Big-city politician gets it? St. Louis alderman calls on residents to get armed

This is a discussion on Big-city politician gets it? St. Louis alderman calls on residents to get armed within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is this guy for real? The Associated Press: St. Louis alderman calls on residents to get armed St. Louis alderman calls on residents to get ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big-city politician gets it? St. Louis alderman calls on residents to get armed

Big-city politician gets it? St. Louis alderman calls on residents to get armed

Is this guy for real?

The Associated Press: St. Louis alderman calls on residents to get armed

St. Louis alderman calls on residents to get armed
    By CHERYL WITTENAUER 1 hour ago

ST. LOUIS (AP) A city alderman frustrated with the police response to rising crime called Tuesday on residents to arm themselves to protect their lives and property.

Alderman Charles Quincy Troupe said police are ineffective, outnumbered or don't care about the increase in crime in his north St. Louis ward. St. Louis has had 157 homicides in 2008, 33 more than last year at this time.

"The community has to be ready to defend itself, because it's clear the economy is going to get worse, and criminals are getting more bold," Troupe, 72, said Tuesday.

Troupe said that when he and residents approached a district police commander last year, they were told "there was nothing he could do to protect us and the community ... that he didn't have the manpower."

Police did not immediately return requests for comment. Chief Dan Isom wrote Tuesday in a department blog that citizens arming themselves will lead to more danger, not less, he said.

Neighborhood watch groups, and the hard work of helping to eradicate poverty and other social ills, are better crime-prevention tools, he said.

Mayor Francis Slay wrote in his blog Tuesday that some of the most violent crimes in Troupe's ward are committed with guns stolen from law-abiding citizens.

He said Troupe could do more good urging residents to cooperate with investigating police officers, lending support for activities for children, and lobbying legislators to increase funding for jobs training and economic development.

Troupe's reaction to the spike in homicides is understandable, but his idea is not likely to be effective, said University of Missouri-St. Louis criminologist Richard Rosenfeld.

"Much of the problem is free and easy access to guns," Rosenfeld said. "This hope that by putting guns in the right hands will have an influence on criminals is a false hope. There's no evidence for that."

In one of the latest violent crimes in St. Louis, a man was shot dead Monday and an unarmed potential suspect in the killing was shot by police. The 45-year-old suspect had put his hand inside his coat and two officers, fearing for their safety, shot him. He was in stable condition.

2. Remove Ads

Well, there is a politician who is starting to get it.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I saw that earlier. It is about time one of them woke up to reality.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Distinguished Member
    Now why would we want to do that??? What they have been doing has been working so very well, why change.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Quote Originally Posted by tflhndn View Post
    Troupe's reaction to the spike in homicides is understandable, but his idea is not likely to be effective, said University of Missouri-St. Louis criminologist Richard Rosenfeld.

"Much of the problem is free and easy access to guns," Rosenfeld said. "This hope that by putting guns in the right hands will have an influence on criminals is a false hope. There's no evidence for that."
    I keep reading that states that have concealed carry options have a decrease in crime.

Who has read too much of Darell Huff's How to Lie With Statistics.

Perhaps I'm dreaming here. Maybe the politicians will actually try to do something about crime. We all know that many of them shudder at the fact that citizens want to be armed.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I'm sure this is an isolated case of realistic governing. It does tell me that there is hope though. It's about time a city official see's the light.

>>---->
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Now I would like to see the crime stats come down, they just don't realize that crime goes down when gun ownership goes up.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

i actually just got finished emailing this man, telling him what i thought about him: that i was proud of him, for doing what a man does. i think it might be nice if others also contacted him, as well, to tell him what a good job he's doing.

Troupe gets it! The Mayor........

Mayor Francis Slay wrote in his blog Tuesday that some of the most violent crimes in Troupe's ward are committed with guns stolen from law-abiding citizens.

He said Troupe could do more good urging residents to cooperate with investigating police officers, lending support for activities for children, and lobbying legislators to increase funding for jobs training and economic development.
    Troupe for Mayor!

Question

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    i actually just got finished emailing this man, telling him what i thought about him: that i was proud of him, for doing what a man does. i think it might be nice if others also contacted him, as well, to tell him what a good job he's doing.
    Where did you get his email address?

Quote Originally Posted by MP45Man View Post
    Where did you get his email address?
    google is my friend. you should meet him, someday.

http://stlcin.missouri.org/index/contactald.cfm?Ward=1

I too have sent an email to help encourage his behavior

I just read this on FOX news. I think it is great!

Now, if we can just get some more politicians to do the same as this one, the world would be a better place real fast.

Chief Dan Isom told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch he understands Troupe's frustration but doesn't support citizens arming themselves.

Carrying guns, he said, is not a "recipe for a less violent community."
    Actually Chief, that is exactly the recipe for a less violent community. What a moron....
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    I certainly welcome and applaud Mr. Troupe for using some common sense and speaking out as he did.

It's very frustrating to read the other comments of those opposing Mr. Troupe's ideas. Do you suppose they'll ever "get it?"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links