What some NFL Players Have to Say about Carrying

This is a discussion on What some NFL Players Have to Say about Carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Interesting to Read. Thought some of you may find informative. Some Good and bad. NFL players share thoughts on guns - NFL - Yahoo! Sports...

Thread: What some NFL Players Have to Say about Carrying

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar

Interesting to Read. Thought some of you may find informative. Some Good and bad.

NFL players share thoughts on guns - NFL - Yahoo! Sports
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

Maybe they should make it mandatory for them to spend time on D/C.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Senior Moderator
    Having money and fame doesn't seem to make them any smarter than the rest of us.
    There appears to be the same knowledge, misconceptions, fear, and appreciation for guns as in the rest of society. There was a wide variation on both the need and purpose of a sidearm.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Having money and fame doesn't seem to make them any smarter than the rest of us.
    There appears to be the same knowledge, misconceptions, fear, and appreciation for guns as in the rest of society. There was a wide variation on both the need and purpose of a sidearm.
    I was going to say that!
    I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate.

I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.

So with the kind of cash Plaxico has available.

Why not hire two body guards, who CAN carry. To watch over you, and NOT drink - while you party and have a good time. That way, you are still protected from all your adoring fans, and you can get home without a DWI, and a felony unlawful carry charge (not to mention a VERY sore leg)?
    Trying to leave as large a carbon footprint as possible.
    Shivering in the "heat"
    Innocent as doves, wise as serpents, armed like wolves.

My .02 here is the best quote.

LB Keith Brooking: “It’s eye-opening, there’s no doubt about it. I own a lot of guns, legally, and safety is the No. 1 key. My son is 2 1/2 years old. That’s obviously one of the first things I’ll teach him. It’s very important. It’s something you want to teach at a very early age if he’s going to handle guns like I have my whole life.”

Here in NYC you can hire professional security guys (retired NYPD oficers) who can carry legally for about $75.00 per hour. They could shadow or be on side what ever the client wants.

2 guys @ $75.00 p/h= $150.00
    8hrs of booze and broads=$1400.00
    Not getting shot in leg, Not hiring a attorney, Not going to jail=PRICELESS!!!

VIP Member
    I think many professional athletes, like most sheeple, think, "It can't happen to me". Not only talking violence against them, but things like DUI's, speeding/driving recklessly and having accidents, home fires. All the things that happen to "ordinary" people. It is just that with them being so high profile we hear about it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

HitchKing:

Yeppers!!!
    Shivering in the "heat"

Coach Marvin Lewis should have said

"there is no way any Bengal should carry, each and every one of them has learned that part of being a player under my leadership is they are expected to become a felon. Thats why we pay so much, we expect quality role models for children across the country."
    I carry a gun for the same reason I own a smoke detector...I never, ever, plan on needing them...but if I do need them, and have them in a box...I won't be able to get to them for use fast enough.

I actually thought it was a pretty fair and balanced (and right of center) group of viewpoints.

There were two quotes that struck me

Coach Marvin Lewis (Bengals had 10 players arrested between April 2006 and June 2007): “My message is: ‘If you have to go somewhere where you feel you’ve got to carry a handgun, you don’t need to be going to that spot. Let us help you go somewhere else.’ … We had a little, let me say, dip in the thing or a blip on the radar there for a bit, but I just wanted to remind the guys to keep doing things as pros and be smart and understand don’t take your life, your career and other things at risk.”
    At first glance my knee-jerk reaction usually is: "I should be able to go any darned where I please!!!" But if I'm going somewhere where I think a gun is needed, then I'm expecting to be in a place where there's a high probably that I will be subjected to a threat that puts me in fear of my life or grave injury. Why as an intelligent guy would I do that, unless it was a special case such as my mom living on a bad side of town or something like that.

But just because the coach only travels to places where he feels safe, doesn't mean he is safe.

Director of Security Ryan Reichert: “We discourage guys from having guns, but if they choose to own guns, handguns, we just make sure they get the proper training, that they’re licensed so they’re carrying it legally. We also have (Houston police) officers come in and talk to the guys about gun safety and just gun awareness. Make sure that they know that most of the time, having a gun in a situation just escalates the situation, where not having a gun might not lead to a drastic outcome.”
    I agree with the first part, but not the second. They, like we, should never stop training. But if my gun is concealed, it will not magically escalate the situation if I don't draw it, brandish it, or make reference to it in conversation. By the time the gun comes out the situation is usually too far gone for de-escalation (in my opinion, feel free to correct me).
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

I agree with you...

By the time it gets to the point a weapon is necessary - face-to-face talking won't change it.
    Shivering in the "heat"

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links