Reciprocity and Out of State Permits

This is a discussion on Reciprocity and Out of State Permits within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have my OH CCW permit and according to the Attorney General's site ( Ohio Attorney General - Concealed Carry ) my neighboring state of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reciprocity and Out of State Permits

Reciprocity and Out of State Permits

I have my OH CCW permit and according to the Attorney General's site (Ohio Attorney General - Concealed Carry) my neighboring state of IN does not have a reciprocity agreement. Which I don't understand because I think in IN you don't even have to take a class, you just go ask for a permit.

Handgunlaw.us state IN does, but I think I'll go by the AG's site for now.

Where I'm going w/this is what other out of state permit(s) is best, to give more reciprocity? I think FL is a good one.

What is needed to get an out of state permit once I already have my OH permit?

2. Remove Ads

i live in NH but really close to MA. so i cant carry half the time

Florida and Utah should give you the best coverage in other states. Yes, you can carry in Indiana with your Ohio permit/license. We honor all other states and countries permits/license.

I understand that Utah may have recently become more of a pain to get...FL should give you no problems getting the permit.
    You just have to make sure that the state you visit allows non-resident permits.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by sharpetop View Post
    Florida and Utah should give you the best coverage in other states. Yes, you can carry in Indiana with your Ohio permit/license. We honor all other states and countries permits/license.
    +1

http://www.in.gov/isp/files/firearms_FAQ_02_08.pdf

I am a resident of another state and I have a valid handgun license issued by my
    home state. Does Indiana honor my states license?
    Yes. Indiana honors valid handgun licenses issued by another state.
    Reciprocity is an agreement by both states to honor each others permits. Ohio thinks Indiana citizens should not be able carry concealed while they are here. Indiana believes anyone with a license from any state is welcome to stay armed while visiting or passing through.

Reciprocity is where the states have an agreement to honor each others permit as if it was thier own.

For example AZ & UT use to have reciprocity so if you lived in AZ you could possess a UT permit and not need an AZ one (which many did since it was easier to get the UT).

AZ and UT had a issue and AZ revoked the reciprocity agreement. Now AZ honors the UT permit of out of state visitors, but if you are an AZ resident you must have an AZ permit (or another state that has reciprocity)

Most assume reciprocity and honoring another states permits are the same thing.

If you using an out of state permit..ie you live in Indiana and have a UT permit, you must make sure the state you are visiting honors the UT permit if your not a resident of UT. For example, Colorado only honors UT permits if you are a resident of Utah, It will not honor UT out of state permits.
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

I thought UT was going to start requiring the training class to be taken in UT only.This would stop most new out of state people from applying.
    Other than that, FL gives the most coverage, NH and PA are very cheap and give you alot of the southeastern states.
    Handgunlaw.us to see the CCW license map.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Always been my understanding that ohio can carry in indiana, but the reverse is not true. FWIW, indiana accepts all other states, ohio will not make a reciproctiy agreement with indiana because their training requirement isn't similar to Ohio's (at least that is my understanding of the issue).

Florida and Utah seem to be the most common out of states, as mentioned above.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I just got PA and NH as with those two I got all but one, possibly two, states that UT or FL would have given me but at a quarter of the price. It took less than two weeks mail box to mail box to receive them.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TapRackBang View Post
    AZ and UT had a issue and AZ revoked the reciprocity agreement. Now AZ honors the UT permit of out of state visitors, but if you are an AZ resident you must have an AZ permit (or another state that has reciprocity)
    That isn't unusual, even Florida won't recognize out of state permits for their residents.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Katoom View Post
    Which I don't understand because I think in IN you don't even have to take a class, you just go ask for a permit
    There are several levels of reciprocity. VT and AK require no permits for CC. IN unilaterally recognizes any other state CC permit. Some pairs of states bilaterally recognize each other's permits with no formal reciprocity agreement (for example, CO and PA). OH is restrictive in requiring reciprocal states to have certain requirements; CO and OH don't have reciprocity because OH refuses---CO will recognize the permit of state X if state X will recognize the CO permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Katoom View Post
    What is needed to get an out of state permit once I already have my OH permit?
    Depends on the state. If you send a copy of your OH permit to the Sheriff of Centre County PA, and a fee payment, that's it. FL requires a notarized application, fingerprint card, passport photos. FL issues only 1 kind of permit, not distinguishing between FL residents and non-residents. A cool thing about FL is the permit is signed by the Commissioner of the Department of Agriculture, Charles H. Bronson.

VIP Member
    Your Ohio permit is honored in Indiana. Indiana recognizes all valid Conceal Carry Permits. However Ohio does not honor a Indiana permit.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

States that require training before obtaining a permit seldom offer reciprocity to states that don't.

This is from Indiana's web site:
    What states honor my Indiana handgun license?

Indiana honors all other states handgun licenses. Not all other states honor Indiana’s license. Websites and organizations such as the NRA do attempt to track this information. Each state regulates this area differently and there is no obligation for one state to notify another state of any change in their law; therefore the department does
    not attempt to track this information.

Note: Illinois issues a Firearms Owners Identification (FOI) card. This card relates to the purchasing of firearms, not a permit to routinely carry a handgun and is therefore is not honored as such in Indiana.

I am a resident of another state and I have a valid handgun license issued by my home state. Does Indiana honor my states license?

Yes. Indiana honors valid handgun licenses issued by another state.
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
    I thought UT was going to start requiring the training class to be taken in UT only...
    There is a Utah certified instructed who lives about 80 miles from me in New Jersey, and does give training for Utah non-resident permits. So, I guess it's still ok to do that.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links