"Is that a pistol in your pocket, or..."

This is a discussion on "Is that a pistol in your pocket, or..." within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In another thread I was talking about the perils of a first date gone terribly wrong... I'm happily married now, but I started to think ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Is that a pistol in your pocket, or..."

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar

"Is that a pistol in your pocket, or..."

In another thread I was talking about the perils of a first date gone terribly wrong... I'm happily married now, but I started to think about dating and guns... How do you single guys do that?

Where do you go...? Bars and niteclubs are out (at least in Florida), and you have to choose a restaurant carefully... another poster recently said that he saw a "no guns" sign at a movie theatre, so the new chick flick is out... bars, restaurants, and movies are the staples of early dating. Do you leave it in the car...?

It occurred to me that if you were carrying concealed and your date put her hand on your waist and made you, a serious screaming public freakout could be in the making if she is anti-gun, and even if she is not anti-gun, she might think she is out on a date with a potentially dangerous individual... could put a damper on the evening, and your prospects of seeing her again...

Of course, the happiest of circumstances would be for her to detect your gun, and say, "Nice piece, but I prefer the wood grips over rubber... Check out my Kimber..."

So how do you date with guns...?
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

2. Remove Ads

I am not single, but when I am carrying concealed, people can't tell unless they frisk me. And on a date, by the time I get there, it would most likely be in privacy of a room and not in public.

Also, where I live ND/MN, the no gun signs don't mean much until I am asked to leave, which will not happen because I choose right equipment for concealed carry and don't have bad habits that make it appear obvious that I am packing.
    It is not "might OF", it is "might HAVE". It is not "could OF", it is "could HAVE". Go spread the word.

I'm not single, but if I were dating I would be sure to vett the date first. She would already know that I am a gun guy before the touchy feely stuff started so that there would be no surprises.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

I'd keep it to myself like it was no big deal. Kind of like carrying a pen or a pocketwatch.
    If it were "discovered" while on a date I'd simply let her know that a right not used is a right lost, and after the Virginia slayings I felt it was important to make sure my school/work life was safe.

If I never need it I'll be happy. If I ever do, I'll be able. Most of the women I dated previous to getting married would have thought it cool and dangerous.
    Spelling it out for you that can't read between the lines - carrying might just get you invited to stay the night :)
    [I]They make a desert and call it peace - Calgacus
    We're all just a bunch of Right Wing Racist Republican Homophobes - Rush L.

Girls do like a "bad boy"... LOL
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

I'm almost engaged, but this is something I thought about recently, as a result of your story actually. Let's say you're dating a girl who isn't all mentally there, but you didn't realize that until a few days/weeks into the dating. So, you decide to let her go, but she won't let it go that easily. She knows you have a gun and carry, so she calls the cops and says you brandished your weapon and threatened her with it, just to "get back" at you. That's the kind of stuff that freaks me out.

It may seem like a far stretch, but I've been in that exact situation, minus a gun. A girl I thought was cool ended up being psycho and trying to get me fired from work. Thankfully I was able to prove her being a liar, but with a gun and cops involved, that would be much more difficult.
    Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselnut View Post
    I'm almost engaged, but this is something I thought about recently, as a result of your story actually. Let's say you're dating a girl who isn't all mentally there, but you didn't realize that until a few days/weeks into the dating. So, you decide to let her go, but she won't let it go that easily. She knows you have a gun and carry, so she calls the cops and says you brandished your weapon and threatened her with it, just to "get back" at you. That's the kind of stuff that freaks me out.

It may seem like a far stretch, but I've been in that exact situation, minus a gun. A girl I thought was cool ended up being psycho and trying to get me fired from work. Thankfully I was able to prove her being a liar, but with a gun and cops involved, that would be much more difficult.
    In that position I wouldn't be getting my hands dirty with her until we'd discussed the big four topics - politics, religion, money, family.

There's no reason to have her find out you're carrying in the first three dates. Hopefully you've covered all the basics on those dates and can make a better informed decision as to whether she's someone you want to spend time with. Otherwise it's .
    Move on to the next in line.

This is all assuming you're after a long term relationship and not just a midnight snack. Gotta let the weirdos go quick or they get attached.
    [I]They make a desert and call it peace - Calgacus
    We're all just a bunch of Right Wing Racist Republican Homophobes - Rush L.

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselnut View Post

It they're as nutty as that, it all usually comes out right in the end. After all, you're a law abiding citizen that has had background checks and fingerprints and this person more than likely has a track record either at school, with the authorities, or someone that will vouch that she is a nut case. That is why it is always very important to vett those you are dating - not just in days or weeks but sometimes months. You never ever know a person in just a few short days or weeks and sometimes even after having dated for years. You get to know someone real well after you get married - believe me. O.K., now I'm stepping down off of my "dad" soapbox.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

You're right, luckily I found a mostly sane girl to settle down with. She's in the process of applying for her CWP, so I think I'll be ok with this one

But yeah, those obsessive types scare the crap out of me, that's for sure.
    Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

I been there, Deisel... I am so happy to be past all these psychobabes and mental defectives... I dated a girl who filed a false police report against me on the way out, saying I threatened her child (laughable to anyone that knows me), as well as calling all my friends and my employer with the most nefarious of lies about me...

I married up... got me a hot-headed redhead from Texas... she'd never raise a gun to me, but I do keep a watchful eye on all our cast iron skillets...

I’m now married, but when I use to be single and date, in the summer time, I would carry a NAA 22 in my back pocket, and leave a larger pistol in the car.

In the winter time, I’d carry the Walter PPKs IWB in the small of my back. The tricky part of that was taking the pistol and holster out and laying it on a chair and covering it with my jacket before she noticed.

Fortunately, Florida does allow carry in Restaurants, and movie theaters, and just about any place I would want to go. Have not been to a bar in many many years.

I never told the young lady I was armed until I got to know them, and wanted to continue the relationship. Figured what she did not know would not hurt her.

Well I am recently single. And have yet to be on a date. But at whatever point in the future I don't think it will change much. I don't visit bars, and MI is pretty good about where I can carry. IWB is the way to go, and if need be I will just slide my arm under hers so she hugs me above the waist. Done this already. The other option is to use the Smartcarry rig. If someone makes me with that...
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

BAC
    This line of thought is exactly why I've been hunting for a more discrete 'date gun'. If it's attached to your waist in some fashion, the date will come across it sooner or later. I don't bring it up as a topic of conversation because it's not a big deal. The girl I've been talking to stumbled across the permit itself, but she's never brought it up before, so I won't stress over it.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

1943 - 2009

When youíre wounded and left on Afghanistanís plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Sorry... this is a vast website...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links