Ever been here??

This is a discussion on Ever been here?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So last night, the wife and I went out to see a Christmas musical in Pittsburgh. Nothing too crazy, but after it was over, we ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever been here??

Ever been here??

So last night, the wife and I went out to see a Christmas musical in Pittsburgh. Nothing too crazy, but after it was over, we were walking back to the parking garage, and had to go the whole way around the building to get to the pedestrian entrance. So there we were, on the backside of the building...immediately the area looked shady. And this is Pitts. not Philly, so I can't imagine what some people are used to walking though. But anyways...we're walking and this dude is standing on the edge of the sidewalk (almost on the road) and he's looking up at some apartment window and holds up his right hand, as if to say...one second. He immediately looks down and stares at myself and my wife...now, working in prison as I do. I don't dare look away and appear fearful, but stare him down and continue walking. And immediately REGRET the fact that I've left my Glock23 at home cuz the holster didn't fit right with the suit pants I was wearing...

Anyways...We get past all the while I'm still holding my SOG Twitch 2 in my pocket (haha whats a lil pocket knife gonna do anyways) but so we get past and sure enough, a plastic bottle with something in it, gets thrown out of the window. Dude drops it, hit the streets. Bet my life on it it was a drug deal. Dude looked pretty strung out. Cant' tell you how many times I feel like...we just got lucky. Made it home, but I'm telling you, I'm this much closer to buying that 3" .45.

2. Remove Ads

Wrapping my hand around the boot grip of a S&W 642 snubbie in the pocket is much more reassuring than putting my hand on my Benchmade knife in a situation like that. In Texas, there are places posted that we can and can't carry, and I feel naked if I can't at least have the J frame in the pocket.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Sounds like you'll also be reconsidering some comfort over security...it's about risk management.

Before I had the "right" holster, I sacrificed perfect comfort with the security of having a gun just in case I needed it. Why? So I wouldn't be in the position you were in the other night saying to yourself "Why didn't I bring my gun?"

IMHO, Pitts, Philly, Chicago, Norfolk, <insert city here>, etc....all the same IRT crime. Plus, I don't care where you are, there are NO safe parking garages!

I'm glad it turned out ok for you...maybe now your wife will carry? (if she doesn't already?)
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by mwedmonds View Post
    Made it home, but I'm telling you, I'm this much closer to buying that 3" .45.
    I would have ordered it when I got home last night.
    Sig Sauer P229 Elite imm Stainless - Click for pictures
    Sig Sauer P239 SAS II (SRT) 9mm with Crimson Trace Laser
    Sig Sauer Mosquito
    Spyderco Native(s)
    Surefire G2 LED Light
    ....I have the Signess.

jfl
    That's why I have 3 box full of holsters.

Some 15 yeas ago, in the middle of the night, on a desert dirt road, we stopped to "rescue" a young woman who had alledgedly broken down.
    There was another car half hidden on the side of the road.
    We stopped because we were armed and experienced.
    It was a bona fide emergency, the other car with 4 guys had stopped a few minutes before us and they were waiting for us to leave.
    We took the young lady home and that was it.
    If we were not carrying we would never had stopped; what would have been the rest of my life if I had seen in the News the next day that she had been murdered, raped, etc. ?

From that day on, I have always carried. I learned to compromise my dressing habits to accommodate the Glock. If I cannot not legally carry somewhere, I don't go ... unless it is part of my job, and I cannot find another pilot; for instance, flying to New-York . But we stay an hour or so in the FBO and come back, so the exposure is minimal.

Now understand it is my choice as an old guy who had an incredible life; if I have to go, fine, but I'll keep my honor !
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Distinguished Member
    That is a horrible feeling, being help-less, but the really good news is for less then $300.00 you can solve the problem. LCP / P-3AT. Both work, and both happily will go anywhere with you.

Glad you are OK.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

it happens when you never expect it.

I wanted to see a movie I always go to the rich neighbour hood theater as they keep the seats and floor clean, it was 9am, bought my ticket, that day I had cash with me which I never do, and when I use cash I always put it right away in my front pocket that way I dont fumble with cash and wallet in front of everybody like most

well this shady guy was targeting me inside, I didnt know at the moment but when I went inside he started walking towards me aggressive manner, what save me is that I was paying attention of my surrounding, "at this point I'm thinking why the [Edited] I left my wheelie at home" I tell him hey what do you want, he stops right away he was thinking I wasnt paying attention, walks towards me up to my face, I back up, starts staring at my back pocket where I putted my wallet, he asks for money "insert shady story so I can get money here" I giggled since I'm thinking why did you wasted your money here then, whats more surprising he laughs, he's ready to do who knows, all this time he had is hand inside the jacket and I dont mean the pocket, I'm started to think how am I going to fight this guy, he obviously wants my wallet been staring at it the whole time.
    I threw him a dollar from my front pocket and told him I never wanted to see his ass again thats all I have, hoping he would bite I got so lucky he did, since I was waiting for NO I WANT your wallet.

I guess what save me is LUCK, paying attention and that I had the change in the front pocket.

but luck & hope is not a plan, since that day I carry everywhere I can.

what I learned is that we never are in a safe zone NEVER.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; December 14th, 2008 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Deleted a language workaround.
    NO 3rd party disputes

The power of imagination is the key to life.

It helps you think ahead, consider the possibilities,and prepare you for the future.
    If you lack that ability, you're no different from livestock trapped behind a fence.

Administrator
    I'd bet it was a drug deal too, thats a very common way to transfer the goods.

Its not that I don't want you to get that 3" 1911, but think about your situation and that purchase. The 1911 is going to carry about the same as the Glock. I think the better remedy is getting some decent holsters that give you some carry options for all modes of dress. I think purchasing that gun isn't going to solve your problem at all, in fact I think it would complicate it.

I wear a suit often, and I really like my PM9 or more recently my Jframe. Both can be pocket carried or tucked with a decent holster. I've been using a High Noon for both, they are inexpensive and work really well.

Slip the J Frame in your coat pocket, and you could have been covering the junky the entire time and the only person who would have known is you.

If I can't take a weapon because of laws, I try not to go...(school is different).
    I never leave the weapon at home...I dress around it...always.

Stay armed...in every legal situation, always...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

A couple of years ago I was walking downtown at night. I was in a temporary tunneled sidewalk put up because of construction work. All of the sudden, I am trapped between two groups of gangsters. They started giving each other's signs. "Fight or Flight Syndrome" is kicking in and I'm expecting the worst. They ended up being from the same gang and I was able to walk out of the tunnel safely.

That event made me think about my need for a personal defense weapon. After a lot of reading and researching I decided to purchase a few concealable guns and get my cc permit. Now, I don't leave the house without at least one of my guns.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Quote Originally Posted by Camjr View Post
    Wrapping my hand around the...grip of a S&W 642 snubbie in the pocket...
    I do this so often it is getting to be a bad habit.

And immediately REGRET the fact that I've left my Glock23 at home cuz the holster didn't fit right with the suit pants I was wearing...
    At my personal protection course I took yesterday, the younger instructor was laughing at my LCP saying "look at that little thing".

I told the instructor that the gun I carry always is much more useful than the Glock I leave at home because I can't conceal it properly in the clothes I was wearing.

I bet you would have loved to have even a little .22 loaded with stingers right then.
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

All of you make a great points here...all very well taken too. Anything would be better then seriously thinking how quick I can move 3 inches of steel through this guy before he hurts someone. I still feel even the Glock 23 is hard to conceal comfortably. All i've got now is a FOBUS molded holster...anyone know of nice conceal holsters for the 23? Keep the good info. coming ya'll. And thanks for the kind words as well.

All of you make a great points here...all very well taken too. Anything would be better then seriously thinking how quick I can move 3 inches of steel through this guy before he hurts someone. I still feel even the Glock 23 is hard to conceal comfortably. All i've got now is a FOBUS molded holster...anyone know of nice conceal holsters for the 23? Keep the good info. coming ya'll. And thanks for the kind words as well.

Check out some of the sponsors here, for starters.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Administrator
    All i've got now is a FOBUS molded holster...anyone know of nice conceal holsters for the 23? .
    Well there's your problem! I feel even more strongly about what I said in my first post now.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links