What a joke!!! Jacksonville Florida Sheriffs Office

This is a discussion on What a joke!!! Jacksonville Florida Sheriffs Office within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; WOW!!! I called the JSO tonight because even after reading John Gut. book and all the statutes online I'm still confused about where I can ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What a joke!!! Jacksonville Florida Sheriffs Office

Thumbs down What a joke!!! Jacksonville Florida Sheriffs Office

WOW!!! I called the JSO tonight because even after reading John Gut. book and all the statutes online I'm still confused about where I can carry legally in the car (not on my person) The female officer said it has to be "2 moves from me" which I know isn't true. She also said I couldn't carry it on me even WITH a permit! Unbelievable. After I told her I didn't think that was true she said "if you knew why did you call the police". Makes me nervous as hell to drive around with my handgun now. Any advice, info?

2. Remove Ads

WOW..and FL is one of the best states to carry in...

OK she is TOTALLY wrong. First of all, you can find FL statutes at handgunlaw.us. If you are transporting your weapon WITHOUT a concealed pistol license, then according to FL law it must be in a lockable container, separated from the ammunition. If you DO have a concealed pistol license, you may carry on your person, in the glove box, in the console, wherever you want. Also, it may be loaded..I would suggest NOT carrying an unloaded weapon...

That woman was TOTALLY off base!!!!
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    There is a reason why some people are behind the counter and not on the street...think brain cells.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyglock View Post
    WOW..and FL is one of the best states to carry in...

OK she is TOTALLY wrong. First of all, you can find FL statutes at handgunlaw.us. If you are transporting your weapon WITHOUT a concealed pistol license, then according to FL law it must be in a lockable container, separated from the ammunition. If you DO have a concealed pistol license, you may carry on your person, in the glove box, in the console, wherever you want. Also, it may be loaded..I would suggest NOT carrying an unloaded weapon...

Don't know where you got that but that is not correct. No permit in the car you can have it loaded. It does need to be in a glove box,zippered case,etc. Yes the LEO was wrong. To the OP keep it concealed and don't worry. If you want carry Johns book with you just in case.
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    If you do not have a license you can carry it in your glovebox or center console, or pretty much anywhere else (except on you) as long as it is a holster with a retention strap. I wouldn't recommend leaving it out in the open though. It can be loaded or unloaded (and why would it be unloaded?).
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmyglock View Post

WRONG!!!!

Nowhere in the Florida statutes does it say you must seperate the ammunition from the weapon when carrying in a private conveyance (vehicle) without a concealed carry license.

(5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.--Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Ask 6 LEO's about CCW laws and you may get 6 different 'opinions'...
    My nephew is a young K-9 officer in Southern Florida...he's a tough guy...his dog is a killer (let's say he loves is not afraid to take a bite out of crime)...he know all about crime and the local dirtbags...he's an honest kid who tries to do the right thing, but he doesn't have accurate knowledge concerning FL CCW laws.

Stay armed...know your state laws regarding CCW...always be polite to LEO's with incorrect info...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Asking a LEO for an opinion on a law is like asking a lawyer to perform knee surgery.

If you want advice on a law, go to a lawyer.

Biker

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Asking a LEO for an opinion on a law is like asking a lawyer to perform knee surgery.

Biker
    +1!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

jfl

Biker
    +1 ... seems pretty obvious.
    Would you ask a lawyer how to clear a building a and "slicing the pie" ???
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

VIP Member
    What percentage of the local population legally carries a firearm versus what percentage drives?

So what parts of the law do you think the LEOs will be most familiar with? A few years back G&A did a survey of state LEOs in VA on open carry. Only about 20% knew it was legal and got the various scenarios presented in the survey correct. Lets face it, many LEOs will never encounter a CHP holder who is carrying. All will encounter the driving public and numerous BGs. We have a distinct advantage over the LEOs in that we get to focus on a very narrow part of the laws in our states, where the LEOs have to get some high level view of most of them.

Want an opinion on the law, contact the prosecutor's office. Then you will get a researched opinion and you will find out if you are charged what will happen.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar

Biker
    Good advice. However, "securely encased" appears to be the operative phrase. The statute addressing the issue is Florida Statute 790.25(5) and the 2008 verbiage reads as follows:

(5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.--Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.

A glaring exception to the foregoing would be the parking lot of a public school in this part of Florida. If you're caught with a firearm in your vehicle on school property it's a pretty safe bet you're making the trip.

POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.--Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. his sTubsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.

Administrator
    Umm yeah... the girl who answers the phones are just that, the girl who answers the phone.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Not a knock on LEO's at all here, I was a Reserve Sheriffs Deputy once upon a time....but, it has been my experience that if you ask 20 police officers about a specific traffic law, which is something they deal with all the time, you will get very consistent answers.

But, ask those same 20 officers a question about carry laws, and you will most likely get 20 wildly different answers. The simple fact is, they do not deal with law abiding citizens carrying, in an enforcement capacity anyway, on a daily basis and as a result they do not know the laws as well.

Police Officers do not go through a class every week to keep CCW laws fresh in their minds guys. Think about it, something you deal with every day may be like second nature to you but not to me. But, something that I do every day is very much second nature to me, but may not be familiar to you. Police deal with traffic laws, domestic violence, breaking and entering, armed robbery, traffic accidents, abused children, dog bites, fires, drunks, druggies, and any number of other things much more frequently than they do with armed citizens. We are after all, one of, if not THE single most law abiding group of citizens in the country.

The girl who answered the phone didn't know the carry law forward and back? What a surprise. She isn't even on Patrol! She probably doesn't know traffic laws too well either. But I bet she can type like crazy and she knows how to transfer a call like nobody's business.

Go to Handgunlaw.us and to your states government websites to find the actual law. Print it out and read it. If that still fails to make it clear, find a lawyer that deals with firearm related law and ask him.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links