Anybody Here From Weymouth MA.

This is a discussion on Anybody Here From Weymouth MA. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ive never heard of any thing like this before.they give him a lic. for hunting and target shooting but not for carry Firefighter appeals denial ...

Thread: Anybody Here From Weymouth MA.

Ive never heard of any thing like this before.they give him a lic. for hunting and target shooting but not for carry

Firefighter appeals denial of license to carry gun - Weymouth, MA - Weymouth News
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    MA is a "may-not-issue" state. This is similar to things I have read about NY state (outside of NYC), where an applicant must live with a hunting/target shooting permit for a few years and may eventually be allowed to graduate to a full CCW permit.

I can see a court case going all the way up the chain.

The key to the story and very likely the Chief's decision is this...

Thomas is on paid administrative leave for allegedly making an inappropriate joke and giving a sexually explicit birthday cake to a female employee earlier this year.
    MA law toward disbursement of all types and degrees/levels of weapon licensing (FFL, LTC-B, and LTC-A) as applied to residents are based on that of the Chief or 'Licensing Authority' for the town they reside in.

The MA law reads as the following;
    Chapter 140: Section 131. Licenses to carry firearms; Class A and B; conditions and restrictions

(d) Any person residing or having a place of business within the jurisdiction of the licensing authority or any law enforcement officer employed by the licensing authority or any person residing in an area of exclusive federal jurisdiction located within a city or town may submit to such licensing authority or the colonel of state police, an application for a Class A or Class B license to carry firearms, or renewal of the same, which such licensing authority or said colonel may issue if it appears that the applicant is a suitable person to be issued such license, and that the applicant has good reason to fear injury to his person or property, or for any other reason, including the carrying of firearms for use in sport or target practice only, subject to such restrictions expressed or authorized under this section...
    Source - M.G.L - Chapter 140, Section 131
    MA law has no definition toward what "suitable" is nor what makes a person as much or not, and thus such is left to the licensing authority person(s) to ascertain on an individual applicant basis.
    Plainly the Chief of his town or his agent does not feel that either he is a "suitable" person and/or that the stated reason for his request of such level/degree license on his application was not convincing enough for them, and this happens often with people.

Those who are not MS residents may learn more about the specifics of this nutty states LTC regulations via this detailed primer as provided by the Methuen, MA PD; http://www.ci.methuen.ma.us/Document...QUALIFIERS.pdf

This is Massachusetts. Welkommen!

- Janq has an LTC-A ('All Lawful Purposes') MA resident license with no restrictions, out of a notoriously leftist town
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I used to live in MA. Some chiefs are very pro gun and some are not. It's a totally arbitrary decision made by the licensing authority of the town you live in. The licensing authority can also make you jump through hoops by making you get letters of reference from friends, co-workers, and your job. I got my license when I turned 18. It was later grandfathered into a Class A LTC (High Capacity). Had friends in other towns who had to get Class B ( low capacity) or even just for target/ hunting for number of years before they could change it to a Class A. There have been cases where the town was taken to court and ended up having to give someone a permit, but it was very expensive and took years to do. It was definately a factor in my decision to move to the state of FL.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    The key to the story and very likely the Chief's decision is this...

MA law toward disbursement of all types and degrees/levels of weapon licensing (FFL, LTC-B, and LTC-A) as applied to residents are based on that of the Chief or 'Licensing Authority' for the town they reside in.

The MA law reads as the following;

MA law has no definition toward what "suitable" is nor what makes a person as much or not, and thus such is left to the licensing authority person(s) to ascertain on an individual applicant basis.
    Plainly the Chief of his town or his agent does not feel that either he is a "suitable" person and/or that the stated reason for his request of such level/degree license on his application was not convincing enough for them, and this happens often with people.

Those who are not MS residents may learn more about the specifics of this nutty states LTC regulations via this detailed primer as provided by the Methuen, MA PD; http://www.ci.methuen.ma.us/Document...QUALIFIERS.pdf

This is Massachusetts. Welkommen!

- Janq has an LTC-A ('All Lawful Purposes') MA resident license with no restrictions, out of a notoriously leftist town
    the birthday cake incident,immature and stupid.how well did he know this woman anyway? im sure that had something to do w/it this guy should have known better.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Our state is wacked and there's no doubt about it. Permits to carry are almost 99% decided by the chief of police for that city/town. After a back ground check etc. he can simply deny or grant you a Class A License (conceal handgun) or he can say the reason you gave to carry doesn't warrant a good enough reason for him to award you one....but I will allow you to have a hunters license instead. Yes, we have to explain why we need or want a license...we don't just get one because its our Constitutional Right !!! Like one of the previous post read, I know of towns that give them out like sprinkles on your ice cream cone yet the town right next door, that chief acts like everone is going to abuse their right and shoot up the neighborhoods so he denies all applicants. Really too bad we all can't be on the same page about this and also for that matter while I'm thinking about it, I would love to see our state get up to speed with the brand/models of handguns we are "NOT" allowed to purchase here although every other state can. So much BS.

Quote Originally Posted by stormbringerr View Post
    the birthday cake incident,immature and stupid.how well did he know this woman anyway? im sure that had something to do w/it this guy should have known better.
    I think this incident refers to the Chief, not the person applying for the permit.

Both my daughter & son in law have their class A lg cap, from the chief. May be the acting chief who issued the permit. (correct me if im wrong.)

Common Sense, the rarest of all senses

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    MA is a "may-not-issue" state. This is similar to things I have read about NY state (outside of NYC), where an applicant must live with a hunting/target shooting permit for a few years and may eventually be allowed to graduate to a full CCW permit.
    It's not quite that bad in New York, depending on the county. I was issued a full carry non restricted permit right away (although it took 4 months for processing). I have heard that the closer you are to urban areas, the harder it is to get that unrestricted permit. It's all up to a judge in the county you're in.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Thumbs down Maryland ditto

The Peoples Republik of Maryland, is also a "Shall Deny" type of state, very similar to MA. They deny based on the whims of the Superintendent of State Police.
    Unless you are very politically connected or retired from the Maryland State Police, nothing you can ever provide will be enough cause to issue. I've even heard of some retired LEOs from local areas being denied.
    The Second Amendment is void in Maryland.

Quote Originally Posted by Martini13 View Post
    I think this incident refers to the Chief, not the person applying for the permit.
    Went back and reread the story...And you are correct. Excellent point!

Then possibly on the application where it asks for a statement of reason he simply wrote in as many do that he is entitled per the 2A, which does not fly with many Chiefs/Licensing persons.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Then possibly on the application where it asks for a statement of reason he simply wrote in as many do that he is entitled per the 2A, which does not fly with many Chiefs/Licensing persons.
    I think you're right. From the story: "Weymouth Town Solicitor George Lane III said Neiland did not receive an all lawful purpose permit or license to carry permit because he did not state a need to protect his property or himself on the application forms."

Quote Originally Posted by Martini13 View Post

Both my daughter & son in law have their class A lg cap, from the chief. May be the acting chief who issued the permit. (correct me if im wrong.)

you re right Thomas the police chief that turned down the permit is the one on leave for pulling a sexist prank.
    well that makes the whole thing even worse....thanks martini

― Thomas Paine

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links