Carrying in Restaurants that serve alcohol

This is a discussion on Carrying in Restaurants that serve alcohol within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone know where in the Colorado laws it says that you cannot carry in any restaurant that serves alcohol ? Any help is greatly ...

Thread: Carrying in Restaurants that serve alcohol

Carrying in Restaurants that serve alcohol

Does anyone know where in the Colorado laws it says that you cannot carry in any restaurant that serves alcohol ? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    "Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay as soft as we are now. There won't
    be any AMERICA left because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our
    women and breed a hardier race!"
    -Lt. Gen. Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Ovrmydeadbdy View Post
    Does anyone know where in the Colorado laws it says that you cannot carry in any restaurant that serves alcohol ? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    You can...

It doesn't say that in Colorado law.

Senior Moderator
    It doesn't say that in Colorado law

If it dosent say that you cant, then it should be OK.

Most states specifically address the issue.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

If it dosent say that you cant, then it should be OK.

Most states specifically address the issue.
    It is OK. I've been doing it forever as many of the restaurants the wife and I frequent do serve alcohol. I of course don't drink while carrying a firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    It is OK. I've been doing it forever as many of the restaurants the wife and I frequent do serve alcohol. I of course don't drink while carrying a firearm.
    same here......concealed
    Freemason 1988
    Colt 1911
    Browning
    Springfield
    North American Arms
    N.R.A.

VIP Member

When in doubt.......

CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

thnks for the input. I have a copy of the CO gun laws, and I cannot always interpret the laws correctly. it helps to get a more experienced input.
    "Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay as soft as we are now. There won't
    be any AMERICA left because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our
    women and breed a hardier race!"
    -Lt. Gen. Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    This from the Colorado Bureau of Investigation: Colorado Bureau of Investigation

18-12-214. Authority granted by permit - carrying restrictions.
    (1) (a) A permit to carry a concealed handgun authorizes the permittee to carry a concealed handgun in all areas of the state, except as specifically limited in this section. A permit does not authorize the permittee to use a handgun in a manner that would violate a provision of state law. A local government does not have authority to adopt or enforce an ordinance or resolution that would conflict with any provision of this part 2.

(b) A peace officer may temporarily disarm a permittee, incident to a lawful stop of the permittee. The peace officer shall return the handgun to the permittee prior to discharging the permittee from the scene.

(2) A permit issued pursuant to this part 2 does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun into a place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law.

(3) A permit issued pursuant to this part 2 does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun onto the real property, or into any improvements erected thereon, of a public elementary, middle, junior high, or high school; except that:

(a) A permittee may have a handgun on the real property of the public school so long as the handgun remains in his or her vehicle and, if the permittee is not in the vehicle, the handgun is in a compartment within the vehicle and the vehicle is locked.

(b) A permittee who is employed or retained by contract by a school district as a school security officer may carry a concealed handgun onto the real property, or into any improvement erected thereon, of a public elementary, middle, junior high, or high school while the permittee is on duty.

(c) A permittee may carry a concealed handgun on undeveloped real property owned by a school district that is used for hunting or other shooting sports.

(4) A permit issued pursuant to this part 2 does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun into a public building at which:

(a) Security personnel and electronic weapons screening devices are permanently in place at each entrance to the building;

(b) Security personnel electronically screen each person who enters the building to determine whether the person is carrying a weapon of any kind; and

(c) Security personnel require each person who is carrying a weapon of any kind to leave the weapon in possession of security personnel while the person is in the building.

(5) Nothing in this part 2 shall be construed to limit, restrict, or prohibit in any manner the existing rights of a private property owner, private tenant, private employer, or private business entity.

(6) The provisions of this section apply to temporary emergency permits issued pursuant to section 18-12-209.

Source: L. 2003: Entire part added, p. 647, 1, effective May 17.

AND

Colorado Bureau of Investigation

29-11.7-104. Regulation - carrying - posting.
    A local government may enact an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area within the local government's jurisdiction. If a local government enacts an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area, the local government shall post signs at the public entrances to the building or specific area informing persons that the open carrying of firearms is prohibited in the building or specific area.

Source: L. 2003: Entire article added, p. 653, 2, effective March 18.

Looks to me like you can carry in a bar unless its posted otherwise. Hope this helps.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Ovrmydeadbdy View Post
    thnks for the input. I have a copy of the CO gun laws, and I cannot always interpret the laws correctly. it helps to get a more experienced input.
    What I like to do is open the statute(s) and then use the find feature of my browser to find key words that are the subject of the question. In this case words like prohibit; alcohol; restaraunt; etc... That way I can zero in on the section. This is of course in addition to periodically reading the relevant statutes from top to bottom so that I have a good idea of what is in there and in which statute.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Links