Do you change your carry when you get home?

This is a discussion on Do you change your carry when you get home? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm interested in finding out if the people here change their carry when they arrive home. Do you take off your concealed and opt for ...

View Poll Results: Do you change your concealed carry when you get home?

Voters
214. You may not vote on this poll
  • I take off my concealed weapon and do not carry at home.

59 27.57%
  • I swap my concealed weapon and open carry at home.

23 10.75%
  • I add an open carry weapon to existing concealed carry at home.

5 2.34%
  • I don't change anything.

127 59.35%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you change your carry when you get home?

Post Do you change your carry when you get home?

I'm interested in finding out if the people here change their carry when they arrive home. Do you take off your concealed and opt for open carry, go without, add another one on, don't change anything? Why?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I dont change, I throw on my sweats and keep my 1911 within reach. When I go to bed, it goes with me.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    While I'm more prone to open carry at home, I don't really change anything.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    I dont change, I throw on my sweats and keep my 1911 within reach. When I go to bed, it goes with me.
    My carry gun comes off and sits on the bookshelf right beside my recliner. My 1911 sits right by the front door. One Glock on one bedroom and the other Glock goes in the other bedroom. My carry gun goes on the nightstand when I go to bed. Mossberg 500 is in the bedroom also.

CC=Cover garment; Home=OC with same rig. Simple is as simple does.

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    I usually wear a button down shirt as cover garment and an undershirt under that. When I get home the button down comes off, but the rig stays the same. Keeping the 1911 on me is the only way I've found to have an 18 month old in the house and still have a readily accessible firearm. I'm comfortable with IWB all day long, so leaving it on for a couple more hours at night is no biggie. Sometimes (like now) after she's gone to bed, I pull the gun out of the holster and set it next to me... but not usually as the wife is slowly coming around to the whole gun thing and she's a little nervous about the weapon just lying about...
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

I generally just stay as is. To each his own, but I'm not a fan of leaving weapons near the front door. It just gives the BG a chance. I don't even like "hiding" weapons in various locations of the house. I'd rather have them secured in the safe and keep one on me at all times. JMO.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

My duty weapon goes in the safe when I get home. My BUG stays in my front pocket until I go to bed.
    Randy

VIP Member
    I usually use the same weapon I carry, but go from IWB to OWB.....

My S&W 340 in ankle holster doesn't come off until I go to bed. I am still wearing it right now. It is very comfortable. 100% of all home invasions happen at the home.
    Even when I am carrying my Taurus .45 or Bersa .380 OWB, it tends to stay on until lights out. I can't find a good reason to take take of a perfectly good hangun/holster combo at home.

Senior Member Array Hydrashok Glock's Avatar
    Get home and take off pants on floor. Go to fridge and get beverage and a snack. Glock stays in holster and goes on nightstand. Nothing changes
    The choices you make today define you of who you are tommorow

When you see the light at the end of the tunnel your life is not over..... it is just about to begin

COPS Protective Services

From 5:30 in the morning until I get in bed (usually after 11pm), my XD45 sits on my waist in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. Like others have mentioned, having it on you is the only place you know where it is at all times and who has access to it.

I have on occasion taken off my button up shirt when I got home and didn't realize I was showing for about a good 30 mins. My 2 kids and wife didn't even notice but it might be because of the black undershirts I always wear.

I don't change anything. My S&W SW40VE rides with me in the day and sits in my lap (or in my back pocket if I move around) at night before retiring to the nightstand. I do usually have my J-Frame in reach too but that's just because it's abode is right near where I plop at night.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

VIP Member
    I don't change a thing until my weapon goes from my IWB holster to my mattress holster when I go to bed.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member
    I take my gun off and take it out off it's holster and put it on the coffee table next to me, until I go to bed, then I get out my Glock with night sights and put it on the nightstand, still no holster.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links