Students file lawsuit against college for CC.

This is a discussion on Students file lawsuit against college for CC. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wife brought this to my attention. The article does not show it, but the reporter interviewed a female student and by his expression, did not ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Students file lawsuit against college for CC.

Students file lawsuit against college for CC.

Wife brought this to my attention. The article does not show it, but the reporter interviewed a female student and by his expression, did not get the response he wanted.

cbs4denver.com - Gun Group Challenges CU's Concealed Weapons Ban

Gun Group Challenges CU's Concealed Weapons Ban
    COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (AP) ― A gun rights group says it has launched a court challenge of the University of Colorado's ban on concealed weapons on campus.

Students for Concealed Carry on Campus said Thursday it is filing suit in El Paso County District Court in Colorado Springs.

CU has campuses in Colorado Springs, Boulder, Denver and Aurora.

The group says a state law governing concealed weapons has no provision that allows the university to ban guns. It also says the ban is so broad that it violates the state constitution.

CU System spokeswoman Deborah Mendez-Wilson says state law does give the system's governing Board of Regents the authority to ban concealed weapons.

She says the attorney general reviewed and upheld the policy in a formal opinion in 2003.

Other plaintiffs in the lawsuit are CU-Denver student Martha Altman, CU-Colorado Springs student John Davis and CU-Colorado Springs alumnus Eric Mote. They are represented by the Rocky Mountain Legal Foundation.

"No law-abiding adult should be denied the ability to protect herself, either on or off campus," said William Perry Pendley, president and chief legal officer of Mountain States Legal Foundation.

Michael Guzman, president of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, said gun bans don't keep the public safe.

"SCCC does not want a gun in every student's or professor's hands, but it is absurd that someone can legally carry on one side of the street but not the other," he said. "A total ban on licensed concealed carry does not improve safety and we have seen that such policies can lead to tragedy."

Mendez-Wilson defended the policy, saying the CU System's police and campus police across the country oppose allowing weapons on campus.

She said part of the university's core mission is keeping its campuses safe for students and faculty.

Mendez-Wilson said the regents have no plans to change the policy, which has been in place since 1970.

Press Release: Lawsuit against Colorado University
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I'm thinking that it will be an uphill battle, but one never knows until they try.

I sincerely hope that they win.

with that being said..
    Mendez-Wilson defended the policy, saying the CU System's police and campus police across the country oppose allowing weapons on campus.

She said part of the university's core mission is keeping its campuses safe for students and faculty.
    I really get tired of the same ole antigun rhetoric. First of all, unless she has polled every single campus cop around the country, she has no clue what they think.

Secondly, she is insinuating that people that carry concealed handguns will somehow lessen campus safety while preventing those that could defend themselves from a random shooter from actually doing it.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Godspeed. I don't know what that means exactly, but good luck to them!
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Boulder Colorado, where the University is based, is, as most of us like to call it, "The republic of Boulder" is chock full of liberal, tree hugging, PC, hippie animal loving....I'd better stop before I get a nastygram from admin.

Anyhow, you would be hard put to spit and not hit an anti gun person, hence the reporters interview that did not go as he had hoped.
    Sticks

A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Well, I hope it gets passed, but it's an uphill battle as someone else noted. At least the campus closest to me (CSU) allows CC on campus.

-Jeff-

My news link has video now - edited.

I watched a couple of other news stations last night, and the sheep students amaze me. "We have plenty of Campus Security. We have not had any problems..." That particular little girl (trying very hard not to stereotype) clearly has not read any of the campus newspapers, local newspapers or watches the news on TV. Muggings, rapes, assaults...and just like the Police, the security arrives after the fact, loooong after the fact to take a report, then maybe just maybe issue a warning to other students.

Quote Originally Posted by BeefyBeefo View Post
    Well, I hope it gets passed, but it's an uphill battle as someone else noted. At least the campus closest to me (CSU) allows CC on campus.

-Jeff-
    That is now being debated if it will stay that way. I wonder if they are receiving pressure from those that provide funding to the college?
    Sticks

See also Sheep

Mendez-Wilson ... said part of the university's core mission is keeping its campuses safe for students and faculty.
    If that were truly the case, if the university actually wanted to improve safety of people who were attacked, they would understand the simplicity of predator "economics".

Same old misunderstanding, mistakenly equating guns with danger. Guns in the hands of criminals are, indeed. But guns in the hands of upstanding citizens ARE NOT A THREAT. Quite the contrary.

In Utah, blood is not running in the streets on the University Of Utah campus. Why? Such people are not a threat to anyone. Only criminals are a threat.

There WILL be a few idiots, psychotics, sociopaths and other law-breakers in any large group of people. Among the hundreds or thousands of upstanding people who carry would carry weapons for defensive purposes, there will certainly occasionally be a criminal who has successfully masqueraded as an upstanding citizen. There's no stopping that. But here's the thing: without upstanding citizens being armed against violent crime, there's no stopping violent crime. It'll happen, and on the instant of the violence there will be precious little the average person can do to stop it. THAT is the practical result of state-forced disarmament and mistrust of citizens. If only the people holding temporary seats of power would open their eyes and see the practical results of their restrictive and punitive policies.

Kudos to the efforts of all the folks involved with Students For Concealed Carry On Campus, and to every other upstanding citizen fighting to be recognized as having every right to defend against crime.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

It does make one wonder if the Universities win, if they will then be liable for damages when anything happens to a student that their "Campus Security" was supposed to protect them from. I.E. Muggings, Rape, Mass Shootings, Assaults...

What a precedent that would make!
    Sticks

See also Sheep

If just one group could win this battle, or come close enough to inspire other challenges, we could see this gain traction among the masses.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BeefyBeefo View Post
    At least the campus closest to me (CSU) allows CC on campus.

-Jeff-
    Colorado State allows and Colorado doesn't...that is the inconsistancy not even mentioned in the article. Would seem to me a pretty good argument...unless of course the number of rapes, thefts etc. have not changed from one school to the other.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    Colorado State allows and Colorado doesn't...that is the inconsistancy not even mentioned in the article. Would seem to me a pretty good argument...unless of course the number of rapes, thefts etc. have not changed from one school to the other.

Rick
    I doubt anyone has tracked the data on that one. And if they did, it would be to easy to dismiss as there are too many differences between the schools. Demographics, population, income, criteria...
    Sticks

See also Sheep

The Colorado Springs TV stations put a "neutral" to "good" spin on it in their newscasts IIRC. They stay away from the Republic of Boulder tho, and focused on the Spgs and Pueblo campuses, which are much more conservative.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

I'm actually surprised my old school didn't allow CC on their campus. Liberty has been filled by pretty big gun supporters and is in the middle of some great hunting areas in VA, yet weapons aren't allowed on campus. Before I had been really into guns I had always thought that we were all just sitting ducks here if somebody wanted to do something.
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

Quote Originally Posted by Red82 View Post
    I'm actually surprised my old school didn't allow CC on their campus. Liberty has been filled by pretty big gun supporters and is in the middle of some great hunting areas in VA, yet weapons aren't allowed on campus. Before I had been really into guns I had always thought that we were all just sitting ducks here if somebody wanted to do something.
    yep students are just sitting ducks...here at CNU they have the same no gun policy....i mean we have all seen first hand what can happen at VT. if there would have been a person with a CW there they most likely could have put him down and stopped that crazy stuff before it it happened to its extent

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    It does make one wonder if the Universities win, if they will then be liable for damages when anything happens to a student that their "Campus Security" was supposed to protect them from. I.E. Muggings, Rape, Mass Shootings, Assaults...

What a precedent that would make!
    That ain't gonna happen, in fact, a bill to hold those who create "gun free zones" responsible for injuries or death if being armed could have changed the outcome, has been defeated in the Colo legislature recently: 2008 Colorado gun bills See the one about "GunFree Zones Liability"

Gotta give cudos to CSU, they "Get it."

Boulder on the other hand...

Earlier in November, an acquaintance told me that her son, who attends CU Boulder, told her that there were two (not one but two) gang rapes @ CU-Boulder in one week.

Two Rape / Sexual Assault incidents in Boulder in last week. What to do to stay Safe. | elephant journal

At least arm the coeds in Boulder, they're the ones who really need it.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links