New Jersey

New Jersey

This is a discussion on New Jersey within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ugh... well I accpted a job offer that pays super well. A friend of my stepmom is a regional manager for a company contracted thru ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Jersey

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

New Jersey

Ugh... well I accpted a job offer that pays super well. A friend of my stepmom is a regional manager for a company contracted thru the defense department. The company is private, and is on private land so carry won't be an issue legaly as it's not on federal property.

The problem is I have to go to New Jersey for 4 weeks for training I know I can't carry there, and I plan to have other self defense items on hand (OC spray, pocket knife etc...) If I am staying in a hotel during this time can I legally have my firearm loaded with me at least in the room? I know I can't have hollow points, and will most likely use regular rounds... would the hotel be a "residence"? Or am I treading on thin ice here? What about a SD situation if someone breaks into the room, what can I and can't I do?

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    ...The problem is I have to go to New Jersey for 4 weeks for training I know I can't carry there, and I plan to have other self defense items on hand (OC spray, pocket knife etc...) If I am staying in a hotel during this time can I legally have my firearm loaded with me at least in the room? I know I can't have hollow points, and will most likely use regular rounds... would the hotel be a "residence"? Or am I treading on thin ice here? What about a SD situation if someone breaks into the room, what can I and can't I do?

Thoughts?
    You also can't have magazines which hold > 10 rnds.

As for the gun in the hotel room: in Colo you would be OK but NJ ...you better make sure.
    Last edited by KenInColo; December 6th, 2008 at 02:28 AM. Reason: punctuation
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

I'm not a lawyer, and I didn't sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but since New Jersey is your destination I seriously doubt that the Firearm Owner's Protection Act would apply to you.

As far as I know the magazince capacity limit in New Jersey is fifteen, but since the gun is illegal, that's a moot point. Also, for carrying a weapon, hollowpoints are forbidden. The law allows a homeowner to use hollowpoints in the home, if the weapon is legal.

In your case, since the weapon is most likely illegal the magazines and ammunition are a moot point. From what I know, each hollowpoint bullet carries a year in jail. Let's see, fifteen round magazine, and one in the pipe. Heck, for that they will probably throw out the illegal weapons charge, but make you do the full bit on the ammo.

Take it for what it's worth. I'm not a lawyer, don't play one on TV, and I'm only going by articles I've read from well respected people in the gun world that do know what they are doing. When I go to NJ I carry a 1911 with hardball, and I'm legal under LEOSA.

Biker

There was a thread about a man whose flight was cancelled because of weather at his change over in Newark,NJ. His TSA packed handgun was legal from starting point to destination and he would not have normally "touched" the baggage at the transfer point. However, with the cancelled flight the bag was sent to his emergency hotel room. The room came with cable, internet connection, and New Jersey's Finest who put him in a high risk prison for 4 delightful days.

A lawsuit is currently being brought but my understanding is that he was treated very poorly in the prison. Remember until recently it was not legal to serve eggs over easy in NJ.

Call the authorities to be sure, but I am sure you will be completely unarmed.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    How about non-lethal self defense? Could I bring a taser, OC spray, pocket knife, mag light, pointed stick?

Quote Originally Posted by SCfromNY View Post
    There was a thread about a man whose flight was cancelled because of weather at his change over in Newark,NJ. His TSA packed handgun was legal from starting point to destination and he would not have normally "touched" the baggage at the transfer point. However, with the cancelled flight the bag was sent to his emergency hotel room. The room came with cable, internet connection, and New Jersey's Finest who put him in a high risk prison for 4 delightful days.

A lawsuit is currently being brought but my understanding is that he was treated very poorly in the prison. Remember until recently it was not legal to serve eggs over easy in NJ.
    Here's the rundown on that situation Lawsuit

For Pro2A, I think you're out of luck, but it's not as bad as I first thought reading your post - I thought you were going to say the job was in NJ and entailed moving there!
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

No taser, they are illegal in NJ. Pepper spray (NOT MACE) is ok as long as the container holds less than 3/4 of an ounce. A pocket knife is OK, but the blade must be 3" or less. Make sure it is a non-tactical looking folder, though. A straight knife will be confiscated in most places, even though it is legal. You are still running the risk of having the folder knife taken for no reason, but you won't be charged with a crime. If anyone asks, just make sure you explain the knife is for "utility purposes" or something, and not defense. If the knife is on a multi-tool, even better. No brass knuckles, batons, or any of that stuff. Flashlight is ok.

The rule of thumb would be "nothing that looks like it is for defense." If you can successfully convince a cop that you aren't carrying the item in question for protection, you'll be OK.
    Last edited by nasal; January 15th, 2009 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Sentence structure, clarity.

VIP Member
    As far as I know there is nothing illegal about carrying change in your pocket in NJ. You might want to consider carrying a roll of pennies in your pocket as well, to go along with the pepper spray. You can use them for whatever purpose you choose.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    This is starting to sound like the UK...
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Ugh... well I accpted a job offer that pays super well. A friend of my stepmom is a regional manager for a company contracted thru the defense department. The company is private, and is on private land so carry won't be an issue legaly as it's not on federal property.

The problem is I have to go to New Jersey for 4 weeks for training I know I can't carry there, and I plan to have other self defense items on hand (OC spray, pocket knife etc...) If I am staying in a hotel during this time can I legally have my firearm loaded with me at least in the room? I know I can't have hollow points, and will most likely use regular rounds... would the hotel be a "residence"? Or am I treading on thin ice here? What about a SD situation if someone breaks into the room, what can I and can't I do?

Thoughts?
    You can not legally carry your firearm with a PA license in New Jersey. If you get caught with it even in your hotel room you will be arrested.
    One more step and it's on!

I will not even drive through that stupid state, or Illinois, I always route myself around all of the the commie states when I travel. It takes me longer but I get to see new places and always feel quite safe.

back on topic

Would be interested to hear your thoughts on this similar discussion:

Can I keep a handgun at my rental property in New Jersey? - New Jersey - Stories From The States - OpenCarry.org - Discussion Forum

1. is a hotel room considered your residence or premises? you theoretically rent it

2. if it is legal to have it there, would FOPA apply because both ends of the trip would be legal?

VIP Member
    How about a long gun ?. Shotgun, could He have that with Him in hotel room.

Hollow Point ammo.

Is it ok to drive thru the State of NJ with hollow points in original box ?.

You can have hollowpoint ammo in your car in NJ as long as you follow the rules.

New Jersey State Police - Transporting a Firearm Into / Through the State of New Jersey

Basically it needs to be stored separately from your firearms, and if you do not have a trunk it sounds like it must be locked in a box, and out of reach.

VIP Member
    Nasal Thank You.

You can have hollowpoint ammo in your car in NJ as long as you follow the rules.

New Jersey State Police - Transporting a Firearm Into / Through the State of New Jersey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links