Pro-CCW Editorial

Pro-CCW Editorial

This is a discussion on Pro-CCW Editorial within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You just gotta love the Colorado Springs Gazette. On the one-year anniversary of the New Life Church shootings, they take the opportunity to promote CCW. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pro-CCW Editorial

You just gotta love the Colorado Springs Gazette. On the one-year anniversary of the New Life Church shootings, they take the opportunity to promote CCW.

OPINION: More than a ‘security guard’

December 8, 2008 - 7:22 PM
    An armed psychopath killed two teenagers a year ago, after he showed up at New Life Church heavily armed with two handguns, a rifle, 1,000 rounds of ammunition and a plan to shoot up the congregation of thousands.

The psycho's rampage was quickly foiled when a member of the congregation, Jeanne Assam, pulled her own handgun and stopped him. Her quick and brave actions disabled the man, leaving him to take his own life.

This week, residents of the Pike Peak region should maintain a place of sadness in their hearts for the deaths of Rachel and Stephanie Works, ages 16 and 18 respectively, who were shot in the parking lot before the killer entered the church. And we should all give solemn thanks, once again, for Jeanne Assam.

Assam has been treated respectfully by the media, but she hasn't been praised enough. In a more common-sense world, she'd have been the cover of every mainstream magazine under the banner headline "hero." Instead, Assam has been characterized thousands of times in media stories as a "security guard," and a former big city cop who performed well under pressure. This portrayal, while technically accurate, can be counterproductive.

Assam was a "security guard" only in the loosest sense the phrase. She wasn't paid. She didn't have a badge. She wasn't wearing a uniform. If she was a "security guard," so is any citizen who's licensed to carry a gun.

Assam did not credit her past work as a Minneapolis cop, or her weapons training, for her actions last year. She credited only God, who "guided me and protected me."

Assam was more an ordinary member of the congregation than she was a security guard.

She was a citizen who took the responsibility to apply for and purchase a permit to carry a handgun concealed. She did this not for financial gain or personal aggrandizement, as neither comes with spending money for a permit to hide a tool. So what was Assam's motive for carrying a gun to church? It was the selfless motive of saving lives, just because it's the right thing to do.

When remembering the tragedy of Dec. 9, 2007, remember it like this: A year ago, a private citizen with a gun saved the lives of hundreds of people a deranged gunman planned to kill. The woman, with only a small-caliber handgun and a few rounds, stopped a heavily-armed maniac. A year ago, an ordinary person put her life on the line so that others might live.

Jeanne Assam did what any level-headed, responsible citizen could do with the proper preparation and motivation. Do not remember her actions as the work of just some "security guard."

We don't need more cops and security guards to keep us safe. We need more responsible, ordinary, average citizens to take responsibility for the safety of themselves and others - as Jeanne Assam did.
    Last edited by Desk Jockey; December 9th, 2008 at 10:21 AM. Reason: corrected link

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    Good editorial!
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Good to see something different posted in the news. Sad to have the lost of 2 young lives, but the death toll could have been much higher had it not been for 1 woman and her pistol.

That was wonderful!

Amen in the truest sense of the word!!
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

VIP Member
    Well written article, too bad the anti's will never understand it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Well written article, too bad the anti's will never understand it.
    +1

Jeanne is a real hero, glad she chose to carry in church and ended up saving lives. Good article the CC community gets so little credit for it's bravery.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Very good article.
    I wonder how Assam is dealing with this one-year anniversary....
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Quote Originally Posted by gilraen View Post
    Very good article.
    I wonder how Assam is dealing with this one-year anniversary....
    Hopefully at the range.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    WOW! The Gazette printed that! I totally agree with the article, I'm just shocked they printed something positive. I seriously doubt that any of the news stations we have would put such a positive spot light on the matter.

Anyway, my hat is off to Ms. Assam.

The Gazette is very pro-2A and pro-CCW, and isn't shy about printing such things. They had a pro-"CCW on campus" piece a few days ago.

You're absolutely right about the local TV stations - they seem to be on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Wow. I am impressed.

And _very_ much agree with the sentiment in regard to she not being simply excused away for her effort, valor, and successful action as because she was a "security guard" which is how much of the press ran it at the time.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Don't forget that the night before he killed 2 people at the Youth with A Mission dorm in Arvada. That was exactly 1 mile from my house. That incident solidified my resolve to get my CCW.

DC Founder
    Finally a newspaper seems to be getting it right....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links