Our own responsibility

This is a discussion on Our own responsibility within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Stopped for gas on way to the shoot today - small gas station, only two pumps and somewhat out of the way. A car (real ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Our own responsibility

Assistant Administrator

Our own responsibility

Stopped for gas on way to the shoot today - small gas station, only two pumps and somewhat out of the way. A car (real beater) was there already, being filled by a less than pleasant looking punk, and inside car were two others.

I got to filling truck, keeping a subtle eye on this crew nearby - and not feeling over comfortable actually. I knew I was being watched by all three in some way, rather obviously.

So - it occurred to me yet again (OK this is old hat to ''the choir''!) - that no way on this small planet, can cops be out to protect our butts, it is numerically impossible and IMO something we should not (anyone) even expect. If it turned out these guys had bad intentions, like try it on with me and/or scam the office to rob - what would be the outcome?

Had anything gone down before I could have left, well, at least I would have had a good chance - but unarmed, probably hell no! I was not exactly ''secure'' in my armed status but at same time I did at least have some form of solution were it needed.

They pumped less than me and finished - the guy went and paid and was quickly back - and off they went, still looking. My spidey sense may have been excessive but - even the clerk when I went in to pay expressed discomfort at dealing with the one guy - call it ''vibes'', so it was not just me.

So as ever - who knows - things can occur anywhere and it is WE, who bear the responsibility for our own protection. Tell that to the poor folks in Uk or Aus' - they have little to fall back on at all.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Usually when you find yourself being stared at by multiple "up to no goods" then it's likely that you were being "street thug evaluated" ~ It's good that you (Chris) do not come across as being an easy mark. or a marshmallow target.

evidently something about your look/demeanor told them this guy might fight back. who knows? you might've prevented a holdup or worse just by being there. good job without even trying,lol.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    I'll take it a step farther. I believe that citizens have the duty to stop or prevent crime to the best of their ability. I don't think that a good citizen can hide under a rock ith their gun and be satisfied that they and theirs are safe.

Now, I realize that this has to depend on the specific situation. Sometimes the best you can do is be a good witness, call 911, get licence plate, etc... but I don't think you should have the mindset of automatically NOT getting directly involved.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Chris you took the words out of my head. I really feel its our responcibility to protect ourselfs and our fellow citizens.
    I carry because I care.
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    You are so right about the police not being every where. When I was a young man I moved to Missouri with my parents. We left Southern California because Dad wanted to live some place quieter and safer. We landed in a small town with a population of 608, my high school class in Calif had that many people in it. So the first Saturday night after getting settled in I head for the nearest big town to see what is going on. The car is a little low on gas so I pull into the first gas station I come too and as my head lights hit the front office I see a masked man holding a gun the the cashier. He sees the headlights and bolts out of the office and down an alley. So Chris you are right no matter where or when we must be ready, because there is no place without threat.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Nice job. Sometimes all it takes is the look of someone who is "on his game" to turn the advantage. BGs DO NOT want a fair fight. If you have the presence(sp?) of someone who will not lay down and cower behind a threat of violence then you are someone who gives the BG a second thought as to what his plan of action is going to be. Seeing a citizen in the area who is ready to combat violence with everything he has is easy to spot from the BG point of view. A fair fight is NOT what he is after.

Kudos to you for being vigilent and ready to defend yourself and those around you. If you don't want to be a victim then don't look like a victim. Make yourself look as though you are ready to eat nails and **** bullets!!!
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Membership Revoked Array HappyGunner's Avatar

Wink It happens day and night here

Around my crime infested cowtown they rob people at convenience stores day and night.

There is no way that our local police can do very much to protect us. It's be ready for anything or become the next victim on the news.

One night last week there were nine holdups and most were people getting gas at convenience stores or the clerk inside.

Yesterday three young dudes tried robbing this small northside secondhand store run by and older man and his wife.

They Implied they had guns and demanded money when the owner was slow to respond they knocked him down.

Well he pulled out this 38spl revolver "he had a CCW permit" and blasted away hitting one of the robbers in the back as he ran.

They jumped in a waiting auto and made it to a near by apartment complex. Where the mother of the young dude called EMSA for help.

This young kid died on the way to the hospital.

This is really nothing new around here last year 2005 we had 65 homicides. I am going to try real hard not to one of them homicide victims in 2006.

Lead Moderator
    Good eye spotting trouble. Perhaps you should consider waiting to fill up till after the suspects drove off. Better to wait and have more options(drive away, seek better cover ) than be occupied with something other than a percieved threat. I might even have gone as far as fixing my cargo(getting my hands on a long gun).

Assistant Administrator
    Rocky, I did consider putting off my fill-up but in most situations I tend to prefer to act natural and the amount they were looking only really got going once I was filling - I was in a sense committed by then. I achieved most observation of their moves by monitoring reflection in my cap side window, and was holding nozzle left handed too! Maybe this said something

Rifle? Haha - on back seat was L1A1, with a full mag within reach - my, that could have been handy!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Interesting scenario! What can be done is very different from state to state. Some state laws indicate that the only thing you can do is to protect yourself and perhaps your family. But, you can't do anything to protect property. If you are not directly threatened there is nothing that you can do.

Other states allow you do draw and fire your gun to protect property et. al. So, it pays to know what the law is in your state so you know what you can, and cannot, do.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

So - it occurred to me yet again (OK this is old hat to ''the choir''!) - that no way on this small planet, can cops be out to protect our butts, it is numerically impossible and IMO something we should not (anyone) even expect.
    Let me tell you why I like this. My parents (both over 60) live in a very rural and remote part of Northern PA. The closest State Police barracks is, get this, 45 minutes away. There are a couple town police officers, but the again, the closest to them is a 15 minute drive, if the town cop is even on duty (only 1 in each of the 2 small towns near them!)

My dad, an avid gun owner and concealed carrier, always says that to me when we go visit. He says how there they have to take the law into their own hands, cause if he sits and waits for the law to arrive to protect him, he will be long dead. His favorite thing to say about the subject is, "The police will get here in time to string yellow tape around my house!"

It is your duty as an American citizen to protect you and yours. Please do it!

VIP Member

Wasn't it Edmund Burke...

who said something to the effect of, "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"?

Glad all went well, Chris!

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dairycreek
    Other states allow you do draw and fire your gun to protect property et. al. So, it pays to know what the law is in your state so you know what you can, and cannot, do.
    Someone who draws a gun to steal my property is, by definition, also threatening me. BANG, BANG, BANG.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

I agree that it is our own responsibility to protect ourselves. And I know I that I won't just stand by and watch; don't get me wrong I don't want to play police officer (the Air Force already makes me do that several months out of the year ) I will do my best to help others. But property seems different to me. Yes if they're trying to take my property they are a threat, but then again it is also just property. Material things can be replaced, I can't. (Well, I can eventually, but it'll take nine months and I really don't think my mother wants to go through that again!)
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links