Carrying in Minnesota university campuses?

This is a discussion on Carrying in Minnesota university campuses? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was looking through some past posts and looked at the handgunlaw.us site and it appears that people with valid CCW can carry on campus. ...

Thread: Carrying in Minnesota university campuses?

Carrying in Minnesota university campuses?

I was looking through some past posts and looked at the handgunlaw.us site and it appears that people with valid CCW can carry on campus. Can anyone provide additional information on this?
    I am thinking about going back to school for graduate work and this would change where I go to school.

Thank you in advance.
    It is not "might OF", it is "might HAVE". It is not "could OF", it is "could HAVE". Go spread the word.

2. Remove Ads

Soildgun,
    This site will answer some of you questions about Minnesota.

Permit to Carry Frequently Asked Questions

Note #24 3rd down. You will want to contact The U of M. I'm pretty sure the U does NOT allow student to carry.

TB

It's legal; although, against school policy. Basically, you'd just get expelled if found.
    Minnesota Statute 624.714:
    Subd. 18.Employers; public colleges and universities.

(a) An employer, whether public or private, may establish policies that restrict the carry or possession of firearms by its employees while acting in the course and scope of employment. Employment related civil sanctions may be invoked for a violation.

(b) A public postsecondary institution regulated under chapter 136F or 137 may establish policies that restrict the carry or possession of firearms by its students while on the institution's property. Academic sanctions may be invoked for a violation.

(c) Notwithstanding paragraphs (a) and (b), an employer or a postsecondary institution may not prohibit the lawful carry or possession of firearms in a parking facility or parking area.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    There are several errors on handgunlaw.us as I've stated in the past. Always check your state's website for accurate information or write your State Attorney Generals office. Handgunlaw.us is a private site and the information is not always current nor complete.

Hijack not intended, just wanted to help clarify your resource.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Rudy is correct. Legal yes but the UofM would have non-legal means to make your life difficult so it is a choice.

I can since I don't work or go to school there any more
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

My wife is a professor at another state University here in MN, so I did the research before we moved here. It is clearly NOT illegal for either students or university employees to carry on campus, but it is equally clear that students will be expelled, and employees will be fired if they are caught carrying.

Of course, as the spouse of a professor, I am neither a student nor an employee, so I am always carrying when visiting my wife on campus...

The one bright spot about MN law is that it explicitly states that parking lots are OK, so you are definitely alright carrying to & from campus, so long as you leave it in your car. Of course, you will probably still be in trouble if you are discovered in your car on campus with a firearm so I'd do your best to remain unseen even in your car. I assume you have neither the money nor the desire to spend time in court to get re-instated in school after being expelled for being seen with a gun in your car in the parking lot...
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    Rcher,

I am interested in any errors you know about on Handgunlaw.us. If there are errors I want to fix them. Please let me know what errors you know about.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Quote Originally Posted by dang.45 View Post
    My wife is a professor at another state University here in MN, so I did the research before we moved here. It is clearly NOT illegal for either students or university employees to carry on campus, but it is equally clear that students will be expelled, and employees will be fired if they are caught carrying.

Of course, as the spouse of a professor, I am neither a student nor an employee, so I am always carrying when visiting my wife on campus...

The one bright spot about MN law is that it explicitly states that parking lots are OK, so you are definitely alright carrying to & from campus, so long as you leave it in your car. Of course, you will probably still be in trouble if you are discovered in your car on campus with a firearm so I'd do your best to remain unseen even in your car. I assume you have neither the money nor the desire to spend time in court to get re-instated in school after being expelled for being seen with a gun in your car in the parking lot...
    This seems to be to be a great step towards safety to and from ANY school...too bad it couldn't be that way everywhere.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    No hijack intended, but that is the way Oklahoma and Texas law reads so far as campus carry -- in a parked car is OK, which allows for carry to and from.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Links