Flying to Tennessee!

This is a discussion on Flying to Tennessee! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm going to visit Nashville soon for a couple days, and need some law info. Tennessee and Florida have a CCL reciprocal agreement last time ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flying to Tennessee!

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar

Flying to Tennessee!

I'm going to visit Nashville soon for a couple days, and need some law info. Tennessee and Florida have a CCL reciprocal agreement last time I checked. As I understand it, I can't carry in any place that serves alcohol, courtrooms, school grounds, any parks, and any place that has a valid posted sign is posted. I know Tennessee is open carry, but I won't. I might be going to a concert, what about carrying there?

What about in cars? If I'm not carrying on me?

What about knives? Type, size, where I can't carry.

Where can I find these laws online from a credible source?

I'm going to take my M&P. More capacity and easier and cheaper to replace than my PPS. Only downside is size and I can only carry it on my belt.

I hear it is cold up there. It was in the thirties here where I am in Florida and I was freezing my butt off. I will definitely be layering up, and I only have a C-TAC for my M&P, so being able to draw quickly may be a concern. I think a cheap OWB holster may be in order as this is probably the only time I would use it. Recommendations?

Thanks everybody for your help.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

2. Remove Ads

I might be going to a concert, what about carrying there?

Depends on where concert is. If city civic center, no (public owned property used for recreation). If college campus, no. Matter of fact, can't think of place that would have a concert offhand where you could carry.

As long as you have permit on you, can have in car in any way you like.

Knife: 4" and less blade. No switchblade. Other than that, any type, any way you want to carry it. (except on school property, then there are some other kinds of knives that are restricted).

Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryPower View Post
    Where can I find these laws online from a credible source?..
    I've gotten to where I like the NRA's legal site better than handgunlaw.us

NRA-ILA ::

click on state of choice for PDF.

- OS

Quote Originally Posted by OhShoot View Post
    I've gotten to where I like the NRA's legal site better than handgunlaw.us

NRA-ILA ::

click on state of choice for PDF.

- OS
    Just read over the details for Texas and it seems to be outdated. For instance, you are allowed to carry in a hospital (unless a legal 30.06 posting)

Quote Originally Posted by OhShoot View Post
    I might be going to a concert, what about carrying there?

Depends on where concert is. If city civic center, no (public owned property used for recreation). If college campus, no. Matter of fact, can't think of place that would have a concert offhand where you could carry.

As long as you have permit on you, can have in car in any way you like.

Knife: 4" and less blade. No switchblade. Other than that, any type, any way you want to carry it. (except on school property, then there are some other kinds of knives that are restricted).
    OhShoot covered most of it. The only thing I would add is that Tennessee is a no carry in Hospitals state as well. It's stupid but, it's the law.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Tennessee is a no carry in Hospitals state as well.
    Since when?
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    Since when?
    Well......this was my understanding from another member here who is very up on the TN carry laws. I will have to delve further into this to verify it further.

Now, I have had occasion to go to the hospital a few times in the last couple of years having a bunch of active kids who play sports and one who liked to jump the last couple of steps on the stair case on the way down. And I have never seen a hospital posted. So I could be wrong.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    Since when?
    I have not seen a hospital that was not clearly posted at all doors. Most of my business is around Chattanooga-Knoxville and surrounding counties. I was also told if it is a public owned hospital - it is banned whether posted or not. I live in GA - on the border of TN and my business is in TN - I usually do not carry in any health care facility.

The only thing I would add is, why not just drive. TN. is not that far from FL. and gas has come down a lot. I just wouldn't want to deal with the TSA folks and enjoy the drive a lot more - but that's just me.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

VIP Member
    [QUOTE=MilitaryPower;929853] Where can I find these laws online from a credible source?

Handgunlaw.us
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyboyLDB View Post
    I have not seen a hospital that was not clearly posted at all doors. Most of my business is around Chattanooga-Knoxville and surrounding counties. I was also told if it is a public owned hospital - it is banned whether posted or not. I live in GA - on the border of TN and my business is in TN - I usually do not carry in any health care facility.
    There is NOTHING in Tennessee Code about hospitals and carry, period.
    It is like any other business. Legally posted, no carry.

Just like many malls that post, there are usually common entrances that are NOT posted, even if SOME are. Your choice. Concealed is concealed, eh?

My doctor's building simply has a "no concealed weapons" non-compliant sign, for example. I thought about open carrying there, but decided not to scare the citizens therein.

- OS

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I'm no attorney but I've studied hard these gun laws and carry laws in Tennessee. I put more into that than my school work. I've never run across anything the prohibits carry in a hospital.

Publicly owned property in Tennessee is not off limits - unless it is "for recreational purposes." Furthermore, I'm not aware of a publicly owned hospital. I am aware of hospitals which are "schools" which would be off limits, but most are simply businesses.

The local hospital where I worked has the proper sign on all the main doors, but on none of the doors the connect the building with the parking garages. It's not properly posted.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

There are plenty of hospitals that are under an unversity - I would guess you could be charged with a violation under school/college.

It just amazes me why people think if it is posted, they will get asked to leave first. I know some LEOs that will arrest you and let the judge decide. After all it is the law if it is posted. I know, not all entrances are posted - but was the one that you entered through posted? Next loophole is it is not of legal size and standard type, etc - but does the general population interpret the intent of the signage?

License/permit holders tout themselves as being the most law abiding group around - until disobeying it suits them.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    What about fixed blades?
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links