CCW, LEO, and needed AMMO from Walmart

This is a discussion on CCW, LEO, and needed AMMO from Walmart within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Normally I purchase my Ammo from Walmart, and after leaving the range and headed into Mpls, I was out of Ammo for my Baby Eagle ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CCW, LEO, and needed AMMO from Walmart

CCW, LEO, and needed AMMO from Walmart

Normally I purchase my Ammo from Walmart, and after leaving the range and headed into Mpls, I was out of Ammo for my Baby Eagle which is my normal CCW. So I was next to these two LEO's at a light and I rolled down my window and asked if there was a Walmart near there. The LEO on the passenger side said he didn't believe Walmart was in the city limits. So I asked him if he knew where I could buy any ammo? He thought about it, and then asked his partner, and the partner said about three lights up there was a sporting goods place that might carry ammo.

Now here is why I am mentioning this, my friend riding with me was shocked that I would ask a LEO where to buy some ammo. Why not? Why do people live paranoid about LEO's and talking to them. It didn't even cross my mind about it being wierd, and there was not a weird expression from the LEO's when I asked the question.

Was it that weird of a question? I figured if anyone knew they would!
    1st Combat Engineer Battalion - Pistols Ruger P44, Baby Eagle .45, HK45 Full Size

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    If a LEO gets his on-duty ammo from his department and is not a shooter when off the clock, I can see how he might not know where to buy. But the question does seem normal, and it was answered.

Senior Moderator
    I always find it werid that people are afriad to ask LEO's common things like for directions
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I always find it werid that people are afriad to ask LEO's common things like for directions
    I guess its how you are raised, my kids and everyone I know believe LEO's are there to help you, not incarcerate you. Though I was born and raised in Detroit, that was a different time, but still unless you did something wrong you have nothing to worry about.
    1st Combat Engineer Battalion - Pistols Ruger P44, Baby Eagle .45, HK45 Full Size

VIP Member
    Why not ask, they are people just like the rest of us. It's not like you were asking him, "Can you tell me where a good convenience store to rob is located?".
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

"to protect and serve" people seem to forget that...

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I am not against asking an LEO a question, but I generally won't because I feel like I would be bothering them. After all they are at work and I hate when people bother me for things that are not work related.

I might ask them where a good burger was, but never about ammo. Maybe it's just me.

I don't think I was stopping them to ask where to get ammo, I was actually looking for a walmart, and they said they didn't think there was any in the city limits. Minus the work Ammo, I could have asked do you know where a sporting good store is.

I guess it was what was on my mind at the time, ammo.. there could have been a local gun store near by, or sporting good store. I felt they were more familiar with the neighborhood than I was.

I'd never ask a cop where to buy ammo, directions, etc.
    Growing up in an inner city put the fear of God in me. I always feel like they're going to say, "Hey, aren't you Superman? I saw your picture on our wall. You're wanted in BFE for <obscure traffic violation 30 years ago> and we've been looking for you for ages. Turn around."

I'm skeerd

I even have a good friend that's an officer in Semi weight enforcement, but still wouldn't bother them on duty either.
    [I]They make a desert and call it peace - Calgacus
    We're all just a bunch of Right Wing Racist Republican Homophobes - Rush L.

I used to work at a BBQ joint that was the daily lunch spot for all the areas leos/staters. It took me awhile to realize that yes, they are just regular people and you can act normal around them. It got to the point that I knew them so well, we would exchange jokes with them and got into a occasional resturaunt VS cops snowball fight. and they thought it was great.
    It got me out of a speeding ticket and a "too fast for conditions" ticket(hit some ice with a camaro with bald tires and had to be towed out of the ditch)

Point is they are people and deserve to be treated as such.
    I treat them like anyone else I run into.
    -mac
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

Quote Originally Posted by 40S&WMAN View Post
    Well. serve anyway.

I'm just not much for asking for directions from anyone - I do mapquest or something along those lines before going out. If I'm in a place I'm not familiar with, then I'm probably on vacation and I've already got my 1000 rounds with me.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Quote Originally Posted by 40S&WMAN View Post
    "to protect and serve, and to help you get more ammo"...

Seems like an 'OK' question to me.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by bassking View Post
    Normally I purchase my Ammo from Walmart, and after leaving the range and headed into Mpls, I was out of Ammo for my Baby Eagle which is my normal CCW. So I was next to these two LEO's at a light and I rolled down my window and asked if there was a Walmart near there. The LEO on the passenger side said he didn't believe Walmart was in the city limits. So I asked him if he knew where I could buy any ammo? He thought about it, and then asked his partner, and the partner said about three lights up there was a sporting goods place that might carry ammo.

Now here is why I am mentioning this, my friend riding with me was shocked that I would ask a LEO where to buy some ammo. Why not? Why do people live paranoid about LEO's and talking to them. It didn't even cross my mind about it being wierd, and there was not a weird expression from the LEO's when I asked the question.

Was it that weird of a question? I figured if anyone knew they would!

Well, did you get the ammo? oh and I "would of" asked them.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links