VA Hospital...Federal Property

This is a discussion on VA Hospital...Federal Property within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to visit my father today, who was just taken to the VA hospital. I didn't even think it might be off limits so ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: VA Hospital...Federal Property

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar

I went to visit my father today, who was just taken to the VA hospital. I didn't even think it might be off limits so I was carrying my XD9. I was planning to leave the gun in the car since most hospitals here are signed.

When I drove onto the property I saw a sign (with words too small to read) that seemed like it was an Federal property weapons warning. Indeed, when I drove closer and read the sign it was two USSC laws that prohibit weapons.

Since I wanted to visit my father, I tossed the gun in the weeds to be retrieved later. Just kidding. I drove home and returned a bit later, clean, legal and ill prepared.

VA = The United States Department of Veterans Affairs = Federal Government agency and property

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I deal with that issue two or three times a year when I go to the VA for treatment. I just park across the street at another doctors office, no problem.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Funny how all the patients there were issued weapons during their service...
    gigamortis and Buckj like this.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    I can't speak for the Army, Navy and Marines, but in the AF it is a very small percentage of individuals who are issued weapons. Security Police, Flight Crew Members, and a few other select career fields. All personnel were required to qualify, but would only be issued a weapon in case of deployment to a actual combat zone.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; December 16th, 2008 at 01:27 AM. Reason: Fixed quote tags
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    The building is:
    -owned or leased by the federal government
    -federal employees regularly go there as a part of their official duties

therefore it is a 'federal facility' and carry is prohibited.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

I haven't noticed any of the signs at the VA in Kansas City but they do have a clearing barrell right outside the ER entrance
    Give me my guns and my right to keep and bear arms, and they can keep their change.

Funny how the U.S. Constitution gives us the right to keep and bear arms, and the main place that right is denied for everyone is on any property of our own government created by that constitution.

What a country.

- OS
    MleeC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OhShoot View Post
    Funny how the U.S. Constitution gives us the right to keep and bear arms, and the main place that right is denied for everyone is on any property of our own government created by that constitution.

What a country.

- OS
    Ironies; don't you just love'em?

I'll tell you what though, without the VA, yours truly wouldn't be here today. I'm one grateful vet.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by J man View Post
    I haven't noticed any of the signs at the VA in Kansas City but they do have a clearing barrell right outside the ER entrance
    Now, THAT'S interesting! Was it marked as such OR could it have been there so incoming folks could dispose of their cigarettes before entering the building?

Oh, you were being humorous? Okay, I bit!

Quote Originally Posted by KenInColo View Post
    Ironies; don't you just love'em?

I'll tell you what though, without the VA, yours truly wouldn't be here today. I'm one grateful vet.
    Good for you sir...very good.

- OS

Quote Originally Posted by Captain38 View Post
    Now, THAT'S interesting! Was it marked as such OR could it have been there so incoming folks could dispose of their cigarettes before entering the building?

Oh, you were being humorous? Okay, I bit!
    I'm am serious, it's a red 55 gallon drum set on about a 45 degree angle, filled with sand and rocks, it has a metal shield that covers the bung hole on the barrel and you rotate the shield to gain access to clear your firearm.

It has been awhile since I have been there but I believe the sign on top of the barrell reads

Please clear all firearms before entering the building
    Give me my guns and my right to keep and bear arms, and they can keep their change.

I'm sorry to revive this old thread, but I beg to differ with the notion that 18 USC 930 disallows possession in the parking lot of a VA Hospital.

18 USC § 930 - Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities | LII / Legal Information Institute

It states, in part, "(a) Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility), or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both."

Okay, a Federal facility" is off-limits, but what is a "Federal facility"?

Section (g) (1) says, in part, "The term “Federal facility” means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties."

So, the building is clearly off-limits, but the parking lot? I simply don't see that possession is disallowed there, at least not by 18 USC 930.

Comments appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by OhShoot View Post
    Probably the greatest sign of how afraid of an aroused and motivated citizenry the separate entity of 'government' has actually become. No other explanation for it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by bulge707 View Post
    I'm sorry to revive this old thread, but I beg to differ with the notion that 18 USC 930 disallows possession in the parking lot of a VA Hospital.

18 USC § 930 - Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities | LII / Legal Information Institute

It states, in part, "(a) Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility), or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both."

Okay, a Federal facility" is off-limits, but what is a "Federal facility"?

Section (g) (1) says, in part, "The term “Federal facility” means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties."

So, the building is clearly off-limits, but the parking lot? I simply don't see that possession is disallowed there, at least not by 18 USC 930.

Comments appreciated.
    You must also look at Title 38 CFR Section 1.218, which states:
    (13) Weapons and explosives. No person while on property shall carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, except for official purposes.
    Note the word "property". I think that encompasses a greater area than facility.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links