending letters, making calls, and encouraging others to do the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.