South Carolina bill introduced for Vermont style

This is a discussion on South Carolina bill introduced for Vermont style within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Heard this on the local news today. Still not found any details. But it appears legislation has been introduced to change the permit process to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: South Carolina bill introduced for Vermont style

South Carolina bill introduced for Vermont style

Heard this on the local news today. Still not found any details. But it appears legislation has been introduced to change the permit process to automatically allow carry for law abiding citizens.

This is actually how our Governor feels about it. He almost vetoed the Concealed Carry permit laws for this very reason. He feels no permit should be needed. It should be an individual choice.

So... be interesting how this one goes. Anyone find any details, post them up. I was just able to catch the verbal on it while I was coming into the room as it ended.

2. Remove Ads

good luck.....
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Yea.. it will be a fight...

But interesting reading on the argument for it. Which is being used to argue for it...

Why Adopt A Vermont-style CCW Law?

Ok here is one confirming report

http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=9490667

That's good news.
    Sig Sauer P229 Elite imm Stainless - Click for pictures
    Sig Sauer P239 SAS II (SRT) 9mm with Crimson Trace Laser
    Sig Sauer Mosquito
    Spyderco Native(s)
    Surefire G2 LED Light
    ....I have the Signess.

That's great news...Good luck, indeed.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    Heard this on the local news today. Still not found any details. But it appears legislation has been introduced to change the permit process to automatically allow carry for law abiding citizens.

This is actually how our Governor feels about it. He almost vetoed the Concealed Carry permit laws for this very reason. He feels no permit should be needed. It should be an individual choice.

So... be interesting how this one goes. Anyone find any details, post them up. I was just able to catch the verbal on it while I was coming into the room as it ended.
    This will be a nice move to nation wide "Vermont" style carry. Just in time too. I think Obama will push a lot of states into this style of carry. Shall issue happened under Clinton... "Vermont issue" will happen under Obama.

The idea of 'Vermont Style' carry sounds fabulous! What can we non-South Carolinians do to help in the fight?

Brian

Best of luck to you on this new development.
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

On the down side, if SC does away with the carry permits, we will no longer have reciprocity with other states.
    "The trouble with small furry animals in a corner is that, just occasionally, one of them's a mongoose." - Terry Pratchett, Witches Abroad

Member: NRA - GOA - Grassroots SC

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Engine1 View Post
    On the down side, if SC does away with the carry permits, we will no longer have reciprocity with other states.
    Unless they do it Alaska style. No permit required to carry there, but if you want one to carry elsewhere you can get one.

This is old news. It very likely wont pass. Also, it wont do away with CC permits but rather will allow open carry with no permit.

The grass roots folks say they are looking into the bill to get a grip on it but Ive heard they've said this bill would leave us worse off than we are.

Im not so sure about that but hey Im no lawyer either.

I have no problem with folks wanting to open carry but really my two issues that Id like GR to address are 1) restaurant carry where alchohol is served and 2) allowing CWP holders to pick up their kids from school with being made into criminals.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Don't know what the law says, but if it does mimic Vermont, fantastic!. Only thing better is Alaska, where a permit is an option if wanted for reciprocity purposes (good until we achieve true freedom nationwide).

All restriction to carry, cc or not, should be removed. All prohibited places should be removed, with a VERY few possible exceptions. This is the way it was in the USA years ago. It didn't present a problem then. It wouldn't present a problem now. Except of course for the criminals .
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

In Vermont you can request a "permit" so you can be honored in other states.

This should be the law in the US. Perhaps Obama could make this "Change for the Better"

It would surprise me to have this happen, but stranger things have happened.

Good luck with the efforts!

Stay armed...we'll see...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by AllAmerican View Post
    This is old news. It very likely wont pass. Also, it wont do away with CC permits but rather will allow open carry with no permit.

The grass roots folks say they are looking into the bill to get a grip on it but Ive heard they've said this bill would leave us worse off than we are.

Im not so sure about that but hey Im no lawyer either.

I have no problem with folks wanting to open carry but really my two issues that Id like GR to address are 1) restaurant carry where alchohol is served and 2) allowing CWP holders to pick up their kids from school with being made into criminals.
    I am currently talking with my State Representative about the issues you stated above. From the responces I am getting I think he will try and get it billed. (And hopefully passed)

The other thing I have heard is they will keep CWP as an option so we don't loose reciprocity with the states we have now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links