Local VFW

Local VFW

This is a discussion on Local VFW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My unit had a Holiday Party last night at our Local VFW. I was a bit disapointed when I was walking up to the door ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Local VFW

Local VFW

My unit had a Holiday Party last night at our Local VFW. I was a bit disapointed when I was walking up to the door with my family and there posted on the door was a "No Weapon Concealed or otherwise permitted, Violators will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law" sign.

When asked if I wanted to join, I told them "Thanks for your service, but unless I'm allowed to carry my weapon with me, I can't in good faith become a member". Just got weird looks.

You would think of all the places NOT to see that sign, the VFW would be one.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Woe! That IS disappointing!
    ... whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one. (Luke 22:36b NASB)
    FN Herstal FNP-9, FNP-357, Kahr TP45
    Ruger LCP, S&W 22a
    http://revderb.blogspot.com

Under NC laws, would you be able to carry in VFW anyway? Every VFW post I've seen serves alcohol.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

True under NC Law, you can't conceal carry into a place that sells alcohol, But I should have been able to Open Carry. The sign said "Concealed or otherwise," which is where I had my problem.

TOF
    You might write a formal letter to the local manager of the specific VFW operation and remind them of what we Vetrans have fought and died in support of.

Good luck
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

I wouldn't join then. When I see those signs, my money isn't good there as far as I'm concerned. If it's because of the alcohol I might have to reconsider - but then again I don't drink.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

VIP Member
    I'm a vet of 24 years, my service covered Viet Nam, Granada, Panama and Dessert Storm, yet not eligible to join the VFW. Why, because my job was aircraft maintenance and was not in a combat zone. I made sure the aircraft that delivered the troops and supply's were ready to carry out their mission, but for the VFW that isn't good enough. I'll continue to give my support to those who represent ALL veterans. The American Legion.

I also find the VFW kind of hypocritical in the fact that you are welcome in their establishment with open arms if your on active duty, even in peace time, but once your retired they don't care unless you can join.
    Last edited by archer51; December 5th, 2008 at 01:00 PM. Reason: added thought
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I also find the VFW kind of hypocritical in the fact that you are welcome in their establishment with open arms if your on active duty, even in peace time, but once your retired they don't care unless you can join.
    I did not know that. Either way, they are not getting me as a member. I'll have to look into the Legion as an option. Thanks

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    No signs like that in our post. It seems kinda odd that those that carried a weapon daily in a combat zone would be considered a risk in a stateside social club occupied by those with similar experience.

I'm a vet of 24 years, my service covered Viet Nam, Granada, Panama and Dessert Storm, yet not eligible to join the VFW. Why, because my job was aircraft maintenance and was not in a combat zone. I made sure the aircraft that delivered the troops and supply's were ready to carry out their mission, but for the VFW that isn't good enough. I'll continue to give my support to those who represent ALL veterans. The American Legion.

+1 Archer. The VFW has tried several times to get me to join as I was in the combat zone in the Persian Gulf War in 1991. But I always tell them the same thing, there were a whole lot of other service members behind the lines and at home making it possible for guys and gals like me to fight there. Let them join too and I will gladly join up. Until then, stop calling me.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I'll continue to give my support to those who represent ALL veterans. The American Legion.
    Well, the American Legion - chartered by the Congress - does have some date specific times that qualify you for membership and does allow all active duty service members to join. I served on active duty from July '75 to Jan '80 and am not eligible to join the American Legion (or the VFW for that matter). I joined AMVETS instead - they do permit ALL veterans to join regardless of timeframes or whether they are on active duty or not.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

While I'm not an American Legion member, a couple of years ago I went to Disabled American Veterans (DAV) meetings held at their facility.

When I saw that it was posted, I sent a letter to both the local and national offices. While I never got a call or any other contact, the signs disappeared about a month later, never to return!

Speak up about the issue and ask that they remove the posting.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

The signs are a 'disgrace' to those they are trying to represent. I'd start writing letters.
    Maybe you can change their thinking...wait a minute, they aren't thinking.

Stay armed...go where you can stay that way...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    ...there were a whole lot of other service members behind the lines and at home making it possible for guys and gals like me to fight there. Let them join too and I will gladly join up. Until then, stop calling me.
    I've told them that before, also. My words were greeted with blank stares.
    The Edge ... there's no honest way to describe it. The only ones who know where it is have gone over.

Cool

I'm a vet of vietnam and a member of the American Legion. Sorry, I agree with the no firearms laws conerning places that primarily serve alcohol. Drinking can sometimes make people do stupid things and being armed is not good. Now, in the case of restaurants whose primary business is food service, I think carrying concealed should be ok.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links