Poll: Should a persons' occupation determine their right to carry?

This is a discussion on Poll: Should a persons' occupation determine their right to carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This thread has me utterly confused....

View Poll Results: Should a persons' right to carry depend on their occupation?

Voters
271. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 2.21%
  • No

255 94.10%
  • Maybe, I'll explain in my post

10 3.69%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Should a persons' occupation determine their right to carry?

Poll: Should a persons' occupation determine their right to carry?

This thread has me utterly confused.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

2. Remove Ads

Not only "no" but "heck no".
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Anybody who thinks that a 6'2", 200lb. single guy who makes bank deposits has a greater right not to get robbed than a 5'2", 110lb. mother of three does to not get raped and murdered is an imbecile at best.

The only thing that matters to me is their character, specifically, whether they have demonstrated a flawed character through their actions. I believe in giving people one chance to screw the pooch, then it's over.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    The only thing that matters to me is their character, specifically, whether they have demonstrated a flawed character through their actions. I believe in giving people one chance to screw the pooch, then it's over.
    I could not agree more!
    Randy
    "The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down". -unknown

I am not sure that could have been said any better by anyone! +1
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

at first I was thinking maybe, there might be certain situations where it wouldn't be a good idea... but theni couldn't think of any situations like that. so i had to go with NO
    "An armed society is a polite society" - Robert A. Heinlein

I am going to use an extreme example for why maybe the employer should determine if the employee should have a right to carry. Prison guard. How many people on this forum think it would be good for all prison guards to be able to carry at work if they chose to?

As far as the original post that this refers to, being a firefighter. I didn't get the part about the nursing home. In Texas there is nothing to prohibit someone from carrying into a nursing home, unless the home has the appropriate 30.06 signage. If they have the appropriate signage it doesn't matter what your occupation is short of a sworn peace officer, you can't carry in there regardless. So it isn't discriminating against any profession.

Employers set policy and rules for their employees. If you don't like the rules or policies, you have two legal options in Texas. Find a new job, or obey the rules.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

+10
    NC CCH Instructor, NRA Instructor
    NRA
    GOA
    Beretta 96 Brigadier
    Kimber Pro Eclipse II 1911
    Taurus PT1911

Senior Moderator
    Well I think that no matter what my occupation is I have the right to carry.
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    The answer isn't a waiver for a specific profession. The answer is getting rid of prohibition on carry in specified places.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

so the second amendment only depends on your job title?
    I think not.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    The answer isn't a waiver for a specific profession. The answer is getting rid of prohibition on carry in specified places.
    +1
    Would appear that we should never be restricted but there are times it may seem very impractical to be carrying and one's employer may request that you do not carry. Some of these examples may seem obsurd but such is the nature of the best:
    Scuba instructor; deep sea welder, circus performer, hangglider instructor, thearpist in a psychiatirc ward, Mentioned prison guards,
    I am sure there are others but this is as far as many as I can come up with in a short period of time. Will keep thinking on it and post if more run through my head.

I chose no, at least I meant to. I don't think someone's profession should dictate it as long as they are an American who has no felonies.

In the other thread my whole intent in my comments were that certain professions would need to take a little extra care, in the example of a Firefighter, in the event they would have to disarm by entering specific places where not allowed or in the event of running in to a burning building.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wareagleky View Post
    +1
    Would appear that we should never be restricted but there are times it may seem very impractical to be carrying and one's employer may request that you do not carry. Some of these examples may seem obsurd but such is the nature of the best:
    Scuba instructor; deep sea welder, circus performer, hangglider instructor, thearpist in a psychiatirc ward, Mentioned prison guards,
    I am sure there are others but this is as far as many as I can come up with in a short period of time. Will keep thinking on it and post if more run through my head.
    Ah, but this doesn't address my point. My point (and the original post on Firefighters in the other thread) had nothing to do with an employer prohibiting carry (their right I think, we are free to find another job).

It had to do with the Firefighters wanting to get a waiver from being prohibited by law from carrying in specific places. Granted, the OP in this thread did mention the issue of determining by profession.

I've no problem if my scuba instructor wants to carry. Maybe he wants to demonstrate how a Glock will fire underwater*. Fine by me, as long as it's his Glock, and not mine. Hope it's fresh water.

*Reference to quote of Deputy Marshal Sam Gerard in U.S.Marshals.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links