New Company Policy (no weapons)

This is a discussion on New Company Policy (no weapons) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A few people are mistaken (lied) on their time card and some are texting at work and all of a sudden we have a new ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Company Policy (no weapons)

New Company Policy (no weapons)

A few people are mistaken (lied) on their time card and some are texting at work and all of a sudden we have a new company Policy handbook. It would have been eaiser to fire them. The stated policy is that there will be no weapons at work. Since there is also a last page with a date and signature location, I decided to say something.
    I told the two owners today that I was concerned about this one section in the handbook. (no handguns at all)
    I stated the facts first.
    The supreme court is of the opinion that each individual is responsible for their own safety. IE you cannot sue the police department for not protecting you.
    The company policy is removing that option from me.

Then I asked, “Is the company now going to take responsibility for my safety at work?”
    Then the dreaded question, “why do you have a handgun on you now?”
    ROTF, I placed it in the car for this conversation in case it was asked and the policy stated how they felt about it.
    “No, Today I do not have it on me, but last week and many weeks prior to that I had it on me.”
    That received a shocked “you did!”
    I said, “Yes, Concealed means never seen… No one knows...”

That got them to thinking a bit.
    Then I received the, “I don’t have a problem with responsible people, but if I let one person, then I have to have that policy for everyone.”
    "I would like you to keep it locked in your car"

Then I informed them that Washington was an “open carry” state and that you needed no permit to strap on a pistol and walk down the street with it.” very suprised at this.

Only responsible people can get a CPL with the background check, finger printing and no criminal record required to have one.
    Then they reminded me about the story they told last week about a guy at some work showing off his new gun and fired it through a wall.
    That is when I told them he should be arrested for that.
    I gave them the link to Washington’s Constitution and to the relevant RCW laws.
    The two owners are going to talk to their attorney to get an opinion.

This is not a high risk area.
    This is a small size ultrasonic company. Nothing to steal or cash to grab.
    There are the two owners.
    2 salary people, Me-Electronics Eng, and a Mechanical Eng
    6 hourly full time people working at this company.
    single story building, my car is parked right outside my window.
    but I do ariver there at 6AM an unlock the door for everyone else.
    Some times I have been there by my self tell 11PM.

I have my Idea of what to do when the choise comes down, what are the opinions from the group about this development?
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like you've presented your case very well. I would assume that private businesses in WA have the prerogative to prohibit weapons within their confines. So, if the owners decide on a weapons ban in the workplace, I don't know what other recourse you have other than to

1) comply (begrudgingly)
    2) carry concealed with the risk of getting caught and possibly fired
    3) quit and find a more 2A-friendly employer

Which you choose is obviously up to you and only you. Regardless of any opinions you receive here, you and only you are responsible for the consequences.
    Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Being such a small company, and the fact that you have been carrying at work all along, they may allow you to continue carrying.

Well you can always hope. If not you'll have to keep it in the car.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

Well, on a positive note, they said that you could keep it in your car...that's something that many companies won't allow...so things could be worse.

If they're going to talk to their attorney...forget having CCW allowed in the office. OMO

Stay armed...at least you can have it in the car...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It sounds like you handled the situation very well. At least they are discussing the option and consider you to be a responsible employee.

I'm a VP for a land development company, the two senior partners know I carry, but have asked me to keep it in my truck.
    After a contractor came in a few months ago demanding to be paid in full and got a bit confrontational with our CFO, they kinda joked and said they hoped I was "pack'n".
    I told them to never ask me again and we would leave it at that.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you.
    Ritalin - So much easier than parenting.

VIP Member
    Good luck, I hope it goes your way but I'll be very surprised if it actually does.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

The northwest Washington company I work for does not even allow us to lock our guns up in our cars. I have several coworkers who carry and we may or may not be complying with this policy. If it came down to it, I would simply park in the next parking lot over! Suckers

it was only because of the signed statement section that I said anything at all. I was happy with the "don't ask, don't tell". The two links I provided are below.

Washington State Constitution
    Washington State Constitution.
    SECTION 24 RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS. The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain or employ an armed body of men.

Washington state’s RCW deals with firearms.
    Chapter 9.41 RCW: Firearms and dangerous weapons

RCW 9.41.270
    Weapons apparently capable of producing bodily harm — Unlawful carrying or handling — Penalty — Exceptions.
    (1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.

(2) Any person violating the provisions of subsection (1) above shall be guilty of a gross misdemeanor. If any person is convicted of a violation of subsection (1) of this section, the person shall lose his or her concealed pistol license, if any. The court shall send notice of the revocation to the department of licensing, and the city, town, or county which issued the license.

///////////////////
    It is unlawful to draw your weapon at any time. (brandishing)
    You may be exempt from prosecution in stopping the commission of a felony upon yourself or another.

I am hoping that there greatest fear was the 'playing' with guns at work or the AD of a weapon. The link to the RCW was to show that anyone doing so was going to lose their CPL and would not be a problem anymore.
    If we stay a gun free zone then i will have to say "baaa" anytime I am asked a question. In the car is better than at home, but that still means locked out of site and unloaded. My response time goes out the window.
    I’ve been thinking of moving to AZ anyway.
    Large presence in Robotics, Programming, Electronic Eng.
    I can get another job anyplace.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Quote Originally Posted by tbrenke View Post
    I’ve been thinking of moving to AZ anyway.
    Large presence in Robotics, Programming, Electronic Eng.
    I can get another job anyplace.
    Tech heaven in the Southeast Valley with the big Intel presence. I seems like it's a requirement to be in the industry to live in that area Nice place to live. Lowest sales tax in the metro area. I would have lived there myself but it was too far from my job.

Sounds like you are doing well.... let us know how it goes .

You should also know that if they say you can not carry at work ,then they are responsible for your safety and if you are attacked then they are liable.
    Because they did not protect you with the same level of protection
    that the gun would have given you.
    This is not possible for them to do without having a armed guard walking with you that all times .

Because thy have the right to suspend your second amendment rights
    at work does not mean the right is gone , just suspended.
    At that point they have taken on the responsibility to provide that same level of safety for you.

I'm sure their attorney will tell them this and tell them if they
    don,t like you carrying a gun they can blame it on their insurance
    company's policy and give you a choice to work there or quit.

That is what gun shows here are doing now ,NO CC ALLOWED
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Good for you! Really. Maybe you work for some responsible and intelligent, open minded folks. But now the can of worms has been opened in my opinion, and I sincerely hope they won't take any prejudice towards you even after the powers that be discuss things with the company attorney or whomever. I hope you haven't compromised yourself in any way. I hope you retain your job actually. The sheep may very well now be in panic mode.
    Around here, in these here parts, I figure something like this would just be
    No matter how many state and federal laws I had on my side.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Good for you! Really. Maybe you work for some responsible and intelligent, open minded folks. But now the can of worms has been opened in my opinion, and I sincerely hope they won't take any prejudice towards you even after the powers that be discuss things with the company attorney or whomever. I hope you haven't compromised yourself in any way. I hope you retain your job actually. The sheep may very well now be in panic mode.
    Around here, in these here parts, I figure something like this would just be
    No matter how many state and federal laws I had on my side.
    +1
    If they don,t ask you don,t tell
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Unless their Lawyer is very pro-2A you can just forget it at this point. The lawyer will fully understand the liability the company might hold if you were injured on the job because you were unable to defend yourself, but the lawyer is also going to be keenly aware of the liability of having someone hurt by your gun -- especially now that they know.

I would never have approached them, it's a no-win situation. The only situation that really works in favor of both the employee and the employer is a "don't ask, don't tell, no policy at all" approach.

So, unless you get very lucky... the answer is "no" and now they know and word will get around.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Get a fanny pack that looks like a car
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links