National Park Carry Decision (Merged X 3)

This is a discussion on National Park Carry Decision (Merged X 3) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; U.S. Department of the Interior - News Release - Interior Announces Final Firearms Policy Update "WASHINGTON, D.C. Assistant Secretary of the Interior for Fish ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar

U.S. Department of the Interior - News Release - Interior Announces Final Firearms Policy Update

"WASHINGTON, D.C. Assistant Secretary of the Interior for Fish and Wildlife and Parks Lyle Laverty today announced that the Department of the Interior has finalized updated regulations governing the possession of firearms in national parks and wildlife refuges. The final rule, which updates existing regulations, would allow an individual to carry a concealed weapon in national parks and wildlife refuges if, and only if, the individual is authorized to carry a concealed weapon under state law in the state in which the national park or refuge is located. The update has been submitted to the Federal Register for publication "

The only National Park close by is next door in Arkansas. I gather reciprocity counts.

Good deal!!!
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

YES! I was thinking this was down the tubes....I've been waiting for this for awhile now.

I just hope the new administration and presumably a new DOI Sec won't immediately reverse this. Oh happy day!
    http://www.myspace.com/sgeringer
    SIG SP2009<>XD45 4"<>S&W 638-3<>GLOCK20<>Mossberg Mav88

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Oustanding!

If this holds up, it will be a tremendous stride forward. "Job well done" to everyone involved in pushing it through.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

That is so awesome! I had even emailed my Senator on that issue. Have always felt so naked when I go to national parks.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

I am so happy.....too bad I have never been to a national park, but I guess I will plan one in when this takes effect.
    It is not "might OF", it is "might HAVE". It is not "could OF", it is "could HAVE". Go spread the word.

Perhaps now I can finally camp in Rocky Mountain National Park.

If I do it this coming summer, maybe I can do it before Obama makes them reverse the rule.

National park carry UPDATE

From the latest VCDL VA-Alert Email:

VA-ALERT: We won! National Parks to allow carry!!

We are analyzing the documents right now and I will get back with more information as soon as we have it!

Congratulations VCDL!

Awesome if true! Will wait for further details before I celebrate.

U.S. Department of the Interior - News Release - Interior Announces Final Firearms Policy Update

U.S. Department of the Interior Date: December 5, 2008
    202-208-6416

Interior Announces Final Firearms Policy Update

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Assistant Secretary of the Interior for Fish and Wildlife and Parks Lyle Laverty today announced that the Department of the Interior has finalized updated regulations governing the possession of firearms in national parks and wildlife refuges. The final rule, which updates existing regulations, would allow an individual to carry a concealed weapon in national parks and wildlife refuges if, and only if, the individual is authorized to carry a concealed weapon under state law in the state in which the national park or refuge is located. The update has been submitted to the Federal Register for publication and is available to the public on U.S. Department of the Interior Home Page.

Existing regulations regarding the carrying of firearms remain otherwise unchanged, particularly limitations on poaching and target practice and prohibitions on carrying firearms in federal buildings.

“America was founded on the idea that the federal and state governments work together to serve the public and preserve our natural resources,” Laverty said. “The Department’s final regulation respects this tradition by allowing individuals to carry concealed firearms in federal park units and refuges to the extent that they could lawfully do so under state law. This is the same basic approach adopted by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) and the United States Forest Service (USFS), both of which allow visitors to carry weapons consistent with applicable federal and state laws.”

On February 22, 2008, Interior Secretary Kempthorne responded to letters from 51 Senators, both Democrats and Republicans, as well as from the Chairman and Ranking Member of the House Natural Resources Committee, urging him to update existing regulations that prohibit the carrying of firearms in national parks and wildlife refuges. In his response, the Secretary directed Assistant Secretary for Fish and Wildlife and Parks Lyle Laverty “to develop and propose for public comment by April 30 Federal regulations that will update firearms policies on these lands to reflect existing Federal laws (such as those prohibiting weapons in Federal buildings) and the laws by which the host states govern transporting and carrying of firearms on their analogous public lands.”

Changes in the final regulations from those originally proposed in April were developed as the result of public comments. In particular, comments expressed concern about the feasibility of implementing regulations which directly linked the carrying of concealed firearms in national parks and wildlife refuges to the ability of an individual to carry a concealed firearm on analogous state lands. The final regulations remove that potential logistical hurdle.

The existing regulations, as currently in effect, were adopted in 1981 for national wildlife refuges and in 1983 for national parks. Since that time many states have enacted new firearms policies. Currently, 48 states have passed legislation allowing for the lawful possession of concealed weapons.

“The Department believes that in managing parks and refuges we should, as appropriate, make every effort to give the greatest respect to the democratic judgments of State legislatures with respect to concealed firearms,” said Laverty. “Federal agencies have a responsibility to recognize the expertise of the States in this area, and federal regulations should be developed and implemented in a manner that respects state prerogatives and authority.”

— DOI —

Great news!! It's about time.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

woohoo!

Safety in national parks. Who'da thunk it?
    [I]They make a desert and call it peace - Calgacus
    We're all just a bunch of Right Wing Racist Republican Homophobes - Rush L.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    This is awesome. Last week I had to drive thru Wind Cave National Park in SD on my way back to MN for Thanksgiving. Really sucked to unload and case.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links