USC Football Coach Pete Carroll's "unarmed naivete" on 60 Minutes...

This is a discussion on USC Football Coach Pete Carroll's "unarmed naivete" on 60 Minutes... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not sure if this is the correct way to discuss in a thread. I saw a very good report on University of Southern California football ...

Thread: USC Football Coach Pete Carroll's "unarmed naivete" on 60 Minutes...

Not sure if this is the correct way to discuss in a thread.

I saw a very good report on University of Southern California football coach Pete Carroll on CBS' "60 Minutes" program recently aired.

Link: Pete Carroll's Winning Coaching Style

When the segment turned to focus on the coach's efforts to reduce gang violence by prowling late at night to meet hardened gang members belonging to Crips (without bodyguards at 1 am in the morning as reporter narrated), I felt kind of aghast that 60 Minutes failed to mention whether he carry concealed or not. Perhaps he carry concealed in secret. Perhaps not at all.

Pete Carroll's humanitarian work, aside from superlative college football coaching, is commendable in reducing unlawful gang activity & violence and putting forth the effort to improve community relations by encouraging former gang members to participate in football.

I assume Pete goes out late at night unarmed.

If so, that would be astounding. In L.A. County?

I knew a woman who works in Accessibility Services Department at a well-known college in Utah. She told me she moved to Utah from Pasadena, CA because of unreasonable gun control law on concealed carry, etc. She felt much safer in Utah with her son as a single mother.

I do not know a way to contact Pete Carroll and encourage him to take concealed & tactical firearm training course to receive the concealed carry license. He's a wealthy man who earns $4m in coaching salary annually, yet goes out at night looking to make friends with gang members fresh out of prison at personal risk of his life and limb?

60 Minutes report sort of makes me happy about community improvement work in violence and poverty reduction, while sort of dismaying shaking my head in disbelief about Pete's peculiar attitude that borders on naivete, at least living and traveling in L.A. County...unarmed.

I thought most wealthy men have good reputation and connection to obtain the concealed permit the easy way without hoops as average L.A. County residents have to go through. Pete should not be exception to the rule. I'd like to see him be alert, trained and armed, unless he's the other way around like these Brady people.

Edit: I left a comment on 60 Minutes article on Mr. Carroll. I hope CBS, notorious for its anti-gun rights mentality, don't object and delete.

Pete Carroll's humanitarian work is commendable, but I find his prowling late at night without a bodyguard and unarmed questionable at best and naive at worst.

Pete, I encourage you to learn concealed carry by taking firearm training class in carry and tactical and receive a concealed firearm license. Because you're wealthy and connected with impeccable reputation, the process will be much easier in L.A. County. Lose anti-gun attitude because it doesn't help prepare you for the unforeseeable. Take self-protection seriously.

Ask your friends who are law enforcement officers to give you pointers.

Sincerely, Utah residential concealed carry permit holder.
    Last edited by cyberdogg; December 15th, 2008 at 02:35 AM. Reason: addition, correction

Cyberdogg - USC = University Of Southern California.

And I agree with you about him walking around USC or even in LA in general at night. It's just plain stupid. The area around USC is an area I wouldn't want to live in to put it mildly. A old white guy walking around at 1 AM wanting to be a gangbanger's friend? Yikes!
    Bitter and clinging to my guns and my religion.

I don't put alot of faith in much that 60 Minutes has to say about anything. Anything can be edited in or out of what they say. Hell, he may have had four 6'6" 280lb. body guards with him.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckE View Post
    Cyberdogg - USC = University Of Southern California.
    Ah, I realize the error. UCLA and USC.

Edited the original post for correction. Sorry about the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpetop View Post
    I don't put alot of faith in much that 60 Minutes has to say about anything. Anything can be edited in or out of what they say. Hell, he may have had four 6'6" 280lb. body guards with him.
    Yeah, CBS is staunchly anti-gun like every major media outlet in New York City.

There's a dumb New York Times editorial decrying President Bush's midnight regulation that allows concealed carry in national parks with the fear-mongering claim "we don't feel safer!"

Katie Couric's Notebook (soapbox editorial) on highlighting the need for gun control after the horrific VT massacre in "gun-free zone" is aggravating. YouTube video link.

Hypothetically, if Pete Carroll confirms he carries concealed when the reporter asked a question about the potential danger of going out late at night, the producers of the segment would edit the mention out not for his safety in ensuring a little more privacy (it might be a plausible excuse) but to discourage a positive afterthought on gun rights in bearing "lawfully owned" arms for "legitimate" self-defense.

I admit to going out late at night walking the streets in Chatsworth (northwest of LA metropolitan area) when I lived with an aunt for a few months in the first half of 1999 and again briefly in 2000. I was about 20 and quite naive about the danger because I may not have read local newspapers and watch tv news reporting on gun violence.

Thank goodness I got out 'alive'. Never been back to CA for extended stay since.

Except for a brief two-day period working the convention in Anaheim in '03 and again in San Francisco (I had a weird experience walking the street at night in encounters but that's another story) in 2004. Convention staffing was business as usual (even though I find abrasive union workers difficult to deal with in terms of paying exorbitant fees for easy transport), but being disarmed as a non-resident don't feel normal.

My aunt lived in a condo nearby (less than half a mile) when the postman was murdered by a deluded Neo-Nazi nut in 1999. She told me she overheard the two neighboring residents' frightened attitude concerning the bizarre, motiveless murder of the postman in conversation by the pool one spring day in '00.

The "funniest" comment I caught is in comment section to 60 Minutes article.

"Byron, Byron, Byron, [reporter] what a surprising story! I am jealous. There was a time the one in the rough neighborhoods late at night encouraging the people to a new life was the preacher. Now it is the winning football coach. We all need a good life coach. Coach Pete is transforming Los Angeles. I am inspired again. I was a part of transforming Boston from a very violent, gang ridden city - to one of more peace and safety. The number of violent crimes is rising again. I think I''ll take a page from Pete Carroll''s play book and head to the streets again. jmborders3"

Such attitude is jaw-droppingly stupid. Gun control groups prefer sheeple. An unarmed, peace-minded "Pete Carroll wannabe" community volunteer person versus an armed gangbanger who see him to be an easy victim to mug or woman to molest. They don't know this world is still rife with evil as the ex-Marine retired LEO explained in CFL class:

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.

- Albert Einstein

Sounds like he's recruiting. Looking for the next OJ.

GO HUSKERS!!

The other possibility, if he is walking around in a gangs territory talking to gang members to straighten out their life, unarmed, unprotected, and immune to assault because he befriended someone in the hood that has made it perfectly clear that if anything happens to him or his property, you will answer to me.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I noticed there were men standing around him (that didnt blend) they might have been security. I also agree he could be protected there is such a thing as honor among thieves.

I saw this too and my first thought was...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_White_Shadow

And agreed he's nuts but he's got balls.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

"I do not know a way to contact Pete Carroll and encourage him to take concealed & tactical firearm training course to receive the concealed carry license."

Chances of a citizen obtaining a CCW permit in LA. county are just about zip. 9 and 1/2 million people... Only 1,200 permits with most of them issued to reserve LEO.

Quote Originally Posted by snakatack View Post
    Chances of a citizen obtaining a CCW permit in LA. county are just about zip. 9 and 1/2 million people... Only 1,200 permits with most of them issued to reserve LEO.
    I know. As aforesaid, Pete Carroll is so wealthy and famous he could qualify for a license. I know this is unfair to the average citizens, but it's California after all. (Outside of rural counties, of course)

If I am not mistaken, Slyvester Stallone and James Cameron (yes, that film director) are two of the numerous celebrities residing in L.A. County (Malibu, Beverly Hills and upscale communities) who are licensed to carry concealed, unless their permits lapse.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdogg View Post
    I know. As aforesaid, Pete Carroll is so wealthy and famous he could qualify for a license. I know this is unfair to the average citizens, but it's California after all. (Outside of rural counties, of course)

If I am not mistaken, Slyvester Stallone and James Cameron (yes, that film director) are two of the numerous celebrities residing in L.A. County (Malibu, Beverly Hills and upscale communities) who are licensed to carry concealed, unless their permits lapse.
    A measley four million a year doesn't put him that high up on the totem pole among the rich and famous of LA. Nor would it insure a LA issued CCW.

Quote Originally Posted by snakatack View Post
    A measley four million a year doesn't put him that high up on the totem pole among the rich and famous of LA. Nor would it insure a LA issued CCW.
    Income from the university is not where the real income is at. The real income is in endorsements and outside engagements plus tons of other contingency bonuses attached to all of the above.

Sponsored Links