States w/o a class

This is a discussion on States w/o a class within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I hear a lot of people having to take a CCL safety class in various states. Some states don't require it. In PA we aren't ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: States w/o a class

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

States w/o a class

I hear a lot of people having to take a CCL safety class in various states. Some states don't require it. In PA we aren't required to, although I did for personal enrichment and to apply for my FL and ME permits. As far as I can tell you need a class in FL, UT, ME, ME, KY and AZ... those are the only ones that come to mind.

So which states require the class, which states don't?

2. Remove Ads

MI requires a class.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

CO requires a class:

PROOF OF FIREARMS TRAINING
    Please check one pertaining to your application submittal.
    □ A training certificate from a handgun training class (as defined in C.R.S. 18-12-202.5) obtained within the ten years preceding submittal of this application. It must be the original training certificate or a photocopy that includes the original signature of the class instructor.
    □ Proof of honorable discharge from a branch of the United States Armed Forces (DD214) within the three years preceding submittal of this application.
    □ Proof of honorable discharge from a branch of the United States Armed Forces (DD214) that reflects pistol qualifications obtained within the ten years preceding submittal of this application.
    □ Evidence that, at the time this application is submitted, the applicant is a certified instructor.
    □ Evidence of experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competitions or current military service.
    □ A certificate showing retirement from a Colorado Law Enforcement Agency that reflects pistol qualifications obtained within the ten years preceding submittal of this application.

-Jeff-

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Michigan "has class". Requirements that is.... . So does Nevada.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    Minnesota does as well
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Maybe I should ask which states DON'T require a class.

Arkansas does require the class. 8-10 hours I think. I'm also required to re-qualify with pistol at the range, and obtain another 'Certificate of Training' from my instructor, or any qualified instructor in my state. I got my notice for renewal in the mail this week, three months in advance!

PM
    Kansas requires 8 hour class. As of last I hear the requl requirements are up in the air --- which is scary knowing what is going on in the gov right now and the AG is anti.

Senior Moderator
    Arkansas class must be one or the other...

The AR. State Police certified class which is 5 hours, or the NRA Personal Protection in the Home which is 8 hours.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Texas requires a 10 hour class. It mainly covers use of force law and places that are off-limits. A 50 shot test is req'd, but it's fairly easy.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by PM View Post
    Kansas requires 8 hour class. As of last I hear the requl requirements are up in the air --- which is scary knowing what is going on in the gov right now and the AG is anti.
    Apparently you have a veto proof majority in your state legislature. If it wasn't for them you'd have no CCL. Unless something has changed since?

VIP Member
    I know I'll get hammered for saying this, but I actually like the "class" requirement. I think it could well be, and perhaps should be, expanded.

Here we are about to (or actually already) carrying a lethal weapon. It makes good sense that we get some training in: A) the laws that are applicable to carry B) the laws regulating use of deadly force; C) safety training; D) perhaps even some combat training--practical stuff about how to conceal, how to draw, point shooting, and more.

Yes, in theory we should all just be able to pack whatever, however, because that is what we think 2 A means. Still, if you are going to undertake a very serious activity which might have very serious consequences, you should get all the relevant education and you can.

One thing I like about DC is the good stuff I learn from a handful of very knowledgeable people. I know I am safer and "smarter" because of stuff that has been posted here.

I don't know if you would truly term it a "safety" class, but Ohio does require a 12 hour competency class. I personally think it should be more, or at least a demonstration of competency. I was one of 5 students in my class. Of the 5, only two of us had ever shot a handgun. When we went to the range to do our qualification shooting, I was a little worried about my safety. Especially when one of the students peered down the barrel of a SW .357 mag - business end aft - and didn't check the open and check the weapon first.

Now I realize that there are "2A purists" out there who believe that the right to keep and bear arms comes without qualification or strings, but I think that in the interest of safety, competency should be demonstrated. I don't worry so much about the person handling the weapon as I do about those (especially me) around them who stand to have holes drilled in them due to carelessness and ignorance.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I know I'll get hammered for saying this, but I actually like the "class" requirement. I think it could well be, and perhaps should be, expanded.

Here we are about to (or actually already) carrying a lethal weapon. It makes good sense that we get some training in: A) the laws that are applicable to carry B) the laws regulating use of deadly force; C) safety training; D) perhaps even some combat training--practical stuff about how to conceal, how to draw, point shooting, and more.

Yes, in theory we should all just be able to pack whatever, however, because that is what we think 2 A means. Still, if you are going to undertake a very serious activity which might have very serious consequences, you should get all the relevant education and you can.

One thing I like about DC is the good stuff I learn from a handful of very knowledgeable people. I know I am safer and "smarter" because of stuff that has been posted here.
    I agree. I think the classes are a good idea. The review of the laws and carrying limits, probably has kept quite some folks from getting in trouble, here in TX.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

South Dakota doesn't require a class, or any requirement that you've ever even touched a gun before. I wouldn't be upset if they did require it, because I feel that a class could be very useful, although I kind of enjoy only paying $10 for 4 years with no additional fees.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links