Carry while cycling.

Carry while cycling.

This is a discussion on Carry while cycling. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I like to ride a bicycle for exercise and tend ride out in BFE because the traffic is less and I can relax. The problem ...

Carry while cycling.

I like to ride a bicycle for exercise and tend ride out in BFE because the traffic is less and I can relax. The problem is that I'm out in the boonies and usually alone. I have a situational awareness for cars but have to except the fact that if some one wanted to they could just run me over. But in the case they just pull in front of me and choose to threaten me I was considering carrying a kel tec 380. I could carry this in a PDA case strapped to my hydration pack. Is this a little too paranoid because all the confrontations I have had have been in the city. The problem is that there is no way to out ride a car to get away if anything dose happen. I also intend to carry some pepper spray (for dogs mostly) also.
    -Diplomacy: The art of saying nice dogie until you can find a rock.
    -The truth is a three edged sword.
    -Your brain is your primary weapon everything else is just a tool.
    -When the only tool you have is a hammer then everything starts to look like a nail.

Assistant Administrator
    Bryan - while city risks are way higher - you are not risk free on the highway - not guaranteed IMO.

I would by all means carry at least a KelTec - and leaving aside someone who has it in for you as ''death by automobile''!! - then some means of effective defence is mandatory IMO. Your problem is the how - maybe even a small fanny pack, but have something with you.

Oh and BTW - IMO - NOT paranoid, at all.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I live in a place where cycling is popular and I've heard of people being stabbed or beaten while cycling and their bikes stolen.

I'd carry that .380 too... well actually I'd carry my 642, but same idea.

Lead Moderator
    Carry if you can do it with out effecting your riding is always a good idea. You never know what you are going to run up against on the roads these days.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Thanks for the input. I would not get any advice from Bicycling magazine about this. The kel tec is about the only thing i can conceal being on a road bike with spandex like apparel. Timbucktoo has good pouches that can be attached the the front harness straps. I am also interested in an exit strategy because it is hard to imagine continuing to ride after a confrontation. Oh you have a gun I'll just drive away and hit you at 55 mph with my truck. Maybe at that point I should find a house to wait it out a while (even though I have a cell phone I could ask to use a phone). Though It would be a bit rude to impose on someone (out of the blue) while carrying.
    -Diplomacy: The art of saying nice dogie until you can find a rock.
    -The truth is a three edged sword.
    -Your brain is your primary weapon everything else is just a tool.
    -When the only tool you have is a hammer then everything starts to look like a nail.

Member Array Invisible Swordsman's Avatar
    I always carry while riding, unless I know I'm going to have to be in some of the forbidden zones, and those are usually group rides so the danger is somewhat less. I know it's not ideal, but carrying in a handlebar bag seems to work best for me.

Mark

Cycling has become my least dreaded way of exercising, so I'm trying to do it often. I tried carrying my S&W 642 IWB, but it wasn't very comfortable after a few miles. I dug out my Anderson Enterprises fanny pack and gave it a try. It's the best solution I've found so far, and allows me to carry my full size Glock 22. 31 rounds of .40 S&W will hopefully get me through anything I run into while cycling.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
    --GEORGE ORWELL

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    I hope the PDA pouch is on the front of your camel back. I'd definitely have it VERY accessible. Wild animals might concern me just as much as BGs.

No offense to any Pitt Bull owners/lovers. If one of those dogs ever come at me, he'll be DRT with a capital D. I'll take the misdemeanor for firing in city limits.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Membership Revoked Array HappyGunner's Avatar

Wink You have to expect and attack

I used to ride a motorcycle and many times I had people give me problems this was many years ago and we did not have the CCW like today.

I just took my chances that I could ride my way out of harms way. This was very stupid I now feel.

Today even if I were riding anything I would be armed around this crime infected cowtown.

I would veto the pepper spray and think about a small baton http://www.copquest.com/21-1000.htm

If I were not wanting to carry a firearm "Myself I would sure carry a firearm".

If you think you'r safer on the back roads you'r making a BIG mistake.

Those quiet out of the way country roads are ideal places for the less scrupulos to do their drinking, smoking or wahtever and good places to conduct all sorts of business. I would carry and as others have said keep it easily available. I recently broke down just off a major highway but in the country. While waiting for tow, pickup with dri nkers in came by hurling insults. They did not stop (that time) but made glad to be carrying.

Liguor + Stupidity + Seeming(Anonymity, lack of observation) = Dangerous and reckless acts of agression
    ----------------------------------------------
    Bob McDuffee, co-host DogWatch Social Club Podcast
    Thoughtful Conversation, Considered Opinion and a Touch of Insanity
    "He who goes about unarmed in paradise, had better be sure that is where he is!" James Thurber

Arm yourself with as big a weapon as you feel comfortable carrying...the peace of mind you'll experience is worth the effort.
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

Links