Parade

This is a discussion on Parade within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Panama City is having it's annual x-mas parade tomorrow and I was voluntold that I will be participating... No big deal to me really, I ...

Thread: Parade

Parade

Panama City is having it's annual x-mas parade tomorrow and I was voluntold that I will be participating... No big deal to me really, I didn't exactly have anything else planned like siting in my 308...

But I just found out that the parade board has a 'no weapons' policy... And it doesn't make sense. The parade will be on public streets and public property the entire time...

The bad part is... Because of what we do in the parade, we park in the school drivers ed parking lot... And I know there is no weapons on school grounds.

This stinks all the way around.

Just had to grumble a little...

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Stay home

Make a point

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by AirForceShooter View Post
    Stay home

Make a point

AFS
    I don't think his chain of command will like that...if this is a Military gig, mandofun, loved it....NOT!

VIP Member
    I can feel for you. Hate it when I get voluntold for things too. Seems like being "boss" of the house isn't all it's cracked up to be!
    Good luck on the parade, make sure you carry alternative defensive "tools".

New thought, maybe you could carry anyway, just tell them it's not a weapon, it's a tool. That i if they find out your carrying a tool.
    Last edited by archer51; December 5th, 2008 at 09:07 AM. Reason: added thought
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

It's for the kids... 4H. I don't hate doing it, I dislike the rules the parade committee puts on public roadways.

If you want to neglect the kids when you have an opportunity, you go for it. I won't. 4H is all about the kids, even when the other parents forget that fact.

I am not as involved in it as my wife is, but when I am voluntold, I do my best to do whatever I was voluntold to do! I will be driving the buggy!!

So I won't be missing it just to make a point... I learned long ago to pick my battles...

Check your state laws, your results may vary.

In North Carolina, concealed handguns may not be carried:
    In areas of assemblies, parades, funerals or demonstrations.
    Ritalin - So much easier than parenting.

Quote Originally Posted by DblTap View Post
    Check your state laws, your results may vary.

In North Carolina, concealed handguns may not be carried:
    In areas of assemblies, parades, funerals or demonstrations.
    Now that you mention it, I think you are right... I'll have to double check that later. Our 790 is below... No mention of parades...

I still don't have to like it. I am just venting about it.

790.06 (12) License to Carry Concealed Weapon or Firearm

Any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05
    any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station;
    any detention facility, prison, or jail;
    any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom;
    any polling place;
    any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district;
    any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof;
    any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms;
    any school administration building;
    any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose;
    any elementary or secondary school facility;
    any area vocational-technical center;
    any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile;
    inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or
    any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law
    In addition, Section 790.11 prohibits firearms in National Forests except during hunting season. This does not apply to a firearm securely stored within a vehicle on a state road.

TOF
    Quote Originally Posted by KG4ZRC View Post
    Section 790.11 prohibits firearms in National Forests except during hunting season. This does not apply to a firearm securely stored within a vehicle on a state road.
    This one is a bit surprising to an Arizona resident. The national Park System has restrictions but not National Forests. As long as we do so safely we can carry, open or concealed and shoot in the National Forest.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

You could help start a 4-H rifle course for the kids. My niece learned to shoot .22 rifles that way and won the state championship. Now she's an adult and carrys a Ruger 9MM for her defense weapon. Point is, the best way to fight laws that restrict our God given freedoms is to help others learn to use and enjoy theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by KG4ZRC View Post
    It's for the kids... 4H. I don't hate doing it, I dislike the rules the parade committee puts on public roadways.

If you want to neglect the kids when you have an opportunity, you go for it. I won't. 4H is all about the kids, even when the other parents forget that fact.

I am not as involved in it as my wife is, but when I am voluntold, I do my best to do whatever I was voluntold to do! I will be driving the buggy!!

So I won't be missing it just to make a point... I learned long ago to pick my battles...
    If you cannot stand behind our troops feel free to stand in front of them.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

If you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself..."Baa."

VIP Member
    Sounds like bad luck for you, and somewhat related.............

This is how it reads for Louisiana:

A parade or demonstration for which a permit is issued by a governmental entity;

So let's say we have an all-day festival and about midday a parade is on the schedule. It looks like I could CCW before and after the parade?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    INew thought, maybe you could carry anyway, just tell them it's not a weapon, it's a tool. That i if they find out your carrying a tool.
    Why would one want to risk losing his CHL permit because of a parade. If it is a concern, my advice is to stay home.

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TOF View Post
    This one is a bit surprising to an Arizona resident. The national Park System has restrictions but not National Forests. As long as we do so safely we can carry, open or concealed and shoot in the National Forest.
    This requires some qualifications.

Firearms regulations in the National Forests are not the same, nationwide. Each NF sets its own rules.

Some National Forests, chiefly in the south and southeast, prohibit firearms except during State hunting seasons.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by airworthy View Post
    You could help start a 4-H rifle course for the kids. My niece learned to shoot .22 rifles that way and won the state championship. Now she's an adult and carrys a Ruger 9MM for her defense weapon. Point is, the best way to fight laws that restrict our God given freedoms is to help others learn to use and enjoy theirs.
    Working on it! We're starting with shotguns, but will be branchingout in the future...

Oh well... You'll know where I'll be tomorrow... And it won't be at the range.

Life sometimes sucks and we end up having to do stuff we'd rather not like to do, like go unarmed in the world for a time. just stay very alert and try to enjoy the parade.

My Grandfather used to tell me, "Life is a series of disappointments of varying degrees, then the sweet release of death."

Grandpa wasn't a real "life of the party" kind of guy.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Links