Telling LEO that you're carrying when stopped

This is a discussion on Telling LEO that you're carrying when stopped within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in Florida and we do not have to tell an LEO that we are carrying when stopped for some reason. I plan to ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Telling LEO that you're carrying when stopped

Telling LEO that you're carrying when stopped

I live in Florida and we do not have to tell an LEO that we are carrying when stopped for some reason. I plan to travel in other states on a trip this summer and all of those states honor my CCW. My question is this: There are some states that you DO have to alert the LEO when stopped. Is there any place that has this information, IE; which states you have to tell you're carrying?

Thanks . . .
    "We have met the enemy, and it is us." Pogo Possum

2. Remove Ads

My policy is to always inform. That way I'm never out of compliance with a law that requires it. This seems so "common sense" that I have to wonder why so many seem to concern themselves with the question.

Lead Moderator
    I would suggest researching on www.handgunlawus for the states you will be traveling through to get all the info for each state. Beside informing of carry other rules for carry may apply. You need to know this before entering the state.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I with wmhawth. If you are carrying, show your permit with your license and tell him/her you are armed and where you are carrying. If the officer finds out on his/her own, you can bet that the encounter will not go in your favor.

I would not say, "I have a gun." or anything like that. My suggestion is that with your hands on the steering wheel you say, "Officer I have a carry permit and I am carrying, how would you like me to proceed?" This is what I teach in my ccw classes. Here in WV we do not have to inform the officer, but in OH we do. Since I live near the border and WV and OH accept each others permits I feel it is best to inform the officer. When you do inform the officer it has been my experience that the officer relaxes a little because he knows you have had a background check.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    I'm from Florida too.
    I travel a lot.
    It'd getting crazy about who you do or don't notify.
    So, I always hand over my CCW when I'm stopped no matter what State I'm in.

Never had a LEO go nuts or even really blink.
    I was also told by LEO's in a couple of States they always assume Florida cars have guns in them.

I tell in florida and also GO GATORS

I get warnings not tickets.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceShooter View Post
    I'm from Florida too.
    I travel a lot.
    It'd getting crazy about who you do or don't notify.
    So, I always hand over my CCW when I'm stopped no matter what State I'm in.

Never had a LEO go nuts or even really blink.
    I was also told by LEO's in a couple of States they always assume Florida cars have guns in them.

I tell in florida and also GO GATORS

I get warnings not tickets.

AFS
    Another Florida Gator here...

I always inform...politely, not, "Hi, I gotta' gun, why did ya' all stop me."
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joel8x View Post
    I with wmhawth. If you are carrying, show your permit with your license and tell him/her you are armed and where you are carrying. If the officer finds out on his/her own, you can bet that the encounter will not go in your favor.
    Trouble is, not all LEO's are okay with armed citizens. And telling one of them, is a near certainty it won't go well (check JD's post on a poorly handled encounter for but one example). So informing when not required may not be desirable.

That said, Michigan requires notification. I was stopped last week, smiled and said my rehearsed line "Good evening. Michigan law requires that I notify you I am carrying a concealed pistol" (without sounding rehearsed). The officer asked where it was. Then requested my drivers lic. and concealed pistol lic. (didn't ask for vehicle registration or insurance form as is standard). Thanked me for informing him of the weapon (even though I am required to). Was very polite, professional, and wrote my ticket giving me a large break on the speed.

Oldie, I'd suggest State websites for the States you plan to visit as a starting point. Getting official word from the horses mouth where you can is the best policy. And if in doubt at all, inform!
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

To answer your question, for South Carolina, when a LEO asks for your identification, you have to disclose that you have a concealed weapons permit, and provide your permit.
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I only travel through states that honor my Utah permit. If I dont know the law to notify in any particular state and I was stopped by a LEO, I would notify of my permit and ask for instructions. I havent been pulled over in years.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    I hand them my DL & CHL together. Usually gets a "thanks for letting me know...". It's also required in Texas, although I would inform if not required.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogman View Post
    I would not say, "I have a gun." or anything like that. My suggestion is that with your hands on the steering wheel you say, "Officer I have a carry permit and I am carrying, how would you like me to proceed?" This is what I teach in my ccw classes. Here in WV we do not have to inform the officer, but in OH we do. Since I live near the border and WV and OH accept each others permits I feel it is best to inform the officer. When you do inform the officer it has been my experience that the officer relaxes a little because he knows you have had a background check.
    Not required (but 'suggested') in AZ. I don't think I would volunteer that info if it was just a routine traffic stop. But if I were pulled over and was asked to step out of the vehicle, I would proceed as Frogman stated.

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate the info. I have decided, like bluelineman, that when I hand over my DL to also include my CCW, and mention that I am carrying. That seems the best way, regardless of what state I'm in, Florida excepted of course, since I know that I don't have to tell them.
    Again, THANKS!
    "We have met the enemy, and it is us." Pogo Possum

In MN like FL, you don't need to tell. So unless they will see it, I don't tell.

If they will see it or your have to get out of the car then I would hand them the permit. Don't say, "I have a gun... and a permit!" but "I have a permit to carry"... (while handing him the permit) and ask them "My pistol is on my right hip at 3 o'clock... how do you want to proceed?"

I have never needed too so I plan on not needing too.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bluelineman View Post
    I hand them my DL & CHL together. Usually gets a "thanks for letting me know...". It's also required in Texas, although I would inform if not required.
    +1. I would always inform, but have never been stopped...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links