Clarification on CC on school property (VA)

This is a discussion on Clarification on CC on school property (VA) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Reading the VA codes, it prohibits carrying a frirearm on school property in paragraph one. In paragraph two, it thens talks about not being able ...

Thread: Clarification on CC on school property (VA)

Reading the VA codes, it prohibits carrying a frirearm on school property in paragraph one. In paragraph two, it thens talks about not being able to carry on school property when it is dedicated to a school function. So, my question is, is CC prohibited at all times on school property, regardless of whether or not school is in session (e.g., during weekends or holidays)? Specifically, my kids have recreation league games (sponsored by the county Parks and Recs, not the school) on weekends at the school property (fields and gym). Can I carry (per paragraph two since it's not dedicated to a school function), or is it not allowed at all (per paragraph one)?

CC is not allowed on school property except for one exception - if you have a CHP and keep the gun concealed while you are in your vehicle in the school's parking lot or area of ingress/egress.

Its an exception for people with CHP's that drive their kids to school and pick them up. It MUST stay concealed and you MUST stay in the car.

School property is 24-7-365, and a no-go for CCW. ProShooter is correct on the "drop off /pick up lane" allowance. My son goes to an elementary school that is also a city park. I can carry in the park, but not at the school, so I can't carry there period.
    You'll rock, with a 357 Glock

Thanks for the clarification.

So, the second paragraph is intended for school functions at someplace other than school property (e.g., a park)?

A second toward Pro Shooter being absolutely correct.
    IIRC VA amended their rule to allow as much back in '03 or so following much public pressure from parents who have need to drop off/pickup their children and who carry.

And as noted by Spike where there is a school function taking place that area/facility then becomes a virtual school ground. Be it a park, school repurposed building (long term or temporary), etc. As I believe this latter item is the case in most all states.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Not on school property, but colleges are a go.

Janq wrote, "And as noted by Spike where there is a school function taking place that area/facility then becomes a virtual school ground." I'll offer one addition to that. If the facility is dedicated solely to the school function then any carry is a violation. If the facility is open to other uses, and users, at the same time as the school function then carry is lawful, open or CCW.

Several fast food places in our town support school activities by having a particular night in the month when a portion of the profits are donated to the school being supported that night. Lots of kids and their families show up and make an evening of it. Everyone's gotta eat some place. The business is still open to other customers who know nothing of the deal with the school (and sometimes regret the noise they've entered!) Carry is lawful in that situation, but of course, open carry will possibly get you some undesired attention from the kids and parents.

CCW hasn't been a problem for me yet at the place that supports my son's private christian school. I'm sure that at least a few of the faculty at the school know I carry, but they've never said a word. We met them in Ruby Tuesday (MUST open carry according to VA law) one Sunday lunchtime and shared a long conversation and then were seated at adjacent tables and I didn't try to hide. I guess they're okay with it.
    The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.

George Washington

Good point of note Woodstock. ^^

For example if school kids are doing caroling at an otherwise public access public center, then those grounds do not become school rules applicable.
    When i spoke to function I meant in a greater than temporary (for the hour a few hours) capacity.
    Again though good point of clarity so that others might not become confused.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Thanks all! I appreciate the clarification.

Sorry for the hijack.

What about the 1000' in that rule. Would that also come into play?

Sponsored Links