Unclear about No Carry signs

This is a discussion on Unclear about No Carry signs within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I see several folk posting that the signs at stores saying you can't carry means nothing. In Mississippi the law says: In addition to the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I see several folk posting that the signs at stores saying you can't carry means nothing. In Mississippi the law says:
    In addition to the places enumerated in this subsection, the carrying of a concealed pistol or revolver may be disallowed in any place in the discretion of the person or entity exercising control over the physical location of such place by the placing of a written notice clearly readable at a distance of not less than ten (10) feet that the "carrying of a pistol or revolver is prohibited."
    Are signs not addressed at all in your laws? OR does it not count unless it is the exact word "carrying of a pistol or revelver is prohibited"?

wpk
    It depends on which state you live in. In Ohio you must honor the signs or be guilty of criminal trespass. Some states you can walk right past them and they're only there to make the sheep feel better. Only answer I can give for you is to look up the laws for your own state. Handgunlaw.us
    "America is a nation of laws; poorly written and randomly enforced." -Frank Zappa

“Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.” -Denis Diderot

As with many things, it varies by state. Based on your quote, Mississippi law clearly allows for signs that prohibit concealed carry. Some states are very specific about exactly how the 'No carry' sign must be printed and/or posted. So sometimes people find that while a sign exists it does not comply with the state law so they feel that they can ignore it. Personally I have no experience with this because Florida law has no provision for 'No Carry' signs at all. So any sign that I might encounter doesn't really mean much and I can legally ignore it.

Brian

VIP Member
    Washington RCW contains no provisions for signs. It is not illegal to carry in posted places (other than those illegal by law). You will run afoul of the law if you are discovered, are asked to leave, then refuse to do so; not for carrying a gun, but for refusing to leave.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

VIP Member
    Varies from state to state. Here in VA if posted and your caught carrying you can be arrested for criminal trespassing. If not posted and your found carrying all they can do is ask you to leave. If you refuse it becomes criminal trespassing.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    In Texas, the sign must meet the exact specifications given in the law or it is not valid; you must leave if asked to leave.

It is my practice to obey signs that are not legit. I'll go elsewhere if possible, but if I must enter I will obey the ghost buster sign even though it is legal to ignore it.

Why? Courtesy. The property owner has made their wish known. Of course, I don't shop in such places unless there is no choice.

The one exception I will make is the bank with ghost buster signs. I go there because a different bank posts the 30.06 sign.

At the time Florida came out with their CCL laws counties in the past had been allowed to issue. Some via the Sheriffs-Police department, and some by City Hall; with each having their own set of rules.

So to make sure the state had one set of rules, Florida’s CCL laws, prohibit local hindrance, or changes to the state law, and it prohibits them from issuing a CCL.

The property owner has the right to ask you to leave, and if you don’t then you can be charged with trespassing with a firearm.

However, concealed is concealed, and while some venues, like “concerts” will try and stop you from caring a pistol in, so long as they don’t catch you, and ask you to leave, you’ve violated no law.

In NC, if you are "made" in a business with the "BG WELCOME!!" (no firearms) sign, all they can do ask you to leave. If you refuse, you can be charged with with misdemeanor trespassing. No firearms violation.
    NC CCH Instructor, NRA Instructor
    NRA
    GOA
    Beretta 96 Brigadier
    Kimber Pro Eclipse II 1911
    Taurus PT1911

PA is another state where signs have no legal bearing. the only places that are off limits by law are dertermined byt the stae: courthouses, jails, and stuff like that. the malls and banks can put up as many signs as they want, and i'm still going to ignore them. if requested, however, i must leave the property. if i don't, i could be charged with disorderly conduct and trespassing.

in Texas you must honor the signs if they are printed and displayed correctly.
    i live in Austin and i have never seen any here yet.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

This is what Oklahoma Law says.

TITLE 21 § 1290.22. Business owner’s rights
    BUSINESS OWNER’S RIGHTS
    A. Except as provided in subsection B of this section, nothing contained in
    any provision of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, Section 1290.1 et
    seq. of this title, shall be construed to limit, restrict or prohibit in any
    manner the existing rights of any person, property owner, tenant,
    employer, or business entity to control the possession of weapons on
    any property owned or controlled by the person or business entity.

It does not describe a punishment for violating this statute. Does anyone know or have an idea?
    Is this similiar to some other states that you can only be charged if you refuse to leave the property after being "made"?
    The Second Amendment ...... Because crime SHOULD be a hazardous occupation.

If you want to piss off a conservative, lie to him.
    If you want to piss off a liberal, tell him the truth.

If they have a sign what difference does it make if it has to be written a certain way, just don't go in take your money elsewhere.
    We want everyone to respect our right to carry so why not respect their right over their property.

Quote Originally Posted by gotammo View Post
    If they have a sign what difference does it make if it has to be written a certain way, just don't go in take your money elsewhere.
    We want everyone to respect our right to carry so why not respect their right over their property.
    I agree and that is what I do, but at least in Texas if the sign is not posted by the letter of the law it holds no actual weight. Now if the owner/manager asks/tells you to leave and you don't then you are trespassing.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

VIP Member

Only the 30.06

Quote Originally Posted by stormbringerr View Post
    in Texas you must honor the signs if they are printed and displayed correctly.
    i live in Austin and i have never seen any here yet.
    In TX, ONLY the 30.06 sign properly printed and displayed must be obeyed. Few places display them, and fewer still get it right.

There are two other forms of sign which must be observed: 1) signs about the unlicensed carriage on the premises (not applicable to CHL holders); and 2) the "51" sign. I have NEVER seen a 51 sign because I don't go to places like that .

With one exception, hadn't seen the signs anywhere in South Mississippi.

The one I did see, which was brought to my attention on an open carry forum was at a big chain supermarket. Went to check it out (about 8 miles from the house and two stores removed from my neighborhood so I don't shop there anyway). Didn't comply with state law so I didn't pay any attention to it. Simply a silhoutte of a handgun with the universal "NO" (red circle/slash).

Posters on the other forum stated they spoke to flunky store manager that blamed NOLA regional office, but none of the other stores in our area have the sign, so I suspect some rogue manager or employee stuck on the glass.

I do comply with the coliseum/convention center that has signs that state "no weapons allowed" (because of metal detectors, hand-held scanners and the risk of search) and of course, I don't carry in the post office. Otherwise, if it is not posted as required by Mississippi code, I ignore it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links