Our own responsibility - Page 3

Our own responsibility

This is a discussion on Our own responsibility within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think what P95 calls "Spidey Sense" is quite real, but also something that would be very difficult to quantify. More than likely, I'd say ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Our own responsibility

I think what P95 calls "Spidey Sense" is quite real, but also something that would be very difficult to quantify.

More than likely, I'd say its primarily based on picking up on visual cues, including those on a subliminal level.

As a species, we really aren't that far removed from those distant ancestors that were often prey, in a very real sense. Their survival depended upon an ability to "see" danger before it actually manifested itself.

They might not have seen the tiger in the bush, but they would notice behavioral changes in other creatures, even those not in danger from the tiger.

This Spidey Sense would likely be an awareness of surroundings that lend themselves to an ambush, coupled with with maybe suspicious actions by potential BG's, or picking up on less-obvious but very real visual cues in their behavior.

It might seem to be "psychic," but I think it more grounded in something less mystic than that.

"Spidey Sense," or "Luke, use the Force!" Whatever you want to call it, it is real.

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

On one end of the spectrum there those who feel that we should all be allowed to go to the mall and buy anything we see and like to satisfy our lust and envy without having any money or even a job. Or maybe in a nutshell, ones like Oprah or Micheal Moore who would tell you that you are paranoid and are "profilin." And if you were in my town i would buy you a beer and a box of ammo. Way to keep the wolf away from the door. I commend thee.

Jonny;
    You do not fool me. You are not what you portend to be. Youa re, in simple terms, an anti-gunner looking to instill doubt in others and/or find some out of context quote you can use against those that would seek to protect themselves and others by exercising their Second Amendment rights.
    Your believe that if you perceive the world as a perfect place it will be so. You blame the moral failings and criminal acts of others on the perceptions and bias of law-abiding citizens. Accoring to your world, we see threats in the world because we want to see them and not because they really exist. Although I welcome your participation in the discussions, I request that you do so honestly and not hide behind an imagined facade of being a believer in the Second Amendment and our right to protect ourselves. Your purpose here is transparent, be honest with us and yourself.
    ----------------------------------------------
    Bob McDuffee, co-host DogWatch Social Club Podcast
    Thoughtful Conversation, Considered Opinion and a Touch of Insanity
    "He who goes about unarmed in paradise, had better be sure that is where he is!" James Thurber

Jonny

You're wise in re-evaluating your CC needs. CC is not for everyone. Just a moments hesitation in the face of danger could prove fatal for you and/or those around you. Until you're 100% confident with your abilities, needs, training and attitude, it's best that CC not be considered.

When I saw the post, I thought as XD40 did, that Johnny might be misleading us. There's that 'spidey sense' for ya... I'm not sure on that, time will tell. If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong. No harm no foul.

Just as in the original post... If Johnny is right, and the reason for the negitive attention of the 'punks' was P95's body language... then he still didn't do anything to them but perhaps be a little rude. Everyone went home safe. No harm no foul.

I for one don't find my readyness condition going up all that often. I run into a great many people roaming the city, of all different walks of life. Once in a great while I'll notice someone that 'feels' wrong, and will be more than normally attentive to their actions (while leaving the area, usually).

I don't consider every person I see pumping gas as a punk that's out to get me! All the same, I can't consider everyone I run into as harmless. There is a chance that I'd be wrong, and I'm _not_ willing to become a victim because I was unwilling to keep my eyes open.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

It may be that the term, "punk" has different meanings to those of us reading this thread. Nowhere in the first post did I read anything that indicated P95 was rude towards them.

I'd say they were likely to have been evaluating him, just because he was there and then "waved off" because of his overall demeanor. He didn't look like a sheep to them.

It's also possible they had no real interest in him from the get-go. If that was the case, then he said or did nothing to attract their attention to him, so very much, "no harm, no foul."

But a person's overall general appearnance and demenor is a ligitimate part of our evaluation of them.

Shouldn't judge a book by it's cover? But we do every day. It's designed to catch our eye, after all. Of course, once you pick it up, you thumb through it, read the overleaf, see what reviews or comments might be there, perhaps a synopsis of the story. . .

But with people, we simply do not have the time to get to know them, find out what they're really like.

So, for the most part, they will be judged on how they look, how they act, and if they "fit in" where they are, or look somehow, "out of place."

Idealize all you like, but remember we have to live and function in the real world.

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links