Never let your guard down...

This is a discussion on Never let your guard down... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Quick story that just happened. It's been snowing here all day and a guy rang the doorbell. Generally anytime I'm not expecting someone and the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Never let your guard down...

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Never let your guard down...

Quick story that just happened.

It's been snowing here all day and a guy rang the doorbell. Generally anytime I'm not expecting someone and the bell rings I generally go right to condition orange. I pull back the curtain of the door, Glock in hand obviously. He was sort of a shady character, but seemingly nice and asked if I wanted my walk shoveled. He did have a shovel with snow on it.

In about one second I thought to myself "As soon as I say yes, he could attempt to smack me with the shovel, take my cash, push me in and rob the place etc..."

I jarred the door open just enough to speak to him using my foot at the base of the door to block a potential entry. He asked me again nicely if I wanted my walk shoveled for $5 bucks. I said, no thanks, I have my own, thanks tho. I shut the door.

He left. Never let your guard down, even in seemingly harmless situations. Because thats when you get robbed.

But then again he could have really wanted to shovel my walk for $5 bucks. Guess I'll never know.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    For 5 bucks he could shovel mine anytime he wanted.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

$5 to shovel the snow? Sounds like a good deal to me!

I'd probably have let him shovel the walk. Tis the season...... I can be vigilant and help someone out at the same time.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

The season to shovel

I understand the op's post about never letting the gaurd down. The one time you answer the door thinking oh its just a guy that wants to shovel the walk could be the time a person forces entry. Good job chaecking first and jamming door with the foot.

Straying from topic I generally save the snow shoveling for the younger kids in the neighborhood 15/16 looking is the cut off in my book.

Ya this guy was like 40ish and bum looking.

VIP Member
    Maybe looking for Beer money ?.

VIP Member
    I totally agree about keeping your guard up but I'd have let him shovel especially if he looked like he needed the loot... but that's just me.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

i would have let him shovel it,you could always just tape a 5 note to the outside of your door so he can take it when finished..
    you did well in the way you answered the door.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

I hate when people come to the door unexpected. Its alarming, especially when you live in a remote area and it almost never happens.
    One thing that I would consider, if you have a window in your door. Leave the curtain open enough to see who's there from across the room. I don't like the idea of opening the curtain to a possible muzzle. The stranger sees you the same time you see him. This doesn't give you the opportunity to not be home.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    I hate when people come to the door unexpected. Its alarming, especially when you live in a remote area and it almost never happens.
    One thing that I would consider, if you have a window in your door. Leave the curtain open enough to see who's there from across the room. I don't like the idea of opening the curtain to a possible muzzle. The stranger sees you the same time you see him. This doesn't give you the opportunity to not be home.
    I would, but my door is not visible from the living room. The entry way is it's own room, with its own door. I generally look out the front window to the porch which is aside from my entry way area. So if someone was standing there with a gun, I'd see them without them pointing it at me.

TOF
    Quote Originally Posted by gilliland87 View Post
    I understand the op's post about never letting the gaurd down. The one time you answer the door thinking oh its just a guy that wants to shovel the walk could be the time a person forces entry. Good job chaecking first and jamming door with the foot.

Straying from topic I generally save the snow shoveling for the younger kids in the neighborhood 15/16 looking is the cut off in my book.

If, as indicated, you are in Phoenix Arizona you don't have much need for Snow Shoveling.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

What's snow? And why would you have to shovel your walk.....did someone pour dirt on it??

Went to school today kinda wishing I had put on shorts...... little warm.

Are we that fearful that when someone attempts to make an honest wage to answer the door with Glock in hand? I think if that is the case, then never answer the door. People come up to others and attempt to bum money and they have been cased and most likely robbed. I guess everyone that strolls into my business looking for a job is about to rob me. I just do not get it. I think we all should lock our doors, pull the blinds and keep a Glock in our hands at all times. I don't know how some make it through a day without a nervous breakdown from fear. It is really not that bad. Something must be wrong with me - I am never in condition orange or any other color, I am no more aware of my surroundings than I was 2 years ago or 10 years ago. I generally trust people. If someone wants to approach I never make a stance and shout STOP. I do not judge people as shady - I don't know what their daily wear should be - like mine I guess - I certainly do not know how they are getting by. People are on hard times - people will ask for money, ask for work or just want to shoot the bull. Maybe I am just not fearful enough.

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    I definitely think there is a fine line between paranoia and appropriate situational awareness. Would I have answered with gun in hand? Probably not. Would I have made sure it was within a quick reach if need be...absolutely. We don't really know anyone's intentions, so I think it's wise to not lean too far to either end of the spectrum. I probably would have been alert and a little on the defensive side, but I also wouldn't assume he was there to rob me right away.

All I'm saying is that every situation requires a little bit of analyzation and preparedness.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

If he did gutters I would let him do them in a heartbeat. Sometimes it is very hard to tell peoples intentions. I guess erring on the side of caution is best.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links