Defensive Carry banner

Get CCW in Georgia

7K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  mzmtg 
#1 ·
Anyone know the details on where to obtain a CCW in Georgia? Near Fort stewart prefered. I joined the ARMY and will be shipping out soon. when i get back my new home will be in georgia. Just looking on somewhere to start once i get there. Thanks in advance.

#4 ·
County Probate Court, just look it up in the phone book. The only my wife and I were asked for was a GA driver's license. If you don't have a GA DL, then make sure you have a copy of your orders to take with you. As a matter of fact, you should call the probate court and talk to them personally about your military status and make sure they know the rules. My probate court here in Camden County had no clue, they told me my wife couldn't apply b/c I was active duty (she's been a GA resident for 7 years!) so I finally just sent her in with her DL, and they never questioned it. The probate court is hit or miss, just like the DMV's. I highly recommend georgiacarry.org and georgiapacking.org, they are two great info centers. My license cost me $46 I think.

I forgot to mention....

Active duty military members are exempt from all carry location restrictions and the need for a license period according to Georgia law. It's true here it is

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-130
Exemptions from Code Sections 16-11-126 through 16-11-128

(a) Code Sections 16-11-126 through 16-11-128 shall not apply to or affect any of the following persons if such persons are employed in the offices listed below or when authorized by federal or state law, regulations, or order:

(1) Peace officers, as such term is defined in paragraph (11) of Code Section 16-1-3, and retired peace officers so long as they remain certified whether employed by the state or a political subdivision of the state or another state or a political subdivision of another state but only if such other state provides a similar privilege for the peace officers of this state;

(2) Wardens, superintendents, and keepers of correctional institutions, jails, or other institutions for the detention of persons accused or convicted of an offense;

(3) Persons in the military service of the state or of the United States;

Check out georgiapacking.org to read all the codes, but the short of is 126 - 129 are all the carry location no-no's and licensing requirements.

I carried without a license for about 6 months, but needed one to carry in FL since I live on the border. I always kept, and still keep, a copy of the GA code in my wallet. There's also an Un-Official attorney general's opinion on the website that I keep with me too.

Link:
AG opinion http://www.georgiapacking.org/ga-ag/u97-13.htm

#6 ·
Went down to the probate court with my ID card, a copy of my orders and my state DL (NM). Filled out the app, 3 minutes, gave it to the clerk along with $40. She typed up the app, sent me to the sherrif's office down the hall to be printed electronically with my right index on the app itself. A week later, it shows up in the mail. (Houston County near Macon)

#13 ·
Must be nice, my wife's took over 3 months. Camden county.
I must have caught them during a slow time....got mine in seven days in Camden county.

I think that GA has revamped some things after HB89 was passed, everyone that I know who got a CCW before took much longer than those who got one after.

#8 ·
Here in GA my first stop was the County probate with exact amounts and index finger prints - then off to the County jail for more paper work and a full set of prints - then off to the County Sheirff's office to submit everything.

Depending on how your county's offices are set up - you may have more or less stops. But mine was very helpful and polite with the exception of the prints at the county jail - but she soon warmed up once she realized I was not there to give her a hard time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.