Drawing from heavy cover

This is a discussion on Drawing from heavy cover within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How many of you out there practice at home (unloaded) from your winter coat and or sweaters sweatshirts or fleeces. I tend to dress in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drawing from heavy cover

Drawing from heavy cover

How many of you out there practice at home (unloaded) from your winter coat and or sweaters sweatshirts or fleeces. I tend to dress in layers and practice a couple of times drawing before I leave the house. So if SHTF I will have a general idea of what motion I will have to go about to get to my weapon. Just sitting here looking at the snow and dreading goign out in the cold later for a college football game and thought this would make an interesting topic.

BTW....LET'S GO MOUNTAINEERS!!!!
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

2. Remove Ads

Ummmmm... pocket holster.

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    I do dry practice 3 or 4 times a week for about 20 min each time. This includes 1 and 2 hand remediations and drawing form whatever cover is seasonally appropriate.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Well, now that mention it...

I have been practicing from different carry configurations, and plan on continuing to practice, and now from different clothing styles - good idea.

However, I hope you are taking your "friend" to the game
    Trying to leave as large a carbon footprint as possible.
    Shivering in the "heat"
    Innocent as doves, wise as serpents, armed like wolves.

I practice from my sandals, shorts, and T-shirt...
    Sometimes I practice from my flip-flops, longer shorts and T-shirt/with cover shirt......either way, it's about the same. I do practice though.

I find I also practice both my strong side (3:30 - 4:00) and SOB (5:00 - 5:30)...my 5:00 - 5:30 IWB/SOB, palm out holster is so comfortable and pretty much as easy a draw as the strong side...OMO

Stay armed...practice, whatever, but practice...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckledrager View Post
    I do dry practice 3 or 4 times a week for about 20 min each time. This includes 1 and 2 hand remediations and drawing form whatever cover is seasonally appropriate.
    If I dry practice, should I load up some dummy rounds with no powder or primer to get the weight right on the practice, or is that not important?
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    I practice draws from my duty rig, my IWB and OWB "off-duty" holsters, my pocket carry keltec, and from laying in bed drawing from paddle holster on night stand and from pistol safe on the floor

I believe in trying out as many situations as possible, might as well be prepared

its a good idea to practice drawing if you just cover with a t-shirt, then if you have a tuckable holster, then if you have a jacket over the shirt/sweater, its always intersting to find where you snag on something and correct any issues
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cl00bie View Post
    If I dry practice, should I load up some dummy rounds with no powder or primer to get the weight right on the practice, or is that not important?
    I use dummy rounds for dry practice as well as mixed with live ammo on the range. Here is the link for the ones that I have had the best luck with. The weight has nothing to do with it. You will need the dummies so that the slide will not lock open on an empty mag during manipulations.

Law Enforcement Targets, Inc. - Dummy Rounds
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Senior Member Array Hydrashok Glock's Avatar
    Practice every day. IWB from tees to jackets.
    The choices you make today define you of who you are tommorow

When you see the light at the end of the tunnel your life is not over..... it is just about to begin

COPS Protective Services

Administrator
    Well, if you're going out with heavy layered winter clothing and a longish winter coat...and you'll not need to remove that coat - then you can always switch over to a good shoulder holster for easier access to your concealed firearm.

On really sub-zero days I sometimes switch over to an Alessi shoulder rig with my firearm positioned under the support side armpit and that way all I need to do is reach in and grab it.
    It's one way to gain one handed quick access to your carry firearm while still allowing you to block possible aggressive actions by a potential threat with your support side arm.

Something that will not work for everybody but, you should be aware of it as a possible alternative to fully unzipping & unbuttoning and moving heavy garments completely out of the way.

jwhite75,
    I practice a couple of times before I go out but here in Bulls country the weather doesn't get to gold so my cover garments don't change a whole lot. good idea though I never thought about if I did that or not

GOOOOO BULLS
    In Hoc Signo Vinces

What are you using as a que to draw? Is it sound, movement or just when you are ready?

Try starting at the surrender position and have someone walk towards you. This does several things like-

Teaches you to respond to movment

Shows you that you will focus on the person first and your weapons second

That things change when someone is coming at you and you will likely experience some fouled draws

The easiest way to mimic this and the way I do it in pistol and knife courses is to have someone stand about 7 yards from you. As they start walking towards you, draw. As you get better have them walk faster and faster until they are charging you. Then add a training knife or baton. This is best done with a Blue Gun or an air soft and the required safety equipment. You can also change it up by sitting in your car, or just standing in the open door of your car. You will see that your body movement to the side or up and down will may have a major effect on the mechanics of your draw. When someone is charging you your mind is beating you over the head to get your hands in front of you. This will become even more evident as they produce weapons. You can have your training partner change out weapon. If they are charging you and you don't see a weapon, do you necessarily want draw your gun?

Be honest with yourself, you may need much more practice or even a change of holster or carry position.

I like having a base concealment garment that I wear all year long. For me it is a t-shirt over an Under Armor t-shirt. No matter what I wear over that if I concentrate on effectively clearing the base garment I know I will clear the others.

Practice every day. I do NOT move the location of the gun at all though.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Practice every day. I do NOT move the location of the gun at all though.
    That is helpful, good to have it up against a belt loop or something to ensure it is always in the same place.

To get a signal to draw I use the TV, when it changes to the next scene I draw, and decide to push safety off or snap the trigger so as to not get into a habit of firing every time it comes out of the holster.
    I have a double stack composite 1911 to keep the feel of it I have the mag loaded none in the barrel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links