Dnr officer

Dnr officer

This is a discussion on Dnr officer within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So in the state of MI, if you are stopped by a LEO you are required to inform them of you carrying. Now, does this ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dnr officer

Dnr officer

So in the state of MI, if you are stopped by a LEO you are required to inform them of you carrying. Now, does this apply to a DNR officer as well? I was checked while hunting this year and wondered if I was required to inform them. Since I had a rifle with me I didn't care my pistol, but I always carry my pistol bow hunting. Anybody know this one? When my dad takes his CPL course I am going to have him ask for sure, just wondered if anyone here knew.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

It is my understanding that the DNR guys that check licenses, etc are in fact law enforcement so it would be necessary to inform. Even if not sure or I'm wrong, I don't see the harm in informing. When in doubt, inform.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Administrator
    Yes, DNR are LEO's to be treated the same as any other LEO.
    "Just blame Sixto"

SIXTO is correct, DNR are certified LEO's and have full powers as such, infact they have state authority. DNR officers are usually "loaners" and like to work alone, they (sometimes) get upset with people real fast so treat them with full respect.
    Sgt.

Same as state cop

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    YES
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

yep,basiclly DNR are the state police of the woods and to be treated
    in the same fasion as any other leo,loacl,county, and state. if you like
    your equipment,sure they the same respect as you would any other leo.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

In michigan DNR has the same powers as the state cops as far as arsting power and can give out tickets for moveing violations and at times have backed up state and local last time was in 1967 riot in detroit

Colo does not require informing LEOs during a contact.

Our Division of Wildlife (DOW) officers don't even need a search warrant. They can search your vehicle, cabin, campsite etc. on just their own suspicion.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Our DNR here in SC are full blown LEO. Go to Academy, sworn in, have full arrest powers... so yea.. here it would be duty to inform if carrying.

Game wardens in every state are police officers like any other.

Just because they wear jumpsuits and drive around in pickup trucks patrolling areas that tend to not have paved roads does not make them any less of a POLICE than any other.
    BTW same applies to meter readers, parole officers, and truancy officers too. They all are POLICE aka law enforcement officers, just like the kind who hand out speeding tickets and investigate noise complaints.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Jackle1886 View Post
    So in the state of MI, if you are stopped by a LEO you are required to inform them of you carrying...
    As in stopped while driving (and you are the driver) I am pretty certain you do have inform.

Most have posted that DNR = LEO. I agree, however, just to clarify, just because you see or talk to a LEO does not mean you have to anounce you have a ccw and currently have a cc, right?

Quote Originally Posted by KenInColo View Post
    Colo does not require informing LEOs during a contact...
    Like Colo, I believe in MI, if you meet a DNR officer in the woods (regardless of season) you would not be required to state you have a CC (however I think in MI you are required to disclose if asked).

In MI, I think the only time you are required to disclose CC is during a traffic stop (and you are the driver) or if the LEO asks you if you have a firearm.

Am I wrong?
    Last edited by Thanis; December 1st, 2008 at 09:50 PM. Reason: spelling

Actually, the MI DNR officers have more authority over more things in more places...than any other LEO's.

And yes, you better inform...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackle1886 View Post
    So in the state of MI, if you are stopped by a LEO you are required to inform them of you carrying. Now, does this apply to a DNR officer as well? I was checked while hunting this year and wondered if I was required to inform them. Since I had a rifle with me I didn't care my pistol, but I always carry my pistol bow hunting. Anybody know this one? When my dad takes his CPL course I am going to have him ask for sure, just wondered if anyone here knew.
    Yes , a DNR Conservation Officer is the same as any other LEO in MI.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    As in stopped while driving (and you are the driver) I am pretty certain you do have inform.

Most have posted that DNR = LEO. I agree, however, just to clarify, just because you see or talk to a LEO does not mean you have to anounce you have a ccw and currently have a cc, right?

Like Colo, I believe in MI, if you meet a DNR officer in the woods (regardless of season) you would not be required to state you have a CC (however I think in MI you are required to disclose if asked).

In MI, I think the only time you are required to disclose CC is during a traffic stop (and you are the driver) or if the LEO asks you if you have a firearm.

Am I wrong?
    I believe you are wrong. The law states that if we are "stopped" by an LEO then we must disclose. The word "stop" was not defined, but it certainly was not specifically limited to "traffic stop."

It would seem that if you bump into an LEO at 7-11 and chat about the weather, that would not be a "stop." If you're out for a walk and an officer sees you littering and "stops" you, then that would most likely be considered a "stop" if it came to the court. Basically, any time an officer talks to you in an official capacity of his job, you'd probably need to disclose.

All of that said, I can't understand for the life of me why some folks try so hard to find the magic line where they don't have to disclose. What does it hurt to inform an LEO, required or not? Worried he's gonna break into your home and steal your guns if he knows? He'll find out when he runs your ID anyway. If you're trying to maintain some "tactical advantage" when a cop is talking to you, I don't want to be your friend anymore...
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links