What do you do when you can't carry?

This is a discussion on What do you do when you can't carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here in OH, much like many other states, many places that are not restricted by the CCW law are restricted by posting the no weapon ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you do when you can't carry?

Here in OH, much like many other states, many places that are not restricted by the CCW law are restricted by posting the no weapon sign (which between the law & signs really limits where you can carry, but that's another topic). So, if you are carrying and going from place to place, what do you do when some of the places you go to do not allow CC?

I realize one obvious option is to not go in, but that's not always a reasonable option.

I'm not comfortable leaving my gun in the truck since I have not come up w/a good way to secure it.

Just looking for ideas on what others do. Is there good way to secure your sidearm in the vehicle?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    i use a center of mass safe

Quote Originally Posted by f8lranger4x4 View Post
    i use a center of mass safe
    +1....don't use it YET, but in the mail. Will probably bolt it down in the passenger foot well...up high enuff to be out of the way yet accessible for safe storage for these quick runs into places i can't carry legally

Well, to my understanding, at least in AZ, a sign means nothing unless the store owner ask you to leave if he spots the concealed gun. If that is the case, you are now trespassing for which you can be arrested. So then I guess you will leave.

AZ, doesn't permit you to enter restaurants that serve alcohol, in that case, I will not go in since I can lose my right to CCW. I will eat somewhere else or store pistol in car.

I believe there a auto gun safes that bolt to the floor and you can lock your gun.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

I would avoid any place with a sign (meaningless in FL)...but for me, it's the thinking behind the sign that would take my business elsewhere.
    I should mention, that here in Central Florida, I have never seen a sign.

I will always follow the law...police station, school, county building...if I cannot carry there, I will keep it in the car, but that's a temporary situation.
    When kept in the car, it's in a Center of Mass safe and hidden in a place that cannot be easily seen/found.

Stay armed...CoM safes work very well...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

In Car Safe Details

So it looks like this locks to the vehicle (or where ever) by a cable rather than bolting. I guess that's an advantage in that you can lock it elsewhere (hotel).

Is this the preferred brand?

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    In Utah, signs mean nothing so thats not an issue here. Otherwise, I obey all Federal and other local carry laws. If I need to go into a building that restricts my right to carry, I send my wife to that place. If they dont respect my rights, I dont patronize them.

>>---->
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Katoom View Post
    In Car Safe Details

So it looks like this locks to the vehicle (or where ever) by a cable rather than bolting. I guess that's an advantage in that you can lock it elsewhere (hotel).

I have one.
    It's not bad for what it is, and a good bargain price wise.

Obviously, it's not gonna keep someone who steals your car from getting into it at his leisure. But should deter normal thief who's just trying to toss your car in a hurry.

Also good for travel compliance across states where your permit isn't good, or whatever. Also, satisfies TSA for airplane flights.

Well, worth the bux.

- OS

In Car Safe Details

Yes, I would say this is certainly one of the more popular brands. I had one of those small metal cash boxes that lock laying around so I lined it with felt. I also had a small cable lock that I wasn't using so I used that to strap the box to the base of the car seat. It fits my G26perfectly (about an inch clearance on all sides). Just a thought to try and save you a buck. Doesn't really have to be a COM but they aren't that much money and are widely used.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

In Car Safe Details

Meant to mention: of course if the car thief has a pair of decent cable cutters with him, adios pistola.

- OS

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I should mention, that here in Central Florida, I have never seen a sign.
    I've seen ONE, leaving the Altamonte Springs AMC 18 movie theater... facing INTO the building, on the main exits...???

I took a ammo can welded a bolt on the front so when you close it the bolt comes through the hole in the flap that closes the can, then drilled a hole in the bolt for a lock. I bolted it in my truck tool box.

I leave mine in the bottom of a Wal-Mart shopping cart, has anyone seen it BTW?

Kidding, if I can't carry somewhere in the short term, it is a COM safe for me. As Retsupp99 said, even if it is not a legally binding sign I consider the intent of the sign and unless they have something I REALLY want I'll go somewhere else.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Don't go there.

In extremely rare instances, I need to head to the courthouse or the airport. In those cases, I'm carrying a knife, occasionally my uber-cane (by Cold Steel).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links