Should one have to take a class prior to obtaining a concealed weapons permit?

This is a discussion on Should one have to take a class prior to obtaining a concealed weapons permit? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just a quick poll sparked by another discussion ("which states require a class"). In my opinion, a 4-8 hr class is important. It does not ...

View Poll Results: Should a class be required?

Voters
515. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and you need to pass a test

293 56.89%
  • Yes, but no test

41 7.96%
  • No, but I think a voluntary class would be good.

123 23.88%
  • No.

58 11.26%
Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Should one have to take a class prior to obtaining a concealed weapons permit?

Just a quick poll sparked by another discussion ("which states require a class"). In my opinion, a 4-8 hr class is important. It does not present a significant hurdle to gun ownership and use compared to the good it does in protecting gun owners and their surrounding.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

For us gun enthusiasts this is just another excuse to get some training, why not do it? If you truly believe in SD this should not be objectionable. Plus if you are ever involved in a shooting your defense attorney can prove that you have training.
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

No class has worked quite well for WA, and nothing substantial suggests that classes prepare someone any better. It also seems, talking to some people, that taking the class makes them think that further practice in unnecessary. And lastly, the biggest problem for any gun problems is bad judgment and not lack of knowledge, and no class can fix that.
    http://www.myspace.com/sgeringer
    SIG SP2009<>XD45 4"<>S&W 638-3<>GLOCK20<>Mossberg Mav88

VIP Member
    I voted "No, but I think a voluntary class would be good.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I voted "yes", with a test. If nothing more than hammering in those 4 rules, it just might help to promote responsible gun ownership, and help to save lives, especially from stupidity.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

One should be familiar with not only with proper and safe gun handling practices, but also the current laws of the state in which the license is issued in, as well as the laws of any states they will be carrying in.

A responsible CC'er should stay informed of the current laws at all times.
    I'm clinging to my guns and religion.

I guess I must have misread 2A...I missed the part about the testing.

I believe it's the RKBA (Right to Keep & Bear Arms), not RKBA-IYPAT (Right to Keep & Bear Arms If You Pass a test).

But then who am I...

Stay armed...Be careful what you ask for....stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I guess I must have misread 2A...I missed the part about the testing.

I believe it's the RKBA (Right to Keep & Bear Arms), not RKBA-IYPAT (Right to Keep & Bear Arms If You Pass a test).

But then who am I...

Stay armed...Be careful what you ask for....stay safe!
    You are not alone. Voted "NO".
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Senior Member Array Hydrashok Glock's Avatar
    Absolutly, i believe honestly that if you are a person who looks to a firearm for a form of protection you would wantto have that higher form of training. But that is me personally.
    The choices you make today define you of who you are tommorow

When you see the light at the end of the tunnel your life is not over..... it is just about to begin

COPS Protective Services

I voted yes, with passing a test. I feel strong about training and demonstrating what you learned. Using a firearm is a serious business and there is not such a thing as too much training.

"Keep the saw sharpened..."
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Yes, and you need to pass a test
    My vote, and I'll stick with it. Make my stand or whatever. In my opinion, those states that require no formal class, training, or qualifications are ultimately hurting the CCW citizen. More ammo for the anti's in my book. We're not talking the constitutional rights here.....responsibility and a little bit of knowledge. Otherwise, our cause looks bad....really bad. How can folks turn the CCW permit, warrants, into a joke? Plain and simple...look toward those states that require nothing in the way of formal training. Some will say that the second amendment alone guarantees their right to carry. How many of them have become martyrs for the cause? I'd like to see some statistics here.

I didn't vote because I feel strongly that a license should not be required in order to carry concealed. There is nothing in 2A that would lead me to conclude that licensing or training is a requirement in order to bear arms. JMO.
    ... whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one. (Luke 22:36b NASB)
    FN Herstal FNP-9, FNP-357, Kahr TP45
    Ruger LCP, S&W 22a
    http://revderb.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by RevDerb View Post
    I didn't vote because I feel strongly that a license should not be required in order to carry concealed. There is nothing in 2A that would lead me to conclude that licensing or training is a requirement in order to bear arms. JMO.
    So you're more than comfortable with Bubba, and Bubbette carrying weapons? I'm not trying to make a point, but just maybe, there ought to be a shadow of a doubt. Not saying the government should be the best judge of that, but............................................... ..........................

I've seen the outlines of a class and a large portion includes stuff like basic firearm care/cleaning, types of firearms/holsters, etc. To me that's pointless. If the classes were standardized to include hammering points of law, situational examples, and a test that would disqualify people who can't shoot worth a darn or didn't truly comprehend the relevant material I'd be more for them. As of now, most of what they really accomplish is collecting more $$$ from applicants.

VIP Member
    I thought that going through the Texas CHL booklet, law by law, and going over: a) avoiding conflict, deescalation; b) lawful use of lethal force, were invaluable. I'd like to see some gun safety added to the course (at least for newbes) and maybe some more "combat" oriented instruction--perhaps including a more dynamic range test.

As usual, we get what we pay for, and there is only so much that can be done with an affordable course, and therein lies the dilemma.

Lots of the professions have continuing education requirements, and one way to keep the immediate cost of licensing down would be to require additional training over time; though that doesn't really solve the problem of unaware and untrained folks carrying.

We have probably hit a fair compromise here with the 10-15 hour course. It is far from what could be done, perhaps should be done, but it is reasonable.

(It bothers me that a relative in WA has had absolutely no training, and is likely quite unaware of lots of issues that are brought up in class and often discussed here. I worry about him for this reason.)

Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links