What do you do when you AD (accidental discharge)?

This is a discussion on What do you do when you AD (accidental discharge)? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have heard few stories come up here and there but I don't know what you are suppose to do when you are in a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I have heard few stories come up here and there but I don't know what you are suppose to do when you are in a situation when you AD.
    I don't want to wait for someone else to call the police to explain the situation if I can begin the process myself.
    I am not too concerned with this issue when I carry almost all my pistols, except with Glocks I still get scared to holster it (which is probably the reason why I don't carry Glocks as often as I like to)
    It is not "might OF", it is "might HAVE". It is not "could OF", it is "could HAVE". Go spread the word.

It's only happened once. I was at the range with a milsurp semi auto. When I put the mag in and released the bolt, I got two slam fires without touching the trigger. I immedietly unloaded the rifle and put it in the rack. The range safety officer, who was at the far end of the line, later asked me if I was using an unusually hot load. "That was very loud". He hadn"t noticed that it was two shots and not one. The rifle went to a gun smith and I never had another problem with it.
    Slaves are taken care of. Free men take care of themselves.

http://www.texasguntalk.com/

AD/ND...what to do?
    This is an 'if, when, and where' quesiton.
    I wouldn't call/tell anyone if I were certain I hadn't harmed anyone or destroyed property.
    Why would you be in a hurry to call the PD? (You're not going to get an 'atta boy' from them.)
    Perhaps you could narrow down the scenario?

Stay armed...be careful...stay safe!
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; December 13th, 2008 at 06:16 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    safety first ! Make sure everyone is OK and then unload and secure Weapon. Then head offf any other problems
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    I prefer the term ND (negligent discharge). But in the example of the second post, I guess that was really neither, it was a discharge by malfunction. Fortunately, he was practicing proper muzzle discipline and there was no harm done.

Hypothetically, what would I do?

1. Check for wounded (others).
    2. Check for bleeding (self).
    3. Change shorts (self ).
    4. See #'s 1&2.

Okay, after review, I forgot the first item before #1. Secure the weapon.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Administrator
    If you ND in your own home and you are 100% positive that you know where the discharged bullet ended up and 100% positive that that bullet had remained inside your own home and that nobody was injured and that only your own personal property suffered damage - I'm not sure that that you should go looking for trouble.

If you ND and injure yourself and need medical attention then just call 911 for an ambulance ASAP and get yourself to the hospital.
    Trust me the Police will find you as soon as you get treated for a gunshot wound.

If you ND and send a bullet out of a window or through a wall & out into the world to an unknown destination then you had better get on the horn and report it A.S.A.P. - because you are totally responsible for that bullet and whatever damage it does and whomever it may injure or worse.

Just my own personal opinion for what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    AD/ND...what to do?
    This is a 'if, when, and where' quesiton.
    I wouldn't call/tell anyone if I were certain I hadn't harmed anyone or destroyed property.
    Why would you be in a hurry to call the PD? (You're not going to get an 'atta boy' from them.)
    Perhaps you could narrow down the scenario?

Stay armed...be careful...stay safe!
    I guess my concern would be with someone that I do not see calling the police and making the report and rather than leaving it in someone else's imagination, I would file accurate report as it happens.
    It is not "might OF", it is "might HAVE". It is not "could OF", it is "could HAVE". Go spread the word.

jfl
    In almost 60 years of shooting I never had an AD or like another poster said, more properly called a ND.
    I have carried a Glock for almost 20 years with one in the pipe (otherwise, carry a rock ); every time, and I mean EVERY time, I draw/holster the gun I think of the possibility of the gun going off, and make sure it cannot happen; I think of the possibility of a piece of clothing getting in the trigger guard and many other things that could cause the trigger to be depressed.
    In the military, I had slam-fires and other malfunctions, but I do not call it an ND.

I'd rather spend my mental energy in preventing the ND than to go to the vast numbers of possible scenarios in case I had one.

Just like in my job, we train more on how to avoid landing gear up, than training on what to do if we forget to extend the landing gear; for that we have emergency check-lists.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    First of all, if it were me, I'd get a bit more familiar with any firearm I wished to own. Read the manual, ask the clerk in the store....find out how the gun you plan on carrying works: loads, unloads, strips down for cleaning. I'd never carry something that I was unfamiliar with....sorry if I went off topic, but I don't think I did.
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Administrator
    How often do you guys have ND's?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    I would secure the weapon, pack up my kit, and head home because I was obviously not in the correct frame of mind to be touching a firearm. I would then start a search for the nearest and/or earliest firearms safety course and call the instructor because it apparently didn't sink in the first time. I would then call my shooting buddy if he wasn't present during the event, a former Ranger, so he could come over and assist in my instruction percussively in the hopes that some boot-to-butt interface would enhance retention of the rules of safe firearms handling.

Administrator
    Also keep in mind that if you do send a bullet out into "destination unknown" and injure, kill, or damage personal property.
    It's a very simple thing for investigators to do a bit of Laser & Calcs and track that flight path back to its exact point of origin so you might as well suck in your gut - be a man - fess up & own up to it - things will go easier for you than if they have to come and get you.

the only ND I seen is my buddy when he got his first firearm, he shot his carpet he was lucky it was a hp and fragmented there.
    "same old story he thought the gun was unloaded and pulled the trigger"

I still mock him to this day

like others said dont call the cops unless you dont know where that bullet went, etc...

are you my neighbour? stop AD every week on saturdays
    NO 3rd party disputes

The power of imagination is the key to life.

It helps you think ahead, consider the possibilities,and prepare you for the future.
    If you lack that ability, you're no different from livestock trapped behind a fence.

Ron
    You guys are scaring me with this ND stuff.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

It's never happened to me. With quality firearms, ammunition, proper maintenance, and safe practices. Hopefully it never will.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links