CC/SC CC law question

This is a discussion on CC/SC CC law question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been extended a invitation to attend a job fair for a company at a hotel and I am thinking of CC while at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CC/SC CC law question

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar

CC/SC CC law question

I have been extended a invitation to attend a job fair for a company at a hotel and I am thinking of CC while at the fair as I will be going out of town after to head to my fiancee's parents in TX for christmas and I will be wearing a suit and tie and my XD service model will be in a IWB holster and so I have two questions should I just leave the weapon in the car and arm up when I leave or take it in with me. And the next is it legal for me to carry in a hotel if there is not a sign posted at the door?
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

2. Remove Ads

I am sure you can CC in a hotel, but I would be damn sure that if cc'ing, there is no chance of exposing in the interview when job fairing. Usually those job fairs are a quick talk, load the resume in their system.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

I am pretty sure it is legal but you never know if you will encounter a rabid anti, so with job opportunities at an all time low I would err on the safe side and be unarmed.

Suit and tie?? Plan to keep jacket on? XD in IWB?

Carry and don't sweat it.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

But does stat law prevent from carrying in a hotel for like a job fair?

Legal but Prudent?

Yes it should be legal. However legal doesn't mean it is the correct thing to do. For the job fair I lean with mi2az and SCfromNY (maybe because I'm from NY too). I assume you will have a suit jacket and might wind up having to sit somewhere and even if there is a less than 1% chance of the gun being exposed or even print (SC is not real strict about printing) but this is a job fair with some libs bound to be in attendance. Your suit might not be the best CC wardrobe then you'll have some explaining to do, especially to the company that asked you to attend. Not good PR either.
    You could kiss your job chances goodbye .. maybe for a long time too as you'll be exposed to different companies. Maybe if it was just your decision to go it might be different.
    I just don't see a compelling reason to CC at a job fair weighing all the issues. Yeah I know I might get some heat for saying that but I feel in this case it is the prudent thing to do. I say keep it in your car for your trip.

Not sure if the hotel is considered a publicly owned building.
    Any doubt leave it out! (Too many OJ trials.)
    Check out this info from SLED:

SECTION 16-23-420. Carrying or displaying firearms in public buildings or areas adjacent thereto.

(A) It is unlawful for a person to possess a firearm of any kind on any premises or property owned, operated, or controlled by a private or public school, college, university, technical college, other post secondary institution, or in any publicly-owned building, without the express permission of the authorities in charge of the premises or property.

(B) It is unlawful for a person to enter the premises or property described in subsection (A) and to display, brandish, or threaten others with a firearm.

(C) A person who violates the provisions of this section is guilty of a felony and, upon conviction, must be fined not more than five thousand dollars or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.
    Last edited by jframe38; December 16th, 2008 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Add SLED Info

Concealed means concealed. I would carry and especially if you are going to be in the Myrtle Beach area. Crime has really taken off around here, robberies, home invasions, assaults.

no going to be in the sumter area

If it were me, I'd leave the gun in the car. There is too much at stake.... Finding a good job these days is very difficult, why take the chance?
    Kimber UC II
    SA XD-45 SC
    1948 16g Remington Model 24
    Mossberg .410g shottie

good point

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer Glide View Post
    Concealed means concealed. I would carry and especially if you are going to be in the Myrtle Beach area. Crime has really taken off around here, robberies, home invasions, assaults.
    Hey Geez it's not just our area it's all over thanks to the economy. My son lives in the Greenville, Simpsonville area and it seems everyday he got a story. There also there seems to be a trend of home invasions by the same 3 guys w/guns.

It is legal unless there are the huge gunbuster signs on the doors but I've never seen those at any hotel in the world; put that worry to bed. Now, decide if you are going to be preoccupied by your XD while interviewing b/c if you think it will effect your focus at all LEAVE IT. If leaving it will effect your focus on the interview CARRY IT. Best of luck.

I have been carrying for a little over six months and I now start to feel naked but I make it thru it but I just am afraid of my jacket rising up when I go to shake hands and being made. But normally it does not affect my focus of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by tabraha View Post
    It is legal unless there are the huge gunbuster signs on the doors but I've never seen those at any hotel in the world; put that worry to bed. Now, decide if you are going to be preoccupied by your XD while interviewing b/c if you think it will effect your focus at all LEAVE IT. If leaving it will effect your focus on the interview CARRY IT. Best of luck.
    I totally agree, if you are going to be distracted by it, leave it in the car and chill for the interviews.

I went to a job fair a few months ago, CC'd under a vest and jacket. It was a crowded and HOT room. So I took my jacket off and carried it over my right arm, over my IWB 1911, in case anybody bumped into me.
    I wasn't expecting to be "frisked" for an interview. (I was hoping to frisk someone for a job.)
    Anyhow, it was nobody's business that I was carrying, and it should be nobody's business that you are carrying either.

Do what you are comfortable doing.

I hope you get a job.
    I've been unemployed now for over 10 months. It can be scary, but we have been well cared for by God.
    I'm planning now to partner with a friend, and go into business our selves. (I am writing the company manuals! Guess what won't be forbidden. Shhhhhh.)
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    XD45...I thought you were headed to Italy after your commissioning in May??

Rick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links