Must Inform Officer in Arkansas (New Law)

This is a discussion on Must Inform Officer in Arkansas (New Law) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have received an Email from the contact at the Arkansas State Police. They confirmed what I heard that Arkansas changed their law and that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Must Inform Officer in Arkansas (New Law)

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar

Must Inform Officer in Arkansas (New Law)

I have received an Email from the contact at the Arkansas State Police. They confirmed what I heard that Arkansas changed their law and that you now must inform an Officer if approached on any official business (Vehicle Stop etc) This is a new law in Arkansas and Handgunlaw.us will be updated in the next 24 hours to reflect this change in Arkansas Law.
    UPDATE this link is the latest info from Gary on the subject
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...tml#post935832
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

2. Remove Ads

Thanks for the update...

I know that AR is one place I have on my must visit list.

Stay armed...know the gun laws of any state you visit...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    Kinda makes me think it may be a good idea to adopt a personal policy of always informing an officer when they stop you. We might not be aware of a recent law in a state we are visiting or passing through that requires it.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

VIP Member
    Is this a notify when armed situation, or must notify if unarmed but a license holder--as in one of the Carolinas if I recall correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Thanks for the update...

I know that AR is one place I have on my must visit list.

Stay armed...know the gun laws of any state you visit...stay safe!
    Look me up and we'll go to the range.
    That is good to know, but I've always done it anyway. It's one of those things that was pretty much suggested over and over again in my CC class. The CHL and driver's license should be considered as one and inseparable.

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar

Just when Armed

You only have to inform the officer if Armed. If you are not armed you don't have to tell them you have a permit/license to carry. No state has a law that states you have to tell them you just have a permit. If you don't have the firearm you don't have to tell them anything.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slider View Post
    You only have to inform the officer if Armed. If you are not armed you don't have to tell them you have a permit/license to carry. No state has a law that states you have to tell them you just have a permit. If you don't have the firearm you don't have to tell them anything.
    True, but believe me when I say they do get rather upset. I was pulled over for driving a dealership loaner vehicle a couple of years ago. I did not even have a pistol with me. The dealership vehicle didn't have a license plate was why I got pulled over.....I handed the officer my driver's license and he went back to his cruiser. Well, when he came back to the window he asked why I didn't tell him I was a permit holder and if I had anything with me, and he was rather upset, thinking that I was willfully hiding something from him. I told him that since I wasn't carrying or had any weapons with me that I didn't think I had to. He schooled me about what I should do in future situations like that, handed me my license back, and I was on my way. True life lessons. Law enforcement for the most part are rather cool around here...be it far from me to intentionally piss them off in any way. They are the law, and they don't have psychic abilities or x-ray vision. Sometimes you've just got to try putting yourself in others shoes to get where they are coming from.

Senior Moderator
    I'm going to argue with this one.

The only law that was changed was if hunting, and carrying a concealed weapon, you must inform the AG&F officer that you are carrying. That law was amended earlier in the year to include concealed carry when bowhunting, or hunting migratory waterfowl or birds.That law specifically mentions informing an officer when asked for a lisence check.

The CHL law has not been amended to include all CHL holders when driving or on a traffic stop.

When the law gets changed, I get a registered letter from the ASP informing me of the change, as do all instructors. I have received no such letter.

In my recent dealing with the ASP, some of the clerks are pretty sketchy on the laws and have been known to put out bogus information.

As an LEO I have heard of no requirement that says you must inform on a traffic stop.

If I do get a letter informing me of such change, then I will post it here.If someone can show me this new law, I sure would like to see it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I don't know about Arkansas, but here in Ohio if a LEO has a computer in his squad, and access to LEADS or MARKS or some other state records system, if the vehicle you are driving is registered to a CCL holder, it raises a flag when he checks your plates. Further, when he checks your driver's license, it will be flagged. I think in any case, being proactive and letting the LEO know is 1) a matter of courtesy, and 2) not raising red flags in the LEO's mind.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Senior Moderator
    Here, it only comes up if the DL is run, not just the plate itself.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slider View Post
    I have received an Email from the contact at the Arkansas State Police. They confirmed what I heard that Arkansas changed their law and that you now must inform an Officer if approached on any official business (Vehicle Stop etc) This is a new law in Arkansas and Handgunlaw.us will be updated in the next 24 hours to reflect this change in Arkansas Law.
    Good to know. I would inform a LEO anyway. Thanks!
    Kahr K9
    Sig P239 9mm DAK
    Sig P229 .40 SAS GenII
    Sig P250 9mm

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Can we get a round of applause for Mr Slider...? I think your site is awesome... I've spent a good deal of time there, downloaded a mountain of your materials... and your clickable reciprocity map is just fantastic.

Handgunlaw.us is at the top of my list of firearm-related bookmarks...

"Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Hot Guns, in Kansas the issuing agency, and source of information is the Atty. Generals office. Is there an equivilant to that for Arkansas I can go to?

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I'm going to argue with this one.

The only law that was changed was if hunting, and carrying a concealed weapon, you must inform the AG&F officer that you are carrying. That law was amended earlier in the year to include concealed carry when bowhunting, or hunting migratory waterfowl or birds.That law specifically mentions informing an officer when asked for a lisence check.

The CHL law has not been amended to include all CHL holders when driving or on a traffic stop.

When the law gets changed, I get a registered letter from the ASP informing me of the change, as do all instructors. I have received no such letter.

In my recent dealing with the ASP, some of the clerks are pretty sketchy on the laws and have been known to put out bogus information.

As an LEO I have heard of no requirement that says you must inform on a traffic stop.

If I do get a letter informing me of such change, then I will post it here.If someone can show me this new law, I sure would like to see it.

Senior Moderator
    Go to the Arkansas State Police website.
    http://www.asp.state.ar.us/divisions/rs/rs_chl.html

You might notice in scrolling though the pages that there is NO mention of a requirement to inform officers during a traffic stop.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Thanks again for staying on top of this sort of info Gary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links