Nut Job on overpass

This is a discussion on Nut Job on overpass within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Started off as a regular morning headed to work. I was waiting in the turning lane on an overpass for the green turn signal. There ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nut Job on overpass

Nut Job on overpass

Started off as a regular morning headed to work. I was waiting in the turning lane on an overpass for the green turn signal. There were about 3 cars in front and a few behind. Directly in front of me was a beat-up El Camino with all kinds of crap in the bed. The guy wasnt paying attention to the light so when it turned green he didnt turn, he just sat there. I rarely ever use my horn, unless someone is about to run into me or merge into my lane without looking. The guy behind me blows his horn at the guy. I see the driver look up into the rear view mirror, through his car into park forcefully then open the driver door! All lanes are full of commuters as its rush hour. He then proceeds to get out, slam the door, throw his hands in the air and starts walking towards the end of his truck. Im watching, stunned. When he gets halfway down the bed he reaches into the bed and grabs a crowbar!!! All i could do was I raised my hands and sortoff hunched my shoulders like "Are you sure?" Then slowly and obviously reached across the arm rest for my 9mm, making sure he saw the motion. Im sure you know what happened next He ran back to his car jumped in, ran the now red light and jumped on the highway. I couldnt believe it, what if i didnt have my gun? What would have happened? From that point on I atleast always travel with a weapon.

2. Remove Ads

Good for you!!!
    Trying to leave as large a carbon footprint as possible.
    Shivering in the "heat"
    Innocent as doves, wise as serpents, armed like wolves.

Distinguished Member
    You WAY over reacted--it is obvious that he was just trying to pry his car loose so that it would move.

Nuts everywhere---you just never know. Instead of realising his error, he has to get mad.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

That was perfect! Great job.
    "The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural. "
    Best words of wisdom from my Master Emperor Palpatine

He understood what's about happen to him.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

It's funny, the same exact scenario was mention in my CCW class. Your stuck in traffic, can't move forward or backward and a guy comes at your car with a crowbar, the instructor told us the guy is using "PHYSICAL FORCE" and not "DEADLY FORCE" and we could be prosecuted if we shoot, if the guy is breaking into the car. I don't think we are even allowed to flash are gun to scare him off either.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Does physical force become deadly force when you start to bleed? Sheesh!

Quote Originally Posted by mi2az View Post
    It's funny, the same exact scenario was mention in my CCW class. Your stuck in traffic, can't move forward or backward and a guy comes at your car with a crowbar, the instructor told us the guy is using "PHYSICAL FORCE" and not "DEADLY FORCE" and we could be prosecuted if we shoot, if the guy is breaking into the car. I don't think we are even allowed to flash are gun to scare him off either.
    Thats why I made sure he saw my movement and realized that continuing towards my vehicle wasnt the most "healthy" course of action. Here in GA, "Deadly Force" can be in "Defense from a Forcible Felony" or "Defense of Habitation".

Defense from a forcible felony; A person is justified in using force which may harm or kill only if he or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent death or great bodily injury to himself or herself or a third person or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony. You are not justified if you were the aggressor or you are/were/on-the-way-to committing a felony. (The state has pre-empted local cities and counties from further restricting this defense.)(16-3-21)

I find what your instructor said unbelievable. A guy is coming at you/your car with a crowbar/hammer/tire iron, etc, and he thinks that not a righteous shoot?

Just when does it become a "good" shoot according to him? After you're on the ground bleeding from a blunt force trauma to the head?
    Bitter and clinging to my guns and my religion.

Below is probably the example you are thinking of. It came from the AZ CCW Instructors Manual (2005). In this case, the guy has no weapon. In your case the crow bar, I believe would be considered a deadly weapon. IANAL.

EXAMPLE: You are driving to work when a bearded, filthy-looking man in a VW microbus starts honking at you. The man violently shakes his fist at you. His eyes are red. He follows you through heavy traffic, and runs a red light to keep "on your tail." Suddenly, you find yourself caught in heavy traffic behind a red light. There are cars on your left and cars on your right. You cannot drive forward, to the left, to the right, or to the rear. The man in the VW jumps from his vehicle and runs up to your car door. He begins beating on the driver's window and windshield with his fists. You pull your gun and display it or point it at him!
    Congratulations, you have just committed aggravated assault. You lost your cool. You did not look to see if the man had a club, knife, or any weapon. You were watching his dirty, bearded, terribly contorted face, instead of scanning for weapons? By producing your gun before you had the right to use it, you risked escalating the situation, and you lost the tactical advantage of surprise. You should have kept an eye on the man's hands, scanned for weapons, had your gun at the ready but hidden from view, and prepared to speed away when traffic began to move.
    The police arrive on the scene, but you are lucky. They do not charge you, and they tell you to drive away NOW! Do it!

Who thinks a crowbar in the side of the head, cannot be deadly ?

Approach a police car menacingly with a crowbar in your hand and see what it gets you.

A crowbar, hammer, baseball bat, or anything similar is a deadly weapon. At least in Ohio, using one of those things to put somebody in reasonable fear of life and limb is grounds to respond with deadly force, without retreat, if in home or automobile. If elsewhere, you must retreat IF you can do so in perfect safety. Either way, the person wielding the crowbar is saying to you loud and clear, "Shoot me!"

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    An instructor who does not realize a crowbar, tire tool, bat,etc is a deadly weapon should not be teaching the course IMO.

Regards,
    Jerry

Great work!
    Randy
    "The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down". -unknown

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    Yup, a crowbar in Texas would be justifiable from what I read... I am reasonably sure I could kill someone with a crowbar, so it is reasonable for me to assume that someone else could kill me with a crowbar... I say Good on ya, I would have likely done the same.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links