No one lets me carry

This is a discussion on No one lets me carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I've been hired to work in Salt Lake City for the FAA as an Air Traffic Controller....Definitely no carrying in that Ft. Knox style ...

Thread: No one lets me carry

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar

No one lets me carry

Well, I've been hired to work in Salt Lake City for the FAA as an Air Traffic Controller....Definitely no carrying in that Ft. Knox style compound. Don't start there for 2 months, so needed something temporary. Temp agency doesn't allow employees to carry either. I'm tempted to run it past the guy I'm working for,though. Don't know what he'll say, but I guess it couldn't be worse than no. It's in a flooring store, so there's hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of merchandise between the showroom and the 4 warehouses. Not likely that anyone could walk out of the showroom with anything, I mean carpet/linoleum rolls weigh several hundred pounds. I don't know if they keep a cash register on site, or work strictly with checks/credit cards. May also have issues with "felons" working in the same place.

I know I won't even be able to car carry to work in SLC, but I'd really like to have my gun with me at the floor place.

Suggestions???
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

2. Remove Ads

Concealed is concealed. I don't know the laws in your state, but here, a no guns sign means a trespassing charge is you're outed and still refuse to leave when asked.
    I won't work for someone who doesn't respect my right to carry.
    Maybe get a small "always" gun. Or smartcarry.
    On occasion, I've been offered a job where carry was strictly against the rules. Sure would've been nice to have those paychecks, but then a little voice reminds me that my daughter and wife expect me home at night.
    "Water can flow, or it can crash. Be like water, my friend."-Bruce Lee

My Blog

"Luck, often enough, will save a man if his courage does hold."

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    I don't ask. It's up to them to bring it up to me if they have a problem with it. If they don't mention it then I just carry like usual.
    For God, Family and Country!

It's not always that simple. Consider my situation.

I have to weigh the odds of getting caught against the odds of needing it, and I'm a numbers man. I think the former slightly exceeds the latter.

There are some things I fear worse than death, and one of them is being a convicted felon who will never, ever work in his field again for doing absolutely nothing.

If nothing else I took the job knowing the rules, and I value my job and my ethics at that job more than I value my ability to arm myself there or even my own life.

I work for the public. I work for you. You pay me with your tax dollars and you have told me in a loud and thunderous voice I am not to possess a firearm on the job. I don't like it at all, but I will abide by our deal in the interest of integrity.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    My responce was considering no notification of any "no carry" rules or policies.
    If you "know" yours has these rules then that's different from what I meant in my post. In mine the situation is I "don't" know and I'm not going to be the one to bring it up.

I do feel that for those companies who have a no carry policy - that they should have armed security AND provide a safe "lock box" for my weapon upon entry so I at least don't go unprotected in parking lot or trip home.
    For God, Family and Country!

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    oO( Army Cop knows the old adage " its easyer to beg forgivness than permission) lol

For me, there is a huge difference between not being able to carry due to the law vs an employer's policy.

I cannot carry at work (or to and from for that matter ) because I work on a military installation, and it is prohibited by law.

If I worked for, say John Doe Electronics, and their company policy was no guns, I would carry because (in Florida) it is not against the law, only against company policy.
    If my employer in the second example catches me (which he shouldn't if it's properly concealed), I only face being fired (and a trespass charge if I refuse to leave, which I wouldn't).

A "No Weapons Allowed" sign means different things in different states, check your own state law as part your decision making process.
    Good luck.
    Sarhog
    NRA Life Member
    Northwest Florida Defensive Pistol Shooters Member
    Sarhog's gallery

VIP Member
    Congrats on your new job. I was on top of the Cab at SLC while it was under constuction. I wasn't working on the building but it was a convenient place to hold the training I was doing there. So I received the grand tour.

Anyway, floor store is probably ok because they really can only fire you and ask you to leave their property for carrying against their policy. No criminal problem there as it's a store policy. As you know carrying in a federal facility is a different story and there will be federal criminal charges associated with that.

So you have to weigh the risks and decide what you will do.

My company prohibits carrying on company property unless authorized. The funny thing is that there is nothing that tells me how it is authorized or who does the authorization.

-Scott-

Assistant Administrator
    In a nutshell - sarhog summed up much.

If it is not specifically unlawful for this temp job - well - nudge-nudge - need we say more!!

The SLC deal - no question on that one - unfortunate no-no.

Methods - well best you can come up with - belly-band, ankle, pocket, SmartCarry - whatever fits in with your dress options.

Good news on the ATC job
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Definitely, as an ATC, in this day and age, I would heve some "alternatives" on-person. SD is a philosophy, not a particular skill-set, or mechanical means.
    http://www.rickhindererknives.com/
    http://www.shivworks.com/stylus.asp
    http://www.shivworks.com/toppopper.asp
    http://www.totalprotectioninteractive.com/forum/

With you temp position, another +1 with sarhog.
    Edit: Hmmm...couldn't direct link to the Hinderer batons, but click on the modular baton selection, and you'll see it. He's now offering an Al version, on EDC Knives
    http://www.edcknives.com/vcom/index....23b75fbeac6d5d

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by sarhog
    For me, there is a huge difference between not being able to carry due to the law vs an employer's policy.

I cannot carry at work (or to and from for that matter ) because I work on a military installation, and it is prohibited by law.

If I worked for, say John Doe Electronics, and their company policy was no guns, I would carry because (in Florida) it is not against the law, only against company policy.
    If my employer in the second example catches me (which he shouldn't if it's properly concealed), I only face being fired (and a trespass charge if I refuse to leave, which I wouldn't).

A "No Weapons Allowed" sign means different things in different states, check your own state law as part your decision making process.
    Good luck.
    Well said! I'm in Florida too (Miami) and this is exactly why whenever I go to the mall I carry. I just breeze right past all those signs about concealed carry being forbidden. In Florida, FIRST....You have to be detected. Then they ask you to leave. If you return and are AGAIN detected, you may be subject to arrest for trespass after warning (a misdemeanor). I may not violate state law, but I will violate company policy at will.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

XD9
    I have 2 jobs. One states specifically that I can't carry. Not in my car, not in the parking garage, nothing. But... there is nothing to stop me. (Not a federal job, not a secured building) So I carry. S&W 642 in a pocket holster in my coat pocket. My job requires that I go to some rough parts of town where stores are located and I know how much cash goes through the stores on a daily basis and I refuse to get caught without someway to defend myself.

(Keep in mind, if a store gets robbed while I am there and I am not threatened, more power to them. They can have the money. I'm not a hero.)

My second job is at a restaurant. They have no policy that I can find and the same gun is well hidden in the front left pocket with an apron over it. Pretty slick. I just make sure that nothing in my casual conversation slips out that may make someone wonder. No range talk, no gun talk, etc.
    There are 2 sounds in the world that strike more fear than any others. A click when you should hear a bang and a bang when you should hear a click.

I understand certain jobs cannot allow weapons on the job site. I have spent 20 years with the DOP and any weapon inside the facility would be a great security risk.
    That being said employees can seek permission to have a weapon left in their vehicle as long as it is secured in a lock box. Which is something I take advange of. Due to work schedules I sometimes travel late at night on rural roads to and from work and I also carry then.
    The reality is I feel somewhat safer in the facility, there I know what I am dealing with. On the outside you have no idea.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Responsible gun carry requires "us" to be aware of the laws whenever, whereever we carry, to the best of our ability. I believe that's a standard we place upon ourselves so we can righteously say that we're law abiding citizens anxious to show others the true nature of those who carry. I will admit the "mall" carry issue is a tought one and even as a preacher I struggle with how far we're to go but I'd also caution anyone who thinks about carrying at work where it might be against the rules to seriously consider what it might be like if they get fired for it. Getting fired can cost a man a lot of money and set him back possibly for years. Of course, getting assaulted and killed will set you back even further

I appreciated one reply that indicated you need to weight it out considering the probability of getting attacked at work versus getting caught and possibly getting fired.

I'm a strong proponet of critical risk assessment which requires that the response be commensurate with a realistic assessment of risk. For example, we carry how many spares in our trunk? Why? Know anyone who carry's 4? Probably not, why? The risk of all 4 being flat at once is too slight to warrant the cost and inconvenience of carrying 4 spares. I think it's wise to apply this CRA (critical risk assessment) in many parts of our lives and then respond to that assessment by taking measures commensurate with risk. So, can a shooting or assault by a BG take place anytime, anyplace? Yes, but what are the odds of getting hit by lightning? So, if I'm headed into St. Louis, I'm carrying big, with a knife and with heightened senses. If I'm heading to work down a two lane blacktop in the countryside, it's all together different.

And then there's the mall Strange place those malls are! Actually parking lots bother me more!

Anyway, congrats on the job and good luck with all the decisions...

Gideon

Links