South Carolina Employment Rules

This is a discussion on South Carolina Employment Rules within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 1. Does anyone know whether or not an employer can restrict an employee from having a gun in their car at the parking lot of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: South Carolina Employment Rules

1. Does anyone know whether or not an employer can restrict an employee from having a gun in their car at the parking lot of their employer?

2. If Yes, an employer can, does anyone have recommendations toward communicating effectively with the employer?

Id like to know the same but for NC. My wife says they wont allow her to have a gun in the car. I tell her to lock it in a COM safe when she gets there. I dont think they can search the car.

Still she has to leave in the dark and gets home in the dark. 45 minute ride to and from work. If she breaks down Im at least 30 minutes away.

This is an issue I've tried researching for Kansas. I just get confused with all the legal mumbo jumbo.
    For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
    Romans 6:23
    www.Jesus-is-Savior.com
    Fundmental Brodcasting Network
    www.ConsitutionParty.org

Yes in some states. Not in MN. You might check with the NRA. I think they are helping some employees of a company sue their former employer for firing them because they had guns in their vehicles.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

park OFF company property and they have no say in the matter.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

I know I can't park in our company lot with a gun in it.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Quote Originally Posted by tbrenke View Post
    What if thats not an option?

The whole thing is crapola. They are not gonna provide protection for her coming and going to work.

Unless the employee agrees to a policy allowing random vehicle searches, what they don't know won't hurt them (and can really help you when you need it most).

And if you want to play it really safe and guard against theft so that you don't have to report a stolen firearm from a parking lot where you weren't supposed to have one - consider bolting a safe in the vehicle (easier said than done but worth it).

Quote Originally Posted by Mountainman1 View Post
    1. Does anyone know whether or not an employer can restrict an employee from having a gun in their car at the parking lot of their employer?

2. If Yes, an employer can, does anyone have recommendations toward communicating effectively with the employer?

1943 - 2009
    Has anyone noticed that the OP asked about South Carolina?

Anyone from the Palmetto State care to take a stab at this?

I'm pretty sure that what you do in Kansas or Arizona or Minnesota isn't going to answer his question...

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

If the business owns the property and properly posts it, you cannot carry concealed. HOWEVER! it does not address "transport" in "glove box, console etc..." at all. Nothing addresses this part that I know of. So... having it in the car seems a very Grey area but I do not see anything prohibiting it nor allowing a method of prohibiting "non concealed carried weapons in transport" on private property. I cannot find a specific allowance for that. Nor can I find a method by which the property or business owner can forbid transport in the car nor how he/she would be able to enforce it either.... Unfortunately.... that is not a clear answer.

SECTION 23-31-220. Right to allow or permit concealed weapons upon premises; signs.

Nothing contained in this article shall in any way be construed to limit, diminish, or otherwise infringe upon:

(1) the right of a public or private employer to prohibit a person who is licensed under this article from carrying a concealable weapon upon the premises of the business or work place or while using any machinery, vehicle, or equipment owned or operated by the business;

(2) the right of a private property owner or person in legal possession or control to allow or prohibit the carrying of a concealable weapon upon his premises.

The posting by the employer, owner, or person in legal possession or control of a sign stating “No Concealable Weapons Allowed” shall constitute notice to a person holding a permit issued pursuant to this article that the employer, owner, or person in legal possession or control requests that concealable weapons not be brought upon the premises or into the work place. A person who brings a concealable weapon onto the premises or work place in violation of the provisions of this paragraph may be charged with a violation of Section 16-11-620. In addition to the penalties provided in Section 16-11-620, a person convicted of a second or subsequent violation of the provisions of this paragraph must have his permit revoked for a period of one year. The prohibition contained in this section does not apply to persons specified in Section 16-23-20, item (1).

if your state considers cars private property, you can do what you like in your property.

they can scare you into not doing it, but that will be like telling employees to not watch fox at home since it's against policy.

it has no legal standing.

edit
    "unless the state has a law about it"
    NO 3rd party disputes

The power of imagination is the key to life.

It helps you think ahead, consider the possibilities,and prepare you for the future.
    If you lack that ability, you're no different from livestock trapped behind a fence.

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    If the business owns the property and properly posts it, you cannot carry concealed. HOWEVER! it does not address "transport" in "glove box, console etc..." at all. .
    Elsewhere (such as Weyerhauser in Oklahoma) the parking lot is private property and the employer may prohibit firearms on their property.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    Has anyone noticed that the OP asked about South Carolina?

Anyone from the Palmetto State care to take a stab at this?

I'm pretty sure that what you do in Kansas or Arizona or Minnesota isn't going to answer his question...
    Um Im in the Palmetto State so Id like to know for both.

The reason is that most of the folks who live in my area have to cross the state line to go to work which presents its own set of issues.

Then again, South Carolina is a Right To Work State. So your employer may see fit to release you from their employment at any time. Your dime to take it to court.

Quote Originally Posted by tbrenke View Post
    Ditto

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links